Author Topic: X52...replace or repair?  (Read 711 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
X52...replace or repair?
« on: November 10, 2014, 01:43:17 PM »
Ok I have a 10 year old X-52 controller/throttle.

It is definitely a moody stick now.  Level flight is a challenge most times.  Usually calibrating within the game dampens things out for a few flights.  Then, I go through these instant left roll/huge yaw motions.

Any suggestions on what to do?  Repair?  Replace with the newer model and drink to the many fine years this one gave?  :)

Ok, honestly, I'll drink anyway   :cool:

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
Re: X52...replace or repair?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
I have gone to X55 by Saitek ,you will be surprised at how much smoother it is!
AkCaine

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:54:14 PM »
try to clean the pods inside. get some electrical spray cleaner. radioshack has some for about 12.00 or 13  dollars  2  or  3 years ago.
It may work and may not.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 08:43:52 AM »
try to clean the pods inside. get some electrical spray cleaner. radioshack has some for about 12.00 or 13  dollars  2  or  3 years ago.
It may work and may not.
Automotive shops sell the same stuff for half the price or even less. Just check it's the clean thing without any lubricants which would leave a sticky surface for more gunk to stick. WD-40 or CRC 5-56 and other multi purpose two/three/many/all-in-one oils are out of the question for that reason.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 04:48:56 PM »
Every WalMart has CRC QD Electronic Cleaner in the automotive department. It was less than $5 the last time I needed some.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 07:08:41 PM »
 The X52 only uses a pot for the twist rudder,the other axises use Halon devices.

If you look on Utube you can find a magnet mod for the X52,this may be worth doing and it certainly wont hurt to clean the magnets and metal strips!

I have a X52 I bought back when they first came out,the only thing that ever went wrong with it was the twist rudder so I bought some pedals and disabled it.I worked quite well for 8 years or so and is my backup now.

You should use a powered USB hub to power the X52 and the cable between the throttle and JS should be attached so it cant move as this is also a cause of loss of calibration and you often see the lights blinking.

As for fixing it,well if you are so inclined why not give it a shot,myself I'd just grab a X55 first then you can monkey around with the old 52 and can still fly!

YMMV.

:salute

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »
Ok I have a 10 year old X-52 controller/throttle.

It is definitely a moody stick now.  Level flight is a challenge most times.  Usually calibrating within the game dampens things out for a few flights.  Then, I go through these instant left roll/huge yaw motions.

Any suggestions on what to do?  Repair?  Replace with the newer model and drink to the many fine years this one gave?  :)

Ok, honestly, I'll drink anyway   :cool:

I have a couple of x52 sticks that you can have .... the problem is one i tore apart to try and and fix and ended up buying and new one ....didnt use the new one long but cant tell them apart so id have to send both lol.  I still use the throttle but with a new ms pp2 that i found still factory sealed lol.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 12:09:21 PM »
I vote get the X55! I've been trying mine out these last few days, and it's a blast! That split throttle is great! Got the vert stab blown off of my 410 while straffing tanks last night, and with the split throttles I was able to control it all the way home.

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 09:34:08 PM »
first time I have even heard of two guys with a working x.52 over two years old.   I think they are great.  Just never heard of one lasting very long.

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 08:55:03 PM »
some people have good luck with them, then some people don't. The first set I had bought remanufactured from Frye's lasted just over a year. the 8 way went out on it. The price was cheap enough. The second pair I bought used from ebay and I had to clean the rudder pot after about 3 years of use , but still works fine. Meanwhile while fixing that set I bought another used set. Now I have them and they sit in a box.

look like the prices on them used on ebay has gone up.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »
I've never owned an X-52, but have been using several other cheap sticks which some people doom to be dead in mere months. I've actually never dumped a stick because of faulty action, then again I'm very light handed with them.

FWIW the FiAF fighter draftee's manual from early 50's shows the stick movements for each maneuver in real size. Each of them would fit on a matchbox!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni