Author Topic: HQ and radar with low numbers  (Read 5810 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: HQ and radar with low numbers
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »
I'm sure this is obvious for everyone and has been brought up before, however:

It's the bardar, gents. That's it. A tool for the ten second scan. Bases still flash. Radar rings still work
(unless someone took it out). The buffer text still works. Is there nobody amongst the twenty or so
players on your side that will respond 'Yeah, we got a fight at A21!'? An extra twenty second effort.

Just sayin.'

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2014, 11:32:14 AM »
This. You cannot change the dynamic of the game based upon a number on the clock, so for the moment this is the only fix.

No but you can do it based on the number of players.
Such as is done with ENY
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2014, 11:35:44 AM »
I'm sure this is obvious for everyone and has been brought up before, however:

(Image removed from quote.)

It's the bardar, gents. That's it. A tool for the ten second scan. Bases still flash. Radar rings still work
(unless someone took it out). The buffer text still works. Is there nobody amongst the twenty or so
players on your side that will respond 'Yeah, we got a fight at A21!'? An extra twenty second effort.

Just sayin.'

cept that when HQ is down. Both dot dar and bar dar are down regardless of what is happening with the local dar ring
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2014, 12:13:52 PM »
cept that when HQ is down. Both dot dar and bar dar are down regardless of what is happening with the local dar ring

Which, with flashing bases and red radar rings as well as a roster count means it's not worth the time to type on country
channel (or 200, for that matter) to see if there's more than 65 girls doing milkruns and maybe get the precise coordinates
for a fight how? I see guys do that with the HQ up.

I guess a dead HQ isn't the crisis to me that i see others make of it. If new players are having as hard a time as is being
claimed, add it to the arena info that pops up.

"When your HQ is down so is your bardar and dotdar. You'll have to ask around to find a fight. P.S. Protect your HQ."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2014, 12:30:26 PM »
"When your HQ is down so is your bardar and dotdar. You'll have to ask around to find a fight. P.S. Protect your HQ."

Just one of several examples, SFMA. How do you protect this HQ from a NOE raider?

(Ignore A10 beign green, that was just for testing purposes)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2014, 12:44:40 PM »
HQ placement  really needs to change, in some maps it's impossible to defend against raiders. In other maps you can't go NOE to the HQ, or must pass through some radars, but that's a minority. Same deal with AAA strats. In some maps a country will have it inside a radar circle, and another country won't. That doesn't really help balancing the game.

I wish we could go back to the central strats AND have the HQ by the city, protected by the city ack.
Started from the bottom...still at the bottom.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2014, 12:49:43 PM »
I wish we could go back to the central strats AND have the HQ by the city, protected by the city ack.

:aok

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2014, 12:57:08 PM »
Which, with flashing bases and red radar rings as well as a roster count means it's not worth the time to type on country
channel (or 200, for that matter) to see if there's more than 65 girls doing milkruns and maybe get the precise coordinates
for a fight how? I see guys do that with the HQ up.

I guess a dead HQ isn't the crisis to me that i see others make of it. If new players are having as hard a time as is being
claimed, add it to the arena info that pops up.

Here ya go. There are almost 200 players on. The bases that are red are the ones flashing. Wheres the fight? Remember your new and you may not even know what a flashing field means.

Lusche is pointing out that it is too easy to get close enough to hit HQ WITHOUT sending up any kind of warning flag, and when you do finally send one up there isn't anything in the game that can get there and save it.

The OP is point out that in a low populated arena this is what a new player will see. A few flashing bases. Even should they guess right and up at a flashing base how many time will they have to get vulched before they call it quits?

There is more to lose with dar being so devastating than there is to gain.

oh and by the way, in the picture above there is only one fight going, it's in the north. The others are single planes looking to do porking runs.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2014, 01:27:14 PM »
HQ placement  really needs to change, in some maps it's impossible to defend against raiders. In other maps you can't go NOE to the HQ, or must pass through some radars, but that's a minority. Same deal with AAA strats. In some maps a country will have it inside a radar circle, and another country won't. That doesn't really help balancing the game.

So ..... it's not so much HTC but map designers that may need to address the issue. Good point.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2014, 01:28:57 PM »
So ..... it's not so much HTC but map designers that may need to address the issue. Good point.

HTC has to adress the imbalance.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2014, 01:36:55 PM »
HTC has to address the imbalance.

Why? If the maps can be designed/redesigned to make HQ milk runs nearly impossible
for a single player to carry out, that seems to address the problem.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 01:51:58 PM by Arlo »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2014, 01:51:22 PM »
Why? If the maps can be designed/redesigned to make HQ milk runs nearly impossible
for a single player to carry out seems that addresses the problem.

You only addressed part of the issue. As long as a single set of bombers can take down the HQ and downtimes & resupply system are what they are now, you have one single player being able to perform the by far most disruptive attack possible all on his own.
In my book that's just wrong. It should take a comparable massive amount of effort to destroy it , it the effort should at least somewhat scaled to the outcome.

When there are like 10 or even less active players in your country (yes, that's real numbers), you will often be hard pressed to get up any HQ defense at all, even if you can now see him coming all the time. Even then you have to take into account that actually many players can't afford a Me 163 at all. When there are 200+ in the arena, you'd probably right with "they should have defended" if the HQ was in a non-NOEable position. But with 30-50 players online total (of only a part is actually active at all), this is just illusionary.

So there's a single raider taking down the HQ for maybe 100 minutes. With so few players on, you can about forget resupping it under the current system, unless you put all of them in goons for a long time.

Harden the HQ to much more than 37,500 lbs, or cut the connection between city or HQ or find a different, less overall disruptive effect.

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2014, 02:14:57 PM »
Its also about people like myself who cannot spend hours in here on a regular basis. When I log on I want to see a fight so I can get up, get a few fights in before I have to leave. If the HQ is down, as has happened many times lately when I log on, I cannot waste time looking for a fight, so I log off right away. I am sure there are many people, new and old in the same situation. For those of us who cannot spend the time in here to worry about "winning the war" it needs to change to at least leave some indicator of where people are located.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2014, 02:19:35 PM »
You only addressed part of the issue. As long as a single set of bombers can take down the HQ and downtimes & resupply system are what they are now, you have one single player being able to perform the by far most disruptive attack possible all on his own.
In my book that's just wrong. It should take a comparable massive amount of effort to destroy it , it the effort should at least somewhat scaled to the outcome.

When there are like 10 or even less active players in your country (yes, that's real numbers), you will often be hard pressed to get up any HQ defense at all, even if you can now see him coming all the time. Even then you have to take into account that actually many players can't afford a Me 163 at all. When there are 200+ in the arena, you'd probably right with "they should have defended" if the HQ was in a non-NOEable position. But with 30-50 players online total (of only a part is actually active at all), this is just illusionary.

So there's a single raider taking down the HQ for maybe 100 minutes. With so few players on, you can about forget resupping it under the current system, unless you put all of them in goons for a long time.

Harden the HQ to much more than 37,500 lbs, or cut the connection between city or HQ or find a different, less overall disruptive effect.

From your response (minus the first sentence) my suggestion completely addresses the issue (no partly about it). What you're saying is my suggestion isn't effective enough (surrounding the HQ with dar rings, ack and fields*). All you are doing is trying to drag HT into making the HQ take more bombs on top of that. Well ok then. But I don't see the necessity. In other words, to me, this is just one more 'Hey look. The sky is falling and its all HTC's fault. Game'll be dead because of it.' threads. Meanwhile Dale and co. are busting their collective tokusi to code us new graphics after which, iirc, so many threads telling us the sky was falling and its all HTC's fault because they refuse to make the game as pretty as WT (a game most agree doesn't hold a candle to AH, overall) spammed the forum (my advice to the masses - play more, whine less, post something more productive).

I've watched this thread go from -

I logged because I couldn't find a fight during off hours when someone took out my HQ.

to

Well, I might coulda found a fight if I tried a little harder but what about the new guys (as if we were never once)? They'll log quicker than me! Sky is falling - all HT's fault!

to

HT can fix this, we can't! (Even if, really, we could. Map makers can make it just as hard to bomb the HQ as HT can.) SKY REALLY IS FALLING! IT'S THE END!

*Remember your map example? There was that corridor for the sole porker to take advantage of. My suggestion addresses specifically that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now ..... I'd like to suggest all take a collective breath and think for a bit. This has been the HQ by design for awhile now. It's nothing new. Even a new guy should be able to wrap his noodle around it. The sky isn't falling. This isn't the end.

But .... someday this game will end. More than likely it'll be a tired Dale announcing Aces High is shutting the doors. He'll be professional, business-like and friendly about it. I can't help but think, though, (and it's just my take) that the thought 'You can please some of the customers all the time, you can please all of the customers some of the time (that's a rare miracle- usually countable in seconds) but you can't please all of them all of the time no matter how hard you try.' will have happened often enough to influence the decision (at least speed it up, maybe). Would me, you buncha ingrates.  ;) :D :cheers:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2014, 02:26:33 PM »
All you are doing is trying to drag HT into making the HQ take more bombs on top of that.

"drag HT in?"

So your proposal of redesigning all maps ain't? Because that's what it comes down to, if you want to "surrounding the HQ with dar rings, ack and fields)" they have to do exactly that. And it's even more work than just upping the HQ hardness or simply untie the connection to the City.