Author Topic: 50 Cal's still weak  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: 50 Cal's still weak
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 08:11:02 AM »
Never had a problem killing anything with .50s.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 08:13:06 AM »
+1 to the damage model...   I think that's more of what I am talking about .
My hit percentage averages around 8-9% so I am hitting things.  They just fly away.

At 8-9% your hitting but not at a concentrated spot. Aiming for a wing is good advice. 50s will saw a wing off even in the pony b with the 4 gun package.

Check your films. Switch to slow motion and watch zoomed in where your rounds are going. Are they hitting one area or running a line down the side of the plane? Make adjustments as needed.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 10:22:13 AM »
I never had a problem with the realism of the MG and cannon damage in the game.

From all the data Ive read AH seems to get it pretty well realistic. Even 4 0.50s are pretty potent.
:airplane: I personally witnessed "Pand", who use to be in this game, in a "B" model ponie, with 4 .50 cals, shoot down 9 cons in one mission! I flew wing with him that night and saw each of the kills. Almost all of his kills were "deflection" shots and sawed off the tail! No tail, no fly!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
Wow, I think it's just the fact you use it so often it makes you think something is wrong, they're fine I have no problem killing anything.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 12:56:11 PM »
:airplane: I personally witnessed "Pand", who use to be in this game, in a "B" model ponie, with 4 .50 cals, shoot down 9 cons in one mission! I flew wing with him that night and saw each of the kills. Almost all of his kills were "deflection" shots and sawed off the tail! No tail, no fly!

My best was 12 in an F4U-1 without rearm. Used to be able to saw wings off Spits with a half-second burst when I was flying regularly.

Granted, it WOULD be nice if there was stuff like oil and fuel lines, control wires, gradual degradation of airfoils and control surfaces, weakening of the wing spar due to damage, etc., but the .50cal (especially the Ma Deuce, which is about as close to point-and-click as any gun in the game gets) are by no means short of killing power.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »
My hit percentage averages around 8-9% so I am hitting things.  They just fly away.

That isn't exactly a great hit % but I can't talk.
Top Gun

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 02:05:28 PM »
That isn't exactly a great hit % but I can't talk.

That's actually an above-average hit %.

I think... :noid
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 02:14:56 PM »

Top 10%  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 02:16:39 PM »

If you're not focusing on one part though, your hit % can be decent without knocking parts off.  If I let loose a burst that hits a B24 from tip to tail and don't spray much on either side, I get good hit % possibly without damaging the plane at all.  If I focus in on the wingroot and take a snapshot at convergence, I take the wing with fewer bullets and the plane is down, but the amount of shooting I do on either side of it means my % goes down.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 04:24:08 PM »
What convergence are you using and what range are you starting to fire at?  You maybe scoring a lot of hits on the bandit but not enough in one spot to do critical damage.

ack-ack

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:26:25 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »
That's why I us BB'S and go for pw's  :devil
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 11:06:44 PM »
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Jed

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »
I have my convergence at 300 flying in a jug... And try to fire at 400 and less.  I have just had some times lately where I sneak up on planes at my convergence , hold the tigger down and pour rounds into a plane only to have them stick stir, split S and fly away.  I don't intend to whine or complain about it. And I have been playing long enough to aim for important parts. Just at a loss as to the damage incurred.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 05:13:01 PM »
It is and continues to be the weak cumulative damage model. I don't care what your convergence is. The Jug throws out 100rnds per second. In a 1/4 second burst, that plane will be peppered with 20+ rounds. To watch it fly away undamaged because it wasn't concentrated is laughable. I think it was the Navy who determined that 3 .50s were equivalent to a single 20mm. That means that the 47 should have the same snapshot ability as a late Spit. In AH it's not even a race. The spit gun package is far better. Nevermind the fact that the Jug has a higher weight of fire per second that that same Spit package. Either the 20mm is too powerful or the .50 is too weak largely because of the damage model.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2014, 08:25:18 PM »
IRL shooting distances where much less what we do in AH.

At 200 yards (typical IRL shooting distance) .50 calibre shreds the enemy fighters.

In here buffs at 1000 yards .50 calibre are deadly, and at 800 yards 4*20mm cripple a fighter.

At 400 yards I lose parts unless I get cockpit hits from .50 cal (in Fw190's).
Many times I lose half a wing when an angry P47 shoot at that range, but can often RTB half winged.

I've been flying the F4u1 some, I get most kills when I fly RTB, not when I hit them, but I shoot at distance with high closure speed.

I'm advocating for shorter shooting ranges altogether, that will even out the differences (except them buffs if they still cripple 400 yards longer than other .50 calibres do).

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera