Author Topic: Umm, what  (Read 655 times)

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
Umm, what
« on: November 16, 2014, 04:09:55 PM »
Spent the afternoon flying and dying for quite a while, then after dying a flaming death off a cv, it booted me off. When I logged back on this is what I got....

I went to my firewall from control panel and cant find a way to do this, let alone know where to look. But why now? Been flying and dying for a week or two and suddenly today this happens. I haven't changed anything as far as security or settings go. What do?  :uhoh

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Umm, what
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 05:42:06 PM »
You need to set up an exemption in regards to Aces High, or you need to run AH without the firewall present. I would recommend the former, rather than the latter.'

What kind of firewall do you have? If you let us know the type, we can walk you through the process.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 05:46:51 PM »
"Windows Firewall with Advanced Security"

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 06:44:07 PM »
OK so far what I have done is:

Windows key + X
Control Panel
System and Security
Allow and app through Firewall
Aces High
OK

still won't work... what did I miss?  :(

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 07:02:28 PM »
I have seen that message a couple of times when AH server is for some reason unavailable, it doesn't seems to have anything with my windows firewall (its not on) to do at all and when the computer can access the server again the message disappears.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 07:13:27 PM »
What does your ping plot say, Kassill?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 07:23:17 PM »
What does your ping plot say, Kassill?

My what?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 08:36:03 PM »
Download this program and install it.

http://www.pingplotter.com/downloads/pngplt_1.exe

Start the program and in the top left add this address

in the bottom left click the trace button and let it run for 5-10 minutes.

Capture a screen shot and post it here. Any "red" or lots of lost packets is bad. Posting the picture will give clues to these guys as to where the trouble might be.

Basically the warning your getting is saying the game can't reach the servers. The ping plot may show why.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:37:39 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 09:06:34 PM »
Well idk, it started working again. I'll try that tomorrow just to see what's up though, thanks guys

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 09:10:01 PM »
Your ISP may have just had a problem and it took them a bit to fix it, thats why your connection went south.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 08:30:46 AM »
The firewall message you got is a generic message for almost any kind of connection related errors. Back in the days of Windows98 and early XP ZoneAlarm was very widely used and AH had to be re-allowed after every update, hence the mentioning ZA by name. A modernized version might be something like "Connecting to the AH server has failed, check if something has changed since the last time you've run AH."
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 09:04:57 AM »
Actually the firewall message is triggered for the explicit failure to open any type of network connection.  There are two points of failure.

1)  The local PC.
2)  The Internet connection, itself.

The game assumes it is a firewall issue, when, in fact, it can be other problems.  Sometimes a reboot of the PC and/or the Internet router will clear up the problem.  Consumer grade routers, due to the caching of connections, can easily run out of open paths for connections.  Once that happens, a reboot of the router will clear it up.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »
Actually the firewall message is triggered for the explicit failure to open any type of network connection.  There are two points of failure.

1)  The local PC.
2)  The Internet connection, itself.

The game assumes it is a firewall issue, when, in fact, it can be other problems.  Sometimes a reboot of the PC and/or the Internet router will clear up the problem.  Consumer grade routers, due to the caching of connections, can easily run out of open paths for connections.  Once that happens, a reboot of the router will clear it up.
i agree, when my connection sucks I get the message you saw, for a moment then it lets me in after a few seconds.