Author Topic: New Map  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: New Map
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 11:57:45 AM »

I agree citabria, I have never understood the big map complaints, seems people are never happy whatever is going on.  If the maps are small people tend to furball and others complain about it. If the maps are large people complain because they can't find a instant fight. GO to a field any nme base and start your own fight. Some one will up when they see a base flashing.

I was very happy with big maps as long as we had the numbers for it. As a matter of fact, I lobbied hard after the arena split for getting them back into game, because I love the more varied gameplay options they offer
But these large maps were designed for a time when we had the numbers to support it.

And as for "starting a fight", that's mostly illusory in a low population arena with 8 times more fields than players. When I logged in today, we were 34 people total, labout half of them 'inflight' all over the place. Not a single red darbar anywhere on our frontlines. The only actual battle I could see by darbars & flashing bases was between the other two countries. Us knights rolled a few fields here and there without any major resistance. I did fly a set of Ju-88 at 8.5k through the radar ring of a hostile airfield to bomb a factory. No one upped.

On small maps there's a bigger chance to get any actual battles going with populations that low. Or you can at least fly to the one between the other two countries.

And that's why I didn't want to have Ozkansas up during the week. Or tagme. And not even compello, my favourite terrain of them all.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 03:33:01 PM »
A map designed for 300-600 players doesn't work as designed when there are less than 100 players on the map, it doesn't matter who designs it.

As for starting a fight, ya that works for the first run. After that the defenders know your not there to TAKE anything and so move to defend some place else as there are so few who defend any way.

Then there should be no complaining if no one wants to up for the 1v1 fights we always hear about people wanting and claim they can't get. That just tells me people want the horde or furball fights. That can be done on a large or small map if that is what you want to do.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 04:12:55 PM »
Fester,

I remember your efforts. And Oz is not forgotten.

Lusche's constant graphing the rise and decline of player numbers, along with his analysis. In some circles would be described as a self fulfilling prophecy in synchronicity ongoing with the event. Human nature is that the weakest will see the stats as gospel because they are accepted by HTC in the forums, while applauded by the community. Then without a word or warning leave out of despair because the world is ending. Just like television adds designed to sway public opinion towards or away from voting for someone. You can't beat stats for their naked effectiveness on the human psyche.

Lusche is doing nothing wrong in a technical sense, and holds the moral high ground of being simply the medium pointing to the tragedy. Not the source of the tragedy. Like reporters who publish stories that do no one any kindness or justice in the name of being a "reporter". Even if in retrospect, it might have been better to coddle the weaker AH members to help them stay longer as the greater Christian kindness to everyone. But, then his graphs have made him a community rock star.

Even I have had my less than stellar Aces High moments over gunsights and gunnery for no more than my 15 minutes of shame.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 04:19:49 PM »
I suggest if people can't find fights the problem is the people, not the map or anything else. As long as there are two persons or more in the game finding a fight should be easy, if everyone actually wants to fight...
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 05:03:30 PM »
I suggest if people can't find fights the problem is the people, not the map or anything else. As long as there are two persons or more in the game finding a fight should be easy, if everyone actually wants to fight...

for once we agree on something  :aok  I have never had a problem finding a fight at all ever, but then again I don't care about my score my rank whatever this is supposed to be a game where you have fun...  now I would imagine if you actually care about your rank and your score and your kill death ratio  you'll be a little bit more picky trying to find the fight that you want as to protect the almighty rank, score, K/d blahblahblah... 
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 05:46:45 PM »
Then there should be no complaining if no one wants to up for the 1v1 fights we always hear about people wanting and claim they can't get. That just tells me people want the horde or furball fights. That can be done on a large or small map if that is what you want to do.

How does lower numbers equal a better chance at finding 1 vs 1 fights?

And there you have it. I wish Lusche could do a pie chart that shows the percentages of players who want to fight, tank, bomb, grab bases, and so on.

Even if we pick some arbitrary number like "10% of players like to 1 vs 1". In a field of 600 thats 60 players, in a field of 100 it's 10. In a field of 30 like Lusche posted above, it's 3. Then spread those "3" out across a 512x512 map. How often will they run into each other?