Author Topic: HQ and radar with low numbers  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Tracers

• Copper Member
Re: HQ and radar with low numbers
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2014, 07:41:48 PM »
But it's a legitimate target and he's free to do so. HQs are there to be bombed and destroyed and you can't really blame a player for doing so.
That the current incarnation of this mechanism is flawed is a different matter.

Maybe it's time to drop the HQ's even more to send out a strong message...  ;)

Yes HQ is a legitimate target but you are missing the point of the thread mate. That taking it out in low number times is chitty and hurts the game in instead of growing its player base. I know some friends have stopped playing completely because of HQ being down so often. Might not seem like a big deal there in the US  because you still have numbers and find a fight but in Aus it can ruin a night and be a deal breaker for some.
Your tears feed me 😃

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2014, 07:49:10 PM »
Yes HQ is a legitimate target but you are missing the point of the thread mate.

Do I?

Well, what is the point of this thread then? Making people stop killing HQ? You will never ever achieve that.
The only thing you can hope for is convincing HTC that the mechanism is flawed and to change it. You can't change people. As long as the HQ is there, it will be bombed, no matter how disruptive the effect will be.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2014, 10:39:07 PM »
On my way to kill a HQ now...

Which one we'll find out...

:banana: :airplane: :banana:
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2014, 12:00:41 AM »
the best idea I've seen though is to make the ack more effective,as going higher means its only worth doing if your'e good enough

I don't think you can do this presently (make the ack more effective at just one location).

But I like the idea.

- oldman

Offline Tracers

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2014, 12:52:49 AM »

Do I?

Well, what is the point of this thread then? Making people stop killing HQ? You will never ever achieve that.
The only thing you can hope for is convincing HTC that the mechanism is flawed and to change it. You can't change people. As long as the HQ is there, it will be bombed, no matter how disruptive the effect will be.

Actually Lusche you clearly are missing the point. The point is not about stopping people bombing the hQ it's about the effect it has on the game when it happens while you are blissfully asleep while other people in the world are trying to play.

It's hard enough to find a fight in this timezone as it is without some A hole making a third of the arena quit... But it cool mate enjoy your server with 300 people in it because you are in the US.

Yes you are completely missing the point of this thread
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:59:59 AM by Tracers »
Your tears feed me 😃

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2014, 12:58:36 AM »
Upped some lancs last night for knight HQ. Announced on 200 that I was gonna try to bomb a HQ. I was at 10K and showing a darbar for 5 sectors, even passing through some dar rings. Nobody came for me, what a surprise! Like almost always, and I rarely fly above 14K. As long as my lancasters face no opposition, I'll keep busting the HQ. Not for score (got 1.22 perks last night  :rofl) but because it's fun, a legitimate target and helps my squad mates drop strats and come back alive.

I need no 150 octane fuel. Knight tears fuel my lancasters!  :old:
Started from the bottom...still at the bottom.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2014, 02:38:20 AM »
But it cool mate enjoy your server with 300 people in it because you are in the US.

Lusche is in Germany.  Probably closer to your time zone than ours.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2014, 03:41:36 AM »
Another one who brag and don't understand the point of the OP...omg.  :rolleyes:

Upped some lancs last night for knight HQ. Announced on 200 that I was gonna try to bomb a HQ. I was at 10K and showing a darbar for 5 sectors, even passing through some dar rings. Nobody came for me, what a surprise! Like almost always, and I rarely fly above 14K. As long as my lancasters face no opposition, I'll keep busting the HQ. Not for score (got 1.22 perks last night  :rofl) but because it's fun, a legitimate target and helps my squad mates drop strats and come back alive.

" Army Of Wolves "

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2014, 06:00:42 AM »
Actually Lusche you clearly are missing the point. The point is not about stopping people bombing the hQ it's about the effect it has on the game when it happens while you are blissfully asleep while other people in the world are trying to play.

It's hard enough to find a fight in this timezone as it is without some A hole making a third of the arena quit... But it cool mate enjoy your server with 300 people in it because you are in the US.

When I log into AH for the first time each day, it's between 30-50 players. At the start of my local prime time, it's about 90 players.

And you seem to ignore pretty much anything else I have said about the current HQ mechanism. :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:27:03 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2014, 06:28:49 AM »
The trend i see here is that the "furballers" have their blinders on and only care about the furball and when the precious HQ goes down they cry.
 These are the same people that will never never lift a finger to defend it or re-supply it.

For us that like the "win the war" gameplay,its all about strategy.

yeah go ahead and flame me,just voicing my opinion  :)

At this point you either are wearing your own blinders or simply don't care if we lose "any" quality play during a time that doesn't directly effect you.

Take those blinders off and what you will see, is that some of our good off hours players (those who, like me have either odd schedules of work or live in different time zones) have paid our subscriptions to be able to PLAY ONLINE AGAINST OTHER PLAYERS.  This obsession to take out HQ and piss off folks has run its course, and that is only MAGNIFIED WHEN NUMBERS ARE LOW.

In early (off hours) arena play, the removal of all functions for radar (enemy and friendly dot and dar) demolishes all indications of any INTERACTION WITH OTHER ONLINE PLAYERS. 

Wake up (early) and smell the coffee.   If this continues it will not end well.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:48:14 AM by Chilli »

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2014, 07:20:29 AM »
The trend i see here is that the "furballers" have their blinders on and only care about the furball and when the precious HQ goes down they cry.
 These are the same people that will never never lift a finger to defend it or re-supply it.

For us that like the "win the war" gameplay,its all about strategy.

yeah go ahead and flame me,just voicing my opinion  :)
Well said!  :aok
I noticed on Bish side many times  same lame defence or nonparticipation on resuping efforts!
Most important valid strategic tgt, bomb it defend it or cry in the darkness. Too bad they didn't add it in map reset formula over the years.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:23:18 AM by ghi »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2014, 07:54:47 AM »

Tracer gets the point of the thread. And I myself mentioned that during normal hours when the bulk of the people are on there is nothing wrong with bombing HQ.
The point is once the numbers drop to a certain point Killing HQ becomes detrimental to the game. Not only for the players already there. but anyone who comes in. Especially new folk.

As I mentioned in my OP This time of play (9:30 AM EST) is extremely rare for me anymore. But back in the days when I was checking out new games and just getting hooked on games like Airwarrior. I would typically do it on weekend mornings because 1 -I had the time to relax for a couple of hours before everyone got up so I could check new games out and learn without wife or child ack. 2 It allowed me to be involved in smaller fights so I could learn better without having to take on 10 at a time. Now we are talking about a time when I was impressing myself if I got more then 2 or 3 kills a day

As a newbie back then not knowing much of anything about anything in the game If I had logged in then and saw what I saw yesterday. I would have thought nobody was playing because it looks like an empty arena and there is little chatter going on to indicate otherwise and I would have logged and moved onto something else. And that was in the day ( almost 20 years ago) when there weren't a ton of other online games out there so there were far less choices. Now the choices for online gaming is vast by comparison. Not to mention the types of systems that they can be run on. Xbox etc.
First impressions are more important now then they ever were. And entering an arena that for all intents and purposes looks empty leaves a terrible first impression. And even a second or third. Because not only do you want to attract customers. But you want them to keep coming back.

As a player I must admit my reasons are selfish. I like this game. I want this game to succeed and stay around because I'd like to be able to keep on playing this game. I'm guessing Tracer probably feels about the same way. But how long can he stay around with people either not staying or logging off? How many new people in his timezone, or any of the others that dont match our US primetime have come. looked in and said. "Not any/many people here. Must not be fun" and left never to return?

Numbers are low enough as it is during our off hours. And even getting to that point during our prime hours the last thing we as players want is to see less people logging in and staying.
Folks want to play the part of greifer particularly during off hours. Go right ahead. Just remember these words when one day in the future you say "I remember how much fun I used to have playing that game" when its no longer there for you to enjoy.

BTW I like the idea of making HQ more difficult to drop. Make it more vast and expansive or something. But as someone mentioned . the one thing that has the greatest impact on an entire side should not be able to be destroyed by one player, one or even two sets of bombers one one mission and should be anything but a milkrun. Quadruple the amount of puffy ack
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2014, 07:56:48 AM »
I noticed on Bish side many times  same lame defence or nonparticipation on resuping efforts!
Most important valid strategic tgt, bomb it defend it or cry in the darkness. Too bad they didn't add it in map reset formula over the years.

Another one who doesnt get it.

During prime time is one thing. Its about the off hours play.
Spend much time playing when there are only a few people on?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2014, 08:24:33 AM »
Bring back the mega strat system & place HQ dead in the middle. This will stop the single formation of Lancaster's flying NOE all the way to HQ & pulling the nose up at the last moment to down HQ.

The ring of flack towers on the mega strat system will at least force them higher much earlier.

This. You cannot change the dynamic of the game based upon a number on the clock, so for the moment this is the only fix.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2014, 08:45:32 AM »

So your saying you ENJOY running goons to HQ? You ENJOY dropping out of a mission to jump into a 163 to defend HQ against a lone set of lancs? Well thats great, now all we need is a couple hundred other players that ENJOY doing it too!

We have to remember that this is a game we are PAYING to play. If players cant find any place to play, why would they keep PAYING? That all this should boil down to. Just one more thing chasing people AWAY from the game. We need a few more things to make people want to STAY not leave. NOBODY enjoys running goons, NOBODY enjoys dropping out of a mission to defend HQ. We here to play and have fun.

Even prime time US last night (a Saturday night) the numbers never hit 300 players.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:47:59 AM by The Fugitive »