Author Topic: Lookin for new gunsights  (Read 835 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Lookin for new gunsights
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 01:03:14 PM »
hey bustr
I would like those 2 sights please
salute
ab8aac/dmdchief

Check Aircraft and Vehicles.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Lookin for new gunsights
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »
I used a better translator in reading about the Wgr 21.

The optical adaptor to the Revi C\12 making it the C\12F was a range finder that used double image refraction to help determine range. Eventually a Revi16 adaptor was created. Not all fighters carrying the Wgr 21 had these range finder Revi, and had to estimate range using the Revi reticle.

The pilots early on with the Wgr 21 in 1943 flying 109, 190, 110, had to know about the following and account for it.

German:

Drallabweichung:

Durch den Drall wird die Granate nach rechts aus der Flugbahn herausgedrückt
(Magnuseffekt). Deshalb ist es erforderlich, daß der Flugzeugführer etwa um 40° links vorbeizielt.

English Translation:

Spin deviation:

Through the swirl the grenade is pushed out to the right of the flight path
(Magnus effect). Therefore, it is necessary that the pilot about by aiming at 40°to the left.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By 1944 and the introduction of the Doppelzünder R Dopp.Z. S/60 fuse(30sec timer\contact detonator). The launch tube was mounted with a 2° left hand deflection to account for the right hand Magnus Effect of 2° by the improved Wgr 21 rocket.

My apology to Morfiend for my poor translation work and misunderstanding.

The rocket tube had 4 sway braces and a center connector called the "Glühzünder 28" or Electric igniter 28. This was an explosive electrically ignited bolt to allow emergency jettisoning of the rocket tube. Both jettisoned at the same time. I suppose for our game purposes it would be fair to model this to allow for our MA combat environment.

The Wgr1 in our game appears to have a fuse detonation range of 1120yds or 2-3 sec. The fuse was spin activated and took between 100-110m of travel to engage. This accounts for 4.4sec to 1200m. The Wgr 21 in practical use was a 250 m\sec device. Your airspeed affected it's actual burst range. We should be able to select at least three common ranges for the fuse on the ground. Air to air 800, 1000, 1200 or air to ground with a range of about 2000. It's similar to the timer\contact fuse in the 88 AA round and the 88 AP. 

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.