Pfft... real men take Dilaudid's
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: benzo's
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 01:44:25 PM »
I'm working on my PharmD currently with an interest in design and development. Anyone who has ever studied neoro knows how rediculously complex it is. Many of the medications around today for these disorders weren't specifically "designed" to do what they do, instead they were discovered by accident or are found in plants, fungi, etc. I'm not sure about benzos but consider LSD and opium. Not to say no companies are trying, but to spend $billions to make some miracle drug that works on a body system with incalcuble variables and connections is a bit foolish. Instead, if I were in charge of a pharmaceutical company it would be more cost effective to develop another derivative of a benzodiazepine.

The Benzo's come from a plant also!   The valencia plant,the root has been used for years as a sedative and a sleeping aid.  Vallium= Valancia.

While I wont say there is such a thing as a totally safe drug,the problem isnt the drug it;s the person taking it.  If 1 pill helps alittle 2 must help more right?

I see this once a week or so,I go to a pain clinic regularly and most the people there are messed up on some drug,very few have a handle on it and it's a real shame.  Personally I have been on morphine for over 20 years now!   I'm not addicted to it but my body is dependant on it and those are 2 different things.

Most days my wife has to remind me to take my meds,however if I go past say 12 hours without taking it I dont need any reminders! The medication enabled me to function again,I try to take it responsibly and never take more than I'm supposed to so I havent had any problems even tho I'm on the evil milk of the poppy!

People refuse to take their meds as directed and then they get in trouble and they are the first to blame the doctors or drug companies. As I said I dont think there is a completely safe drug but if taken responsibly very few people will have any real problems. Yes some may react poorly to certain drugs but they can always find a less reactive medication to do the same thing.

But hey it's a lot easier to place the blame on the drug,the doctors or the drug companies because no one would possibly do anything they shouldnt!

:salute