Author Topic: Warpage  (Read 2051 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Warpage
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2014, 12:29:59 PM »
When you consider that every encounter is your connection travel time plus the other player's connection travel time, it becomes obvious that any advantage or disadvantage is shared by both players. The possible exception being the mutual pilot death collision kill assignment.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2014, 12:50:57 PM »
I have only seen what looked like controlled warping twice, both times it was the same person during the same sortie.  I will call it controlled warping only because I have never seen warping like this before of since.  Flickering might be a better choice of words albeit there was some displacement.

The first time I was attacked by the person then reversed on the red and the warping began.  I broke off.  Then the red turned on another green and the warping stopped until another green got on the persons 6 and the warp-flicker began again.

I have not seen it since or anything like that.  By the time I got my keyboard up and started filming the red went down.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »
Saw it happening last night.  I have a hard time believing it's something benign, my fault, my connection, the intardnet, or someone farting causing the problem.  When a single player repeatedly levels off (as though baiting you in) then vanishes at about 600, only to reappear behind you... there's something wrong, and "aw shucks" is not an acceptable answer (which is exactly what you'll get without a film).
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »
Accept it as part of the game and/or send it in if its suspicious.  Anything else is like worrying about a giant meteor strike.  I can't control it on my end and assume 99.99% of players can't or don't bother attempting to.  Any tiny amount of players who's life is so pathetic they would induce lag, shade for info, or try and hack anything can have some extra kills on me, it may be all they have.
AMAX  in game

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
Saw it happening last night.  I have a hard time believing it's something benign, my fault, my connection, the intardnet, or someone farting causing the problem.  When a single player repeatedly levels off (as though baiting you in) then vanishes at about 600, only to reappear behind you... there's something wrong, and "aw shucks" is not an acceptable answer (which is exactly what you'll get without a film).

With it happening repeatedly, why on earth didn't you roll film?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »
Flying about running from fights and hoing before diving into and circling ackalso affects other people's enjoyment of the game but no one is advocating we ban these guys, and they do have a choice as opposed to the guy who has no option but bad Internet signal

You fail at logic and reasoning. The original example of a player warping is bypassing and manipulation of an established gameplay mechanic, while the other - your example - is simply preference. If you cannot differentiate between a player making a game unplayable in one aspect or another due to something that is not valid gameplay versus someone playing a way you dislike, we have bigger problems than the simple discussion of warping.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »
If it is affecting the gameplay mechanics for other players? Absolutely. You would presumably receive a warning or notice that your connection was subpar, so you wouldn't be banned unless you persisted in playing with your known-to-be subpar connection.

If someone was purposefully messing with their connection to make them warp and affect their ability to be hit, the overwhelming majority here would have no issue with banning them. Why then should someone with an identically-same problem receive a pass because it's due to their ISP? Rules are enforced got the purpose of fair gameplay, not to make people happy.

If you cannot afford or otherwise obtain a good connection, you have no business forcing your connection problems on others. Only a selfish person would argue otherwise.

Can you name one MMO that bans players for having a poor internet connection?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2014, 04:28:11 PM »
Can you name one MMO that bans players for having a poor internet connection?

ack-ack

Of course I can, but the way you worded your argument is already disingenuous (and I know you're well aware of that). No company bans for a "poor connection" - they ban when that poor connection disrupts the gameplay of others, i.e. game-disrupting lag. You also know as well as I do that most MMO's are not twitch/first-per-shooter based, they are RPG-mechanic based. RPG-based games do not typically ban players, because lag usually only matters up to the delay of the first move. Additionally, the lagging player is almost always at a disadvantage in an RPG game due to the offense/defense style of gameplay, unlike a first-person shooter where position of a single player matters to all involved parties.

That said, virtually all major twitch/FPS games ban based on lag.

Battlefield 1/2/3
COD 1/2/3/4
Black Ops 1, 2
Xbox Live (for connections with high packet loss)

And that's just what I can think of within 10 seconds.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:36:15 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »
Of course I can, but the way you worded your argument is already disingenuous (and I know you're well aware of that). You know as well as I do that most MMO's are not twitch/first-per-shooter based, they are RPG-mechanic based. RPG-based games do not typically ban players, because lag usually only matters up to the delay of the first move. Additionally, the lagging player is almost always at a disadvantage in an RPG game due to the offense/defense style of gameplay, unlike a first-person shooter where position of a single player matters to all involved parties.

That said, virtually all major twitch/FPS games ban based on lag.

Battlefield 3
COD 1/2/3/4
Black Ops 1, 2
Xbox Live (for connections with high packet loss)

And that's just what I can think of within 10 seconds.

Those games are different than AH in that there are multiple servers to select from, you can pick the server that best matches your ping and you're also not banned.  Depending how the server is configured, you may be prohibited from getting into a server with a high ping rate or you may be kicked from the server if your ping rate goes down the crapper but you won't be banned.  If your ping rate improves and is below the server's threshold, then you can connect again.  At least that's how it is for the PC versions of those games you listed.

I agree that if someone has a 1000ms ping rate and trying to connect to AH, they shouldn't be allowed to but to ban them is a little harsh, especially if its just a temporary connection issue.  It is also not good for business to ban a customer for that reason.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »

You're also not banned.

You're not banned by default, but if you're manually reviewed and found to have bad lag, especially if you're a repeat offender, you can and most usually are banned, ESPECIALLY on clan and tournament servers.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2014, 08:39:01 PM »
Imadaot had it correct on the first page. Think of all those packets. They have to get to the server and back. I f you get someone warping just fly away. and becomes a issue just fly away.
I remember sending a film in once, the plane had no wings, on fire and just kept on flying around.
Skuzzy to told me it was a packet isuue.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2014, 09:39:48 PM »
I think some need to find competitive activities that aren't over their Xbox or computer.
See Rule #4

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2014, 11:05:15 PM »
A long time ago in aces high, on a much older system i had a virus program "never intended i assure you, i was ingame when the sob kicked off and would alt/tab out cause the game would hit very low fps" anyhow, i would skyrocket into the air at dang near warp speed to whatever alt i wanted, after a few mins it was all normal fps would return and all was smooth. Frightening really. i know most people would say it was the game catching up while i was alt tabbed out, and i would assume that, if i didnt have full control upto 20k+ in under 6 seconds. And no that system was not bad enough to be alt tabbed out that long,just a few off buttons"  :rock

Enjoyable? god no...could it be used to a advantage? Im sure.

Still it was always a big wtf moment...made the me162 laughable.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2014, 11:51:22 PM »
You fail at logic and reasoning. The original example of a player warping is bypassing and manipulation of an established gameplay mechanic, while the other - your example - is simply preference. If you cannot differentiate between a player making a game unplayable in one aspect or another due to something that is not valid gameplay versus someone playing a way you dislike, we have bigger problems than the simple discussion of warping.

Neither makes the game unplayable, both affect the enjoyment of gameplay by others
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright