Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
AW had crappy graphics and the same map forever, but we had a great player base because it was fun. We did it all in that game, here you see the same thing over and over because the majority of the player base looks for only one thing..... the quickest, fastest, easiest way to grab bases to win the war. 

I disagree with you.

Airwarrior lasted because online gaming at the time was in its infancy (fresh and vibrant) and few could really envision what online gaming would be like going forward 20 years. Now that 2014 is here, there is a lot more competition in a market that is overloaded with online titles that are sold more on eye candy compared to gameplay substance. In addition, the interest in the "Greatest Generation" is starting to wane as is public knowledge of a conflict that began approximately 75 years ago.

Today's gamers want instant satisfaction, feel more comfortable competing in a game than in real life struggles, and don't want to invest time into a game that may take months to learn.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2014, 09:02:28 PM »
a market that is overloaded with online titles that are sold more on eye candy compared to gameplay substance. In addition, the interest in the "Greatest Generation" is starting to wane as is public knowledge of a conflict that began approximately 75 years ago.

Today's gamers want instant satisfaction, feel more comfortable competing in a game than in real life struggles, and don't want to invest time into a game that may take months to learn.

I agree with all of this.

- oldman (shambling off into his cave)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »
I disagree with you.

Airwarrior lasted because online gaming at the time was in its infancy (fresh and vibrant) and few could really envision what online gaming would be like going forward 20 years. Now that 2014 is here, there is a lot more competition in a market that is overloaded with online titles that are sold more on eye candy compared to gameplay substance. In addition, the interest in the "Greatest Generation" is starting to wane as is public knowledge of a conflict that began approximately 75 years ago.

I don't see how you can disagree, we said pretty much the same thing.

Airwarrior lasted because online gaming at the time was in its infancy (fresh and vibrant) and few could really envision what online gaming would be like going forward 20 years.

It didn't last because it was new, it lasted because it was full of like minded people who had a lot of fun pretending to play war. Granted there weren't as many games but there were a number and they had their dedicated followers as well.

this IS what instant gratification means, "here you see the same thing over and over because the majority of the player base looks for only one thing..... the quickest, fastest, easiest way to grab bases to win the war." They want it now. They all jump up and down when they win the war and pat each other on the back and then do it again..... until bored. At which time they more on to the next game that tweaks their colon.

Today players are easily bored. Pretty new graphics will only satisfy them a bit. How often do you see on the boards after HTC has a big new update post start up with all the thing players want next? They haven't even looked through the update yet and they are yammering for the "next thing".

I agree with you, Oldman, even Arlo (wheres that puking emoticon when you need one!), but that doesn't blind me to the fact that "candy" isn't going to be enough to help KEEP players.

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2014, 12:12:41 AM »
I would change the 12 hour rule so you can switch sides more often....... :old:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2014, 12:36:27 AM »
The problem is people are NOT flying anything or everything. They are sticking to one plane/gv/style of game play. There is no incentive.... or to look at it from the other side no deterrent to lead them into other avenues of game play.

what exactly is wrong with flying only one plane?  I grew up listening stories about the p51's so that's basically all I fly.  I'll get in a b26 as is one of the fastest buffs we got just to sink cv's.

point is the incentive to fly anything is what you feel comfortable or want to fly.  we arent actually flying a war but pretending to be pilots and we pay 15 bucks for that.

the majority of the players do not come here to "play a war game the proper way" but to have fun. someday perhaps you'll have fun yourself the same way.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2014, 07:22:38 AM »
Um. Any (all) player(s) getting to fly whatever they wish whenever they wish is a level playing field. Where's the 'suspect' in the analogy?

Micro-purchases would not be a healthy or productive business model change for AH, given the player base, imo.

Minecraft teens apparently don't mind their parents shelling it out. This ain't Minecraft and the player base isn't primarily teens being subsidized by their parents.

It isn't a "level-playing field" if you are comparing it to chess.  In chess each player is playing with pieces with essentially the same characteristics as those used by his opponent and a static situational environment (i.e. evenly matched).  

That is NOT the case in Aces High.  As you point out, a player can choose any plane he wishes, but that only makes the actual gameplay dynamic rather than static like chess.  Throw in other situational variables which can impact an engagement (e.g. altitude, speed at time of engagement, etc) and it becomes even more dynamic.  And again, this is all before one takes into account the actual skill of the combatants.    Why do you think we have so many "rules" for a formal 1v1 DA duel (e.g. merge altitude, same plane, etc)?  We do all that to truly "level" the playing field, remove as many dynamic variables as possible and place the deciding factor for victory on the skill and tactics of the combatants.

Now before you get your britches in a bunch....I am not advocating "micro-purchases" al la War Blunder.  I don't believe those would be a welcome addition to AH.  I simply pointed out the analogy is incorrect.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:30:10 AM by Zerstorer »
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2014, 07:51:57 AM »
what exactly is wrong with flying only one plane?  I grew up listening stories about the p51's so that's basically all I fly.  I'll get in a b26 as is one of the fastest buffs we got just to sink cv's.

point is the incentive to fly anything is what you feel comfortable or want to fly.  we arent actually flying a war but pretending to be pilots and we pay 15 bucks for that.

the majority of the players do not come here to "play a war game the proper way" but to have fun. someday perhaps you'll have fun yourself the same way.

semp

Semp, you must have selective reading issues.  That or you are just so narrow minded you can't read or understand a full post.

Funny thing is, is I like flying the pony most of the time. I also have fun when I fly. But I guess you just never saw me post that all those other times.

The point of the whole post in context is that most players seem to pigeon hole themselves into doing one thing and going about it the quickest and easiest way, while 8 this game there are so many ways to do that one thing as well as so many other things they could do.

If people do the same thing over and over the same way they get bored and will leave. If HTC can come up with a carrot or whip to lead players down these other avenues it would open up more fun and less boredom for everyone. The "achievements" idea was one of those things. Only problem was they didn't make it tied to an arena which allowed people to mine the achievements in other arenas unmolested.  It was a good idea to get people into other planes, doing other activities.

We just need more of these types of game play adjustments.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2014, 07:52:51 AM »
   We need a free Noob arena with a limited plane set. Let them practice against the same level players so they can have fun instead of get slaughtered. Maybe WW1 where uber pickers cant bnz the unaware. Then as they get more proficient they may upgrade and challenge themselves.

I got my brother to play this game a few years ago but due to running his company he does not have the time to put in to this to get to the level of enjoyment. He still has an account but does not log on often because it is not fun for him with his limited play time just to get wiped out. There are many that can't invest the time for fun MA survival. The 7 day a week pilots scoff at players that run to ack or get to high alts ect. Some have to find a way to survive these dangerous waters any way they can and I don't blame them. Don't let your egos run them off.  :old:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2014, 12:53:11 PM »
Expand the trainer corps so noobs can get lessons in the MA.  We could have a cross countries training channel for noobs and trainers to set up lessons
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »
Expand the trainer corps so noobs can get lessons in the MA.  We could have a cross countries training channel for noobs and trainers to set up lessons

we do, it's the orange channel. I'd love to see some kind of mandatory course so that everyone came into the game knowing how to get off the ground and land, something about an hour or two to cover the basics. But I know thats asking a lot out of today generation. I don't think y son has looked at an instruction manual/video for a game he has bought in years. They don't do it, they just dive right in.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
we do, it's the orange channel.

The help channel has been country limited for quite some time now.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2014, 04:38:10 PM »
But I know thats asking a lot out of today generation. I don't think y son has looked at an instruction manual/video for a game he has bought in years. They don't do it, they just dive right in.

That's what 'we' did in my generation as well, and that's now like 30 years ago.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »
That's what 'we' did in my generation as well, and that's now like 30 years ago.

ummm that IS todays generation. Im from the one another 20 years before yours  :devil

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2014, 04:48:24 PM »
ummm that IS todays generation. Im from the one another 20 years before yours  :devil

I'm definitely not "todays" generation, now matter how much I'd like to be  :old:

Just 5 more years until I can take workout courses for "senior citizens" in my local gymn  :(

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2014, 09:37:59 PM »
Merge/sell/deal with a bigger game developer with the resources to turn AH into CLOD+AH servers or at least WT+AH servers.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76