Author Topic: Eric 'Winkle' Brown on BBC  (Read 1216 times)

Offline gripen

• Silver Member
Eric 'Winkle' Brown on BBC
« on: November 14, 2014, 03:22:38 PM »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Eric 'Winkle' Brown on BBC
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 10:42:34 PM »
Nice!  Thanks for the post.  :aok

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 02:47:53 AM »
Guy is a legend.   If only there were more like him.    :salute
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 08:53:13 AM »
I'd say Yeager and Brown are both on the same level.

Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 07:24:58 PM »
I'd say Yeager and Brown are both on the same level.

(Image removed from quote.)

Not even a little bit. Yeager couldn't hold Brown's jock.

Hoover carries the day and will forever be the unattainable standard to which men should be measured.

Offline drgondog

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 05:41:08 PM »
Not even a little bit. Yeager couldn't hold Brown's jock.

Hoover carries the day and will forever be the unattainable standard to which men should be measured.

Curiosity compels me to ask what your metrics are?

I guess I have to ask:
How much time have you had with any (all) of them to make assessments regarding a.) flying ability as measured by instrument flying skills, emergency procedures, judgment under stress, formation flying, etc; b.) combat record, test pilot record, diversity of test and combat environments; c.) demonstrated courage and skills when knocked out of a normal environment (i.e walking out of France and into Spain while being hunted by the German army).

You want to place Brown with Yeager as a combat fighter pilot? or Hoover?

You want to claim that either Hoover of Brown have been placed into more high stress test flying environment?  What did either Hoover or Brown fly that pushed the envelope of speed and altitude in 'one off' experimental ships with crappy flying qualities?

I've known Yeager a long time, not particularly fond of the kind of person that he has become since Glynnis passed away but I think I can look at his accomplishments in aviation as a pilot and leading edge pioneer objectively.  Can you?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:53:45 PM by drgondog »
Nicholas Boileau "Honor is like an island, rugged and without shores; once we have left it, we can never return"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 06:52:31 PM »
Single handed capture of German airbase. Brown FTW.   :lol

Seriously, it's silly to compare them. All giants.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 08:46:03 PM »
They are all amazing and accomplished guys.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »
"Memories of a WW2 Hero", Eric Brown's story is on Netflix. I highly recommend it.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80021875?trkid=3565916
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »
What did either Hoover or Brown fly that pushed the envelope of speed and altitude in 'one off' experimental ships with crappy flying qualities?
Brown flew the DE Havilland 108 that killed Geoffrey (no slouch pilot himself). It killed two other pilots as well. It tried to kill Brown as well. It failed.

I have tremendous respect for the flying skills of all three men, Hoover especially. As far as their characters,  I've already commented in another thread about what the other test pilots at Edwards thought of Yeager and his bullying, "who needs a flight plan?", "I'll call General LeMay if you don't like it" attitude. He single-handedly destroyed the NF-104 program with his antics, and guys like Frank Borman were not the least bit happy with him. His subsequent attempt to blame the airplane for his unwillingness to learn how to operate the thing or follow the test flight profile (the post crash investigation showed there was absolutely nothing wrong with the aircraft) speaks volumes about the man's suitability as a test pilot.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 04:05:12 PM »
Brown's book "Wings On My Sleeve" is excellent and details his many accomplishments. Hoover's book "Forever Flying" is also excellent.