Author Topic: Who really is the best there ever was at this game? Greebo.  (Read 2931 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: Who really is the best there ever was at this game? Greebo.
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2014, 10:01:18 AM »
Greebo seems to be the one ubber ace who gives back to the community far more than most.

I remember when I was just learning this game. I would up the Spit9 because I thought this was the quick trip to nirvana. I ran into this slowish, a bit low F6F and dove in. Moments later....tower. This went on for a while until Greebo ran out of bullets, gas and patience. As he left the DAR he saluted me. I sent him a PM and asked how to do ACM. His repsone taught me the great lesson of all time.

I am clearly not an ubber stick, though I can hold my own against most. And that single lesson became the baseline knowledge that made sense of everything else I learned. That knowledge came from Greebo. For that he gets my vote.

boo
 :salute
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 04:40:43 PM »
Thanks Cit and everyone else for the kind comments. While I'm pretty good at what I do I've never thought I was even close to being the best pilot in the game. I essentially just fly one plane and one flying style while others are good in many planes and styles.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »
Don't sell yourself short, Greebo.  From what little I've seen / heard you are a great cartoon fighter pilot. 

And you make great skins too!  Double dipping!

The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Hetzer7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2014, 05:06:11 PM »
Thanks Greebo for your many contributions to the game <<<S>>>

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2014, 07:22:15 PM »
I wasn't going to post in this thread as it was looking like just another "look at me" thread. I'm sure the OP started it just to get a few votes/accolades rolling his way.

But I've been thinking about it, Greebo the "Best at the game"? naw, he's good, but I've seen better fighter jocks. I don't think he spends much time in GVs or buffs. The best FOR the game? oh ya, hands down. There are very few who put in the time and effort to "add" to the game. Some of the other unsung heros are the guys who put together the scenarios and extra stuff that hasn't anything to do with the main arenas. Trainers fall under this groups as well. ALL of these guys are great FOR the game.

Great AT the game, then you have to start looking at those who play the game well and make it fun for those around them. Mugz (the old one not the new one), TZR, a few of the BOP's, a couple of the Ltars, Lynx (the old one). These are players who studied the game much like Lusche does now, but they used the info to draw other players in to the fun. Small missions, large missions, sneak missions, sweeps, and porking runs these were the guys that made the arena run. One of these guys would log on and half the country would hound them to "put something together", and they more often than not would.

ET, Joker, Chewie and others are mere shadows of these other guys who were good at the game. They could do it all and do it well. They knew more tricks and work arounds than a dozen other players put together. There scores were never the top because they weren't here for scores. But if you wanted to jump start a map you wanted these guys around to get things rolling. It was always fun when these guys were pushing the buttons.

Top fighter jocks, top buff pilots, top GVers, they are just good at ONE aspect of the game. I'd rather see more guys good at many/all aspects of the game than any more guys good at only one. 

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
Greebo is a special guy...

I very much appreciate him...
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2014, 08:15:07 PM »
The post above is from who I feel is one of the best all around dogfighters in this game. <S>Widewing, you taught me much :aok

Never got the opportunity to take my 1a vs Greebo's F6, would look forward to it though.

BigRat
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:16:50 PM by Big Rat »
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2014, 08:58:48 PM »
To begin with <S> Greebo. I concur with the overall package assessment. I always made a b-line to any hellcat if I knew Greebo was in the AO because he is one heck of a fun fight, not going to HO you and not going to run. Most of the other names being thrown around wing up or perch.

And... then you add contributions to the game, overall nice guy to share wisdom. Nice thread Fester.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2014, 01:41:28 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:20:59 PM by hitech »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2014, 01:53:38 PM »
Thanks Cit and everyone else for the kind comments. While I'm pretty good at what I do I've never thought I was even close to being the best pilot in the game. I essentially just fly one plane and one flying style while others are good in many planes and styles.

:salute :cheers: Mate  Haven't seen you in awhile
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »
Hi Ammo, I've been working long hours every day recently. It has left me too tired to play late at night UK time when arena numbers are good enough. The few times I have logged on I've just flown like a zombie. The skinning I mostly do in the morning when my brain is working again but there's no one online then.

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2014, 12:09:18 AM »
Thank you Greebo <<S>> you are always a blast to fight against in a hellcat
G3-MF

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2014, 08:50:36 PM »
Drex
Leviathon
Zigrat
Wildthing
Runway

Offline TheManx

• Copper Member
      • http://4wingonline.com
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »
Drex, Levi and Fester were are really tough people to fight when I played.
All three would be added to my list of people who were considered as the top back when I played!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »
So many great players named here.   Seems like the should be an AH Hall of Fame, if there isn't one already.

I agree contributing fantastic skins to the game, making terrains, being a terrific stick and a great sport are all ways to measure a player's value to the game.  But I want to mention how much I appreciate all the film makers - the Niros, LePape, 20Dolby10, etc - these guys take what happens in the game and package into videos, adding a special kind of excitement and appeal to the game.   And all the CMs who organize and run special events,  and the trainers who help newbies learn the ropes are very important contributors too.   

So I can't vote for just one "best".   <S> to everybody named in this thread.