Author Topic: Time to change the Washington Redskins Name - Once and for all  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
Re: Time to change the Washington Redskins Name - Once and for all
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »
  They are trying to control our minds bruh.

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 08:37:05 AM »
  They are trying to control our minds bruh.

:lol

The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 08:41:27 AM »
But for real, did anyone see that south park episode. Really hit the nail on the head with the whole redskins thing.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 06:51:37 PM »
I'm offended by Motherland's name!  It disenfranchises an oppressed sociofamilionational subgroup and is not congruent to modern cultural metastandards.

Its a outrage!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2014, 09:40:21 PM »
Perhaps right is not the correct word, and note how the legality of using the term is not being called into question.
There's just a common shift in our cultural thinking that has gone to 'if this word disenfranchises a group of people, or even a subset of a group of people, why use it?' This goes beyond enacting legislation or anything like that, but just setting cultural standards of what is or is not acceptable to say, and what will earn you criticism from society at large (it's also important to note that people using their free speech to criticize others' free speech is not a violation of either groups')
There's been a huge shift in this probably even within the past 10 or 20 years. I guess this is what makes a lot of people upset, especially because it's happening so rapidly.
It's something I first came to realize when I was studying FCC regulations for radio broadcast - especially the comparison of terms that are considered kosher after 10pm compared to the words that are banned at all times. Words like f*g, f*gg*t and d*ke are fine as per the FCC as long as you reserve their use for after 10pm - while, outside of the dated FCC regulations, in a working modern context these words are far more insulting and taboo than practically anything on the FCC ban list. Even words like retard are largely being phased out of regular speech (this is of course among younger people primarily, not people from, example, my parents generation who grew up with these words being insults, but the taboo of the word coming from being associated with that group rather than the word being a demeaning way to refer to that group). I remember going over these lists with my friends and "colleagues" and basically saying things along the lines of 'yeah, this is technically legal, but why would you ever say that?' Suffice to say it would be highly problematic if these words were actually used, just because they don't agree with modern cultural standards.
When our station voluntarily blacklisted the use of the word 'redskin' (after receiving a joint letter from a host of Native American activist organizations, granted it probably would have been phased out either way) it was done practically unanimously- again, with the thought, 'if there are people who find this offensive, why would we want to say it?' It comes down to: what's the point?
I mean that's really easy to say when you've never actually had to deal with a deeply rooted words in a culture that is historically deeply rooted against you.
I think a large part of the shift in thinking that has led people to grow tired with  the proliferation of the flow of this sort of language is a demographic shift. More and more people are either effected by this type of thing, and, more importantly, even among those not effected, it's easier to see how it effects your friends, family, etc. I think this is to some extent less stark as it relates to issues of race and discrimination/stereotyping on that front, but as we see how negatively it effects, say, women, it does make the somewhat more subtle effects it has on racial minorities more apparent.
And while we're removing one aspect of that from being acceptable in our culture, why not just remove all of it? It's easier that way.
The new golden rule is simply 'don't be a dick'

Sorry. Dont buy into your argument.

Look. I was a skinny white kid who wore glasses with a Spanish last name
(though I happen to be mostly German and Irish) that went to a predominantly black and Hispanic school during the absolute height of racial tensions. Trust me. I got it from all sides. Blacks Whites and Hispanics and been called and labeled pretty much every derogatory name in the book you can imagine and got jumped and ganged up on for no other reason then I was white,or Hispanic or..because I wore glasses. Yet I never uttered a complaint or curled into a ball expecting everyone else to protect me or avoid saying things I might consider offensive.

As I told a group of underprivileged youths a few years ago. "There is always going to be something to be offended over. And some people might not like you due to your color, your height. or someone may not like me because I have long hair and a beard and call me a hippie. Thats ok. Let them say or think whatever they want. that is their right so long as they dont take action against you. And even if they do. You have two choices. You can either use such things as an excuse to fail. Or motivation to succeed. And THAT is up to you. YOU are the one who has the ultimate power over how you handle it"

Musta worked because a couple of months ago two of them spotted me and went out of their way to thank me for giving them that little speach

When you cowardly, yes I said "cowardly" cowtow to groups like this you are in effect telling them they are too weak for liberty and true freedom. and need to be protected from it That special concessions must be made to protect their fragile little egos. If someone was going out of their way to intentionally offend these groups. Like if you were to say to a native American. "Hey you. Redskin. Go fetch me a cigar." You might have a very small point as that would be an intent to offend. In the case of the NFL Redskins name. This is just cowardly on your stations part. There is no intent to offend there. Never has been regardless of the true reasons behind the name. That name has been there a long long time. What you are saying is a mere word is to be avoided because that single word might offend some group.

Tell me. When Athiests start organizing and screaming how they are offended by the team names Saints, Angels, or Padres. You going to stop using those names too? Or when MADD  or Alcoholics Anonymous complains about the Brewers?

From your own station in life such moves against free speech including the use of the word "Redskins" by a station is nothing short of an abridgement of freedom of the press of which the FCC is nothing short of an abomination with regard to the first amendment.

I would argue in favor of fair use of words. ANY words rather then see certain words removed from use under pressure.
But as usual. We only care about the rights we like and the things we agree with. The rest must be smothered. Sorry but that aint freedom.

Freedom means you embrace the things you like. And at least tolerate and respect others rights for the things you dont. Yes. that means they or you get to be a dick regardless of  your fictitious golden rule
It doesnt mean you carry on like a 3 year old "waaa Johnny said a name I dont like make him stop."

I fully agree with the guy in that audio clip "Im offended"..."Well so (blanking) what"

As for the Redskins name. For over 60 years nobody had a problem with it. Not even the Native Americans. NOW suddenly their offended. (and in reality is is only a very small percentage of them that are actually offended by it.

No. Its more like someone (read some small subset of a group) created an industry for themselves. And they are no different then any of the other cause bearers (insert your favorite cause fanatic here). They have no interest in actually seeing their cause corrected. Because in doing so it would mean no publicity and as a result. No funding.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 09:44:56 PM »
Well said.

The only thing I would add is this: It's a very fine line between a nanny state and a police state.... and that line is easy to cross. You might, just might, get to see how easy it is in the near future.

Nanny and imaginary "golden rules" very often evolve into actual legal laws. Thats how many of the laws we have got their start

More laws almost always equal less liberty
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2014, 09:22:42 AM »
and what are we going to do about the Vikings?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »
and what are we going to do about the Vikings?

I've heard a Scandinavian group is planning a lawsuit.   ;)

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2014, 09:54:59 AM »
Only if they suck at whatever sport they're playing...
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Hetzer7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2014, 11:09:29 AM »
lol, project much?

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2014, 12:08:42 PM »
Only if they suck at whatever sport they're playing...

Well....they kinda do.....and there are other....ahhhhhhh...."issues".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/10/13/adrian-peterson-pleads-not-guilty-to-a-felony-child-abuse-charge/

:bolt:

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2014, 12:19:49 PM »
Child abuse... Check. Any rape or pillaging?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2014, 12:36:47 PM »
Child abuse... Check. Any rape or pillaging?

Nope.  At least none with that specific team.  :lol

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »
I've heard a Scandinavian group is planning a lawsuit.   ;)

ACLU would touch this one?  :headscratch:
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles