Author Topic: Bomb sight snafu  (Read 685 times)

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
Bomb sight snafu
« on: September 12, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »
Last night me and squad go in to bomb a base and shut it down.  Normally speaking I can hit my targets with the tu2.  I get on my line, jump into bomber position, check e6b, make adjustments.  Alls set, I calibrate and when I do my bomb sight was all discombobulated and seemed to be looking sideways.  I missed my drop by a long long shot.  The sight appeared to be looking to the rear.  I caught it before my drop, got in and out several times and it never did look right.  Did I do something wrong or could it be a bug or??????   

I'm not one to make excuses for stuff but I'm scratching my head on this one.
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Bomb sight snafu
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:52:21 AM »
Last night me and squad go in to bomb a base and shut it down.  Normally speaking I can hit my targets with the tu2.  I get on my line, jump into bomber position, check e6b, make adjustments.  Alls set, I calibrate and when I do my bomb sight was all discombobulated and seemed to be looking sideways.  I missed my drop by a long long shot.  The sight appeared to be looking to the rear.  I caught it before my drop, got in and out several times and it never did look right.  Did I do something wrong or could it be a bug or??????   

I'm not one to make excuses for stuff but I'm scratching my head on this one.

I know on the Arado it does this if you forget to select your bombs after you use RATOs. Maybe similar  :headscratch:
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »
I had the proper load selected. 
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 12:58:09 PM »
That was very strange! We'll have to change the name of the squad from Mighty 8th, to the slightly impressive 8th.... :x     :salute

You did only have a single plane, but I couldn't see that causing the snafu you encountered.  Perhaps you had moved the bombsight without realizing it, and it calibrated on that new point instead of the default?!

At any rate, perhaps a couple short runs to attempt to re-create the issue is in order....
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »
Na kb I had my other drones but after my failed attempt I ditched them to go on the war path.  It was really strange because I couldn't see the targets until directly over them.  You know how the sight appears to be at a forward angle? It never did that yet stayed facing straight down.

I'm down to give it another go but last nights performance was horrible.  I'm better at reeking havoc in my m18 or brew. 

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 06:19:32 PM »
Had it happen after jumping from a gun position, I just did a quick recal and it was all better.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
That's always happened but it's been so long since I flew a bomber I'm having a hard tine remembering why it happens.

IIRC it's because you forgot to complete the calibration process i.e. you hit Y, held down U to calibrate then forgot to hit Y again to complete the process.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »

havnt tried this so not even sure if it would work... but is it possible you hit f10 while in calibration mode, saving that "head position" ? or maybe you "U" on keyboard is starting to go ?
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers