Author Topic: Question Brought up in a duel.  (Read 892 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Question Brought up in a duel.
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:44:30 PM »
Just got finished with a good 1v1 set.(Will not post his name unless he does himself).

Does anyone know where that rolling scissors training film is? I searched for it and couldn't find it.

I believe his problem was that he wasn't using lag pursuit in the rolling scissors, he kept over shooting. He thinks it was his throttle control, judging from what I saw he looked to be trying to take lead on me which in rolling scissors will force an over shoot....am I wrong there? I've always thought you should try to get to a spot about 1-2 planes lengths behind your opponent.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Question Brought up in a duel.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 10:17:40 PM »
The rolling scissors is a tail chase with vertical turns. You want to minimize your forward travel while out turning your opponent. It's easy to fly out in front if you just watch your opponent and ignore the horizon. Use the horizon to control your vertical angle. If you get too far from the vertical in your loops you will fly out in front. Staying more vertical will keep your loops closer together and limit your forward travel. You are correct that you want to use lag pursuit when you are looking up at your opponent however when you are inverted looking down on your opponent you can use lead pursuit and transition to lag pursuit as your nose comes up again.

Since your best turn is at corner speed and you can add drag by turning hard, you only need to reduce throttle when you can't stay at or below corner speed by turning hard.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:07:19 AM »
Does anyone know where that rolling scissors training film is? I searched for it and couldn't find it.
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/rollingscissors/rollingscissors.htm
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 12:03:45 PM »
God bless dedicated ACM enthusiasts. Shows that our game is still alive and healthy.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 01:08:08 PM »
The rolling scissors is a tail chase with vertical turns. You want to minimize your forward travel while out turning your opponent. It's easy to fly out in front if you just watch your opponent and ignore the horizon. Use the horizon to control your vertical angle. If you get too far from the vertical in your loops you will fly out in front. Staying more vertical will keep your loops closer together and limit your forward travel. You are correct that you want to use lag pursuit when you are looking up at your opponent however when you are inverted looking down on your opponent you can use lead pursuit and transition to lag pursuit as your nose comes up again.

Since your best turn is at corner speed and you can add drag by turning hard, you only need to reduce throttle when you can't stay at or below corner speed by turning hard.

This is money.

Thank you, sir.
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 01:44:20 PM »
Thank you!!!!  :rock :salute
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
I am the one who shall not be named lol, but like an idiot I didn't check to see if I was recording. We will need to do it again so I can record them, I do have a problem with scissors and judging how much I should or shouldn't try to slow down. The problem here is not that, out of the 8 fights we had maybe 3 were rolling scissors , the real problem was in the initial defensive roll that Junky (and many others do), there were quite a few missed opportunities and hits that had no effect.

Again, I need to record the fights so maybe we can discuss them. This would make much more sense then..

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 06:05:46 PM »
The problem here is not that, out of the 8 fights we had maybe 3 were rolling scissors , the real problem was in the initial defensive roll that Junky (and many others do), there were quite a few missed opportunities and hits that had no effect.

I just think you need to fly planes with more and bigger guns.  :aok ;)
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 12:39:52 AM »
I am the one who shall not be named lol, but like an idiot I didn't check to see if I was recording. We will need to do it again so I can record them, I do have a problem with scissors and judging how much I should or shouldn't try to slow down. The problem here is not that, out of the 8 fights we had maybe 3 were rolling scissors , the real problem was in the initial defensive roll that Junky (and many others do), there were quite a few missed opportunities and hits that had no effect.

Again, I need to record the fights so maybe we can discuss them. This would make much more sense then..
Bolded part, Didn't want to throw you out there without permission....not trying to hide anything.

I reviewed a few of the fights and found I am partially correct, When we did go into those rolling scissors(which were in the first 4 fights, right about the time I hinted at the lag/lead pursuit. In the LAs we were mostly stuck in almost a flat turn fight) My Rolls were larger then yours, my speed was higher then yours at the base of them.

What I didn't see in the fight is that your actually NOT rolling, your pushing forward on your stick at the top where I would be rolling over and it's causing 2 things. You to Dump E(The energy your using working against gravity and your lift vector) and the diameter of what should be your roll is a lot smaller. Now this move, something a lot of people including myself, do can set up a shot but the other person needs to be overshooting.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 09:30:38 PM »
Bolded part, Didn't want to throw you out there without permission....not trying to hide anything.

I reviewed a few of the fights and found I am partially correct, When we did go into those rolling scissors(which were in the first 4 fights, right about the time I hinted at the lag/lead pursuit. In the LAs we were mostly stuck in almost a flat turn fight) My Rolls were larger then yours, my speed was higher then yours at the base of them.

What I didn't see in the fight is that your actually NOT rolling, your pushing forward on your stick at the top where I would be rolling over and it's causing 2 things. You to Dump E(The energy your using working against gravity and your lift vector) and the diameter of what should be your roll is a lot smaller. Now this move, something a lot of people including myself, do can set up a shot but the other person needs to be overshooting.

by your description, if kruel is pushing forward and using G, and not unloading his G like you are Junky, rolling over the top, can cause a big difference in energy retention/management and push the one burning their E out in front of the one unloading, quite quickly.....

hope this helps

TC

Damned AH CAG and CO
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC