Author Topic: Hearing your own voice in radio com as a selectable option.  (Read 672 times)

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
Hearing your own voice in radio com as a selectable option.
« on: December 15, 2014, 11:33:14 AM »
If possible I would like to have a selectable feature that allows a person to hear one`s own voice real time (with no lag) when transmitting on voice radio. The sound level of which could be controlled by a slider like other voice radio settings. When a few seconds of limited transmit time gets over, the voice stops. Basically every time your transmission goes through you can hear your own voice. If I remember correctly real aircraft have squelch knobs on the radio that allow tuning the radio in such a way. I always tuned my radio like that when I used to fly. I just can`t get accustomed to the present system we have.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Hearing your own voice in radio com as a selectable option.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 11:52:33 AM »
So the purpose is so you know your squelching like with real life comms you kind of hear yourself whole talking? Feel like that would be hard to add in
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 12:02:11 PM »
Just turn down the voice playback slider. When you start talking it makes all the game sounds quieter while you are transmitting or receiving voice. This lets you know when you have timed out on range.

As for the feedback, as far as I know most computers should have an option enabled by default that allow you to hear anything spoken into the mic but at a much lower volume. It's built in because humans use listen to their own voice when they talk to know if they are pronouncing something correctly. This is why deaf people sometimes mispronounce words, because they aren't able to hear this feedback.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 01:30:45 PM »
 If you type your game name in radio box V and then use t to transmit you can hear your voice. There is a slight delay as it is recorded and played back but it is quite possible to do as you wish now!

Wish granted!

:salute

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 05:18:54 PM »
Hey morph, maybe a button that tunes your ID then copick again to set back what was previously assigned. You know how the world is getting. No one remembers how to use CMD to control their PC. Buttons man, buttons are the wave of the future.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 06:02:11 PM »
Hey morph, maybe a button that tunes your ID then copick again to set back what was previously assigned. You know how the world is getting. No one remembers how to use CMD to control their PC. Buttons man, buttons are the wave of the future.

I hear you I really do!   I think it would be nice to be able to drag and drop a name into the radio,this would make it easy to tune a squaddie or buddy in range without having to type the correct gameid! and possibly have a "last" channel tuned in the dropdown box.

This would in effect make it a simple button push and mouse click.... :D

The radio system is often difficult for new players to understand,so anything to simplify it is ok in my books....

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:06:03 PM by morfiend »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 07:34:28 PM »
If possible I would like to have a selectable feature that allows a person to hear one`s own voice real time (with no lag) when transmitting on voice radio. The sound level of which could be controlled by a slider like other voice radio settings. When a few seconds of limited transmit time gets over, the voice stops. Basically every time your transmission goes through you can hear your own voice. If I remember correctly real aircraft have squelch knobs on the radio that allow tuning the radio in such a way. I always tuned my radio like that when I used to fly. I just can`t get accustomed to the present system we have.

Listening to the mic input is probably an option in your Windows recording mic properties.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 10:44:24 PM »
What is it with all of these computer users who refuse to type?  Or can't type without also complainging about typing?

You people need to just learn how to type, or buy one of these.
http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-introduces-revolutionary-new-laptop-with-no,14299/
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 10:56:26 PM »
What is it with all of these computer users who refuse to type?  Or can't type without also complainging about typing?

You people need to just learn how to type, or buy one of these.
http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-introduces-revolutionary-new-laptop-with-no,14299/
lol'd hard at that link

"Everything on your harddrive is just a few hundred clicks away"

:lol
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 02:35:04 PM »
+1 to the OP
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 02:40:16 PM »
So the purpose is so you know your squelching like with real life comms you kind of hear yourself whole talking? Feel like that would be hard to add in

That is exactly what I mean.

Just turn down the voice playback slider. When you start talking it makes all the game sounds quieter while you are transmitting or receiving voice. This lets you know when you have timed out on range.

As for the feedback, as far as I know most computers should have an option enabled by default that allow you to hear anything spoken into the mic but at a much lower volume. It's built in because humans use listen to their own voice when they talk to know if they are pronouncing something correctly. This is why deaf people sometimes mispronounce words, because they aren't able to hear this feedback.

Turning down voice playback slider helps with the time limit, but earphones still isolate my own voice pretty well. Maybe cheaper earphones are the answer here, will look into it.

As for software. I tried all the instructions I could find via Google search, but couldn`t get this to work. Maybe I`ll try to uninstall the Realtek audio manager and try again from the beginning.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:42:55 PM by asterix »
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 04:11:20 PM »
 I hear you I really do!   I think it would be nice to be able to drag and drop a name into the radio,this would make it easy to tune a squaddie or buddy in range without having to type the correct gameid! and possibly have a "last" channel tuned in the dropdown box.

You can already tune radio 1 to a player by right clicking on the roster.

HiTech

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 02:35:41 PM »
You can already tune radio 1 to a player by right clicking on the roster.

HiTech

Yes I know this is true but as bustr pointed out people are lazy!  I consider myself 1 of those and opening the roster is another step.

I was thinking in terms of private vox,not text. I think it would be nice if we could as I said drag and drop a name into radio V and have the drop down save the last tuned channel so you could go back to your channel without having to type.

I would think with the new VR systems coming this might help eliminate then need to use the KB,atleast as far as the radio is concerned. Besides it would allow me to be even lazier than I am....... :devil

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 06:28:26 PM »
  Yes I know this is true but as bustr pointed out people are lazy!  I consider myself 1 of those and opening the roster is another step.

I was thinking in terms of private vox,not text. I think it would be nice if we could as I said drag and drop a name into radio V and have the drop down save the last tuned channel so you could go back to your channel without having to type.

I would think with the new VR systems coming this might help eliminate then need to use the KB,atleast as far as the radio is concerned. Besides it would allow me to be even lazier than I am....... :devil

I tell you what give me a call and I'll come over and change the radios for you, heck I can even fly the airplane based on your commands  :devil

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 08:42:30 PM »
I tell you what give me a call and I'll come over and change the radios for you, heck I can even fly the airplane based on your commands  :devil

semp

Will do Semp! :rofl       My only motive in this is to simplify the radio chat system.   Many old hands forget what it was like to first get started in AH,frankly the radio can be confussing for some.