Author Topic: What would an OS change entail  (Read 910 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
What would an OS change entail
« on: December 19, 2014, 02:18:32 PM »
I'm throwing in the towel. I can either keep windows 8 and have a $200 paperweight for a joystick, or I can downgrade to Win 7. But the big question is, I'm not very technical, so what would I have to do for that download? Would I have to figure out what all of the different hardware I have is and redownload Win7 drivers for it all?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: What would an OS change entail
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 02:37:43 PM »
You are looking at a complete OS installation, from scratch.  You will need the OS, and all the drivers for the hardware of your computer (motherboard, sound, network (might come with the OS), video card...).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 03:10:44 PM »
If you have Win8 Pro you should be allowed to [b=http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx]downgrade[/b] it to the previous version. Most likely you have the basic edition, though.

Getting a Windows 7 license is getting hard since Microsoft don't sell it anymore. You may find it at some store with a little bit of luck. Another way is to find someone who has bought a three computers license for Windows7 upgrade, only using it for one or two. I suppose reusing the code and sticker from an abandoned Windows7 computer would be against the M$ EULA, although the idea of using one oem license on one machine would be fulfilled in that case, too. Anyway, a legal and functional license code for Win7 is what you need. Don't use a pirated or hacked one, they tend to get unsupported. Get a real one.

Getting an installation media for a valid license is no problem, even borrowing or copying one should be totally legal. At least at one point Microsoft even suggested using a copy of the original CD to avoid it getting damaged.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:13:26 PM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 03:29:34 PM »
You are looking at a complete OS installation, from scratch.  You will need the OS, and all the drivers for the hardware of your computer (motherboard, sound, network (might come with the OS), video card...).

So a real pain in the rear? Should I try to download these drivers before downgrading the OS? Or can I install the OS, and then just go to the website for each individual product and download those drivers?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 03:51:39 PM »
Bizman, you can still buy Windows 7 OEM versions.  Not hard to find at all.  Newegg has them.

Install the OS first, then install all the drivers.  The OS comes with some basic drivers which will allow it to get up and running.  You might want to be sure you have Ethernet card drivers handy, as those will allow you to get your Internet up and running so you can grab the rest.

After all the drivers are installed, then do the updates from Microsoft.  DO NOT GRAB ANY DRIVERS FROM MICROSOFT UPDATER!!!!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »
Bizman, you can still buy Windows 7 OEM versions.  Not hard to find at all.  Newegg has them.

Install the OS first, then install all the drivers.  The OS comes with some basic drivers which will allow it to get up and running.  You might want to be sure you have Ethernet card drivers handy, as those will allow you to get your Internet up and running so you can grab the rest.

After all the drivers are installed, then do the updates from Microsoft.  DO NOT GRAB ANY DRIVERS FROM MICROSOFT UPDATER!!!!

Awesome, thanks Skuzzy! So I should grab the ethernet drivers before the downgrade and throw them on a flash drive? But will I be able to use my USB ports without the motherboard drivers? (Sorry, I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to these things...)

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 04:44:50 PM »
yes, USB support is built in to win7
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 09:26:21 PM »
Serenity, please ensure you read and follow the bolded bit in Skuzzy's reply - MS updates to drivers cause all sorts of problems that are a pig to resolve.

MS Updates for windows - heck yes, always keep your system up to date.

MS Updates for drivers - heck no!!!Eleventy1

Wurz

Edit because I'm a half wit and missed some bits out.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:40:54 PM by gpwurzel »
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 09:39:40 PM »
What problems are you having with Win 8?  Have you upgraded to Win 8.1?

My Win 8.1 laptop is really no different than any other Windows version I've ever run.  I'm afraid you're going to go through all that effort to recreate the same issues in Win 7.  Better off solving the problem in Win 8 if possible.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 09:51:45 PM »
What problems are you having with Win 8?  Have you upgraded to Win 8.1?

My Win 8.1 laptop is really no different than any other Windows version I've ever run.  I'm afraid you're going to go through all that effort to recreate the same issues in Win 7.  Better off solving the problem in Win 8 if possible.

My problem with 8 is a known issue with Saitek sticks and drivers used on Win 8 systems with USB 3.0 ports.

I've spent hours and hours on the phone with saitek tech support only to be told that they know it's a problem, they're not doing anything about it though. The stick works fine on my Win7 laptop, so rather than have a $200 paperweight, I'm making the OS change. And yes, it's 8.1.

As for the drivers, thanks for the explanation wurzel. I called cyberpower PC (They built the desktop) and told them what I was doing, and they compiled all the drivers for me for the new OS.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 03:29:28 AM »
My problem with 8 is a known issue with Saitek sticks and drivers used on Win 8 systems with USB 3.0 ports.

I've spent hours and hours on the phone with saitek tech support only to be told that they know it's a problem, they're not doing anything about it though. The stick works fine on my Win7 laptop, so rather than have a $200 paperweight, I'm making the OS change. And yes, it's 8.1.

As for the drivers, thanks for the explanation wurzel. I called cyberpower PC (They built the desktop) and told them what I was doing, and they compiled all the drivers for me for the new OS.

Your motherboard almost guaranteed has also USB2 ports, why don't you use them if the problem is USB3?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 09:24:20 AM »
Good to know. As I said, it's getting hard since Microsoft won't deliver new licenses. Or have I understood something wrong: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2378732/windows-7-oem-licence-availability-reaches-zero-day?
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »
I bought an OEM Win 7 at newegg back in August.  I had to get a magnifying glass to read the key.  WTH were they thinking?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 01:37:10 PM »
Your motherboard almost guaranteed has also USB2 ports, why don't you use them if the problem is USB3?

I've tried those too. The problem isn't the port, but the combination of windows 8 not playing well with the ports, and Saitek not bothering to release proper drivers.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 04:49:29 AM »
I bought an OEM Win 7 at newegg back in August.  I had to get a magnifying glass to read the key.  WTH were they thinking?
It's not them, it's us getting old. I've been using a magnifying glass for a long time for M$ license codes, lately assisted with a pair of reading glasses. The font they're using over the patterned background makes certain characters look similar in my eyes. B and 8 are the worst in my eyes.

Kotisivuni