Author Topic: Now I know why everyone want to kill a MOSS  (Read 1251 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: Now I know why everyone want to kill a MOSS
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 02:00:04 PM »
LANC
BREW
BOST3

and so on...

I thought the Brewster was a Brew.  What does "Brewster" mean anyway? Is it like a hipster that makes beer?

LANC
Doesn't that make you want to shoot it down? SHOUTS at you to shoot it down? I knew the effect it has on the ~Loose Deuce~ squad channel:
A: "Low LANC!"
B: "I saw it first! where is it?"
A: "Many high fighters, the 47 is looking at you, dont dive on the bombers"
B: "Must resist... must resist... can't resist..."

Lancasters, and Brews are high on my "to kill" list for absolutely no good reason. Maybe it was just the red capital tag all along. Bostons I really like and at least I feel sorry for them as I flame them, but it is so rare to find those.

How about the Spitfire? It is a Spit as far as I remember. I had a few beers so my memory is more colorful and hazy than usual...  :cheers:

109 is in all caps too.  :D
No. 109 with all caps is !)(
A P51 would be P%! and a P47 would be P$&
If I ever saw any of those I'd sure get the urge to kill them. :D
Numbers, for example: 123456 do not have the same "shout" effect as ABCDEF.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 01:13:29 AM »

MOSS should really read...BOZON:devil

:salute Mate!
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 09:10:24 AM »
Excellent idea Bozon. I also think that it should tell the red guys who is flying it.  :D  :aok

Its because AH picks on the British :old:

As it should be. You lot have had your way with the world long enough!  :old:

Tally Ho!
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 10:58:35 AM »
Why does the MOSS get so much attention?

Here's my reasoning...

I roll into a bunch of red cons in my fat 47. Looking at my opponents icons I see Spit, 51, 190, and MOSS. Who's the biggest theat to my survival? Spit pilot is obviously a noob and not much of a threat. 51 and 190 will run after the first turn. The MOSS is a honcho and must be killed ASAP to have any hope of survival.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 07:09:30 PM »
OK, I checked the icon tags today and noted the upper and lower cases - turn out that... THEY ARE ALL UPPER CASES! FOR EVERY PLANE.  :headscratch:
My mind it seems is playing tricks on me. Evidence point to the original hypothesis from my first post to be completely backwards - all name tags are similar but it is my mind that make some of them appear as a an uppercase shouts to me and others as calm lowercases, not the other way around.

So, the question now is: Why do I imagine some name tags in upper case (maybe even boldfaced...) and others as lower case? I was almost sure that the tags on the Spits say "Spit", but I noticed today that it is "SPIT", so "MOSS" is completely normal. I have been playing this game since late 2001! (with some breaks in the middle...) how did I notice that only now? Awareness beat subconsciousness - I saw a MOSS in a furball today and was able to hold my self from attacking a fellow Mossie pilot (<S> F77). All icon tags appeared as uppercase because I was paying attention to them - With time and therapy I will overcome this completely.

Do not drink and fly, you may spill precious beer  :old:

Here's my reasoning...

I roll into a bunch of red cons in my fat 47. Looking at my opponents icons I see Spit, 51, 190, and MOSS. Who's the biggest theat to my survival? Spit pilot is obviously a noob and not much of a threat. 51 and 190 will run after the first turn. The MOSS is a honcho and must be killed ASAP to have any hope of survival.
I do the same processing most of the time. I will always be suspicious of C205s, La5s and P-38J/G for example. P47D-11/25 I will give extra SA when they are around. These tend to have veteran players in them. Yak3s I target with priority because I hate them. P38L says baby seal clubbing time. But my original wondering was about certain planes that I feel compelled to attack for no good reason and against tactical wits.

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 10:19:12 PM »
Yep, you're right.  They should just label it KILL ME.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 11:37:58 PM »
M, O and S are all fairly bulky letters, particularly the M.  P, I and T are less bulky, particularly the I and the T, which adds up to make MOSS more eye catching than SPIT.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline F77

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2014, 06:27:48 AM »
<S> Bozon

Also had some good fights with another Hurri1 pilot! WPMATT72 I think his name was... <S> That must have looked odd. two hurri1's trying to ping each other to death surrounded by late war a/c!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 12:20:11 PM »
<S> Bozon

Also had some good fights with another Hurri1 pilot! WPMATT72 I think his name was... <S> That must have looked odd. two hurri1's trying to ping each other to death surrounded by late war a/c!
The first fighter I ever shot down with the Spitfire Mk I in AH was a Bf109E-4 that I encountered in the LWA.  We had a BoB duel in the midst of late war monsters.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »
The first fighter I ever shot down with the Spitfire Mk I in AH was a Bf109E-4 that I encountered in the LWA.  We had a BoB duel in the midst of late war monsters.

These kinds of fights are about the rarest encounters you can have in the Late War arena at all. For example all of this year we have a total of 2(!) Hurricane 1 kills by Hurricane I so far. There are no kills of 109E by Spit I or vice versa yet.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 12:56:32 PM »

These kinds of fights are about the rarest encounters you can have in the Late War arena at all. For example all of this year we have a total of 2(!) Hurricane 1 kills by Hurricane I so far. There are no kills of 109E by Spit I or vice versa yet.

Years ago in furball lake, I took out a TBM on the first sortie and couldn't believe seeing a red TBM coming right at me.  We tangled for a bit but were interrupted by the usual C-Hogs, Spit XVIs and La-7s.  I did get enough rounds in to get the kill credit, though.  :lol
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."