Author Topic: Color: How far off from Monitor to Monitor?  (Read 909 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Color: How far off from Monitor to Monitor?
« on: November 13, 2014, 03:43:01 PM »
I have always wondered how far apart different monitors render color.

It's like my wife sees farther than me into yellow while I see farther than her into blue and red. Our greens are about equal. She used to teach art and we set up a test after an argument remodeling. My eyes individualy see green and red differently than hers in terms of an overall shading.

Even when you gentlemen find the authoritative color codes and sources for WW2 country colors. When you critique a skin posted in here for an off color. How was that creator seeing the color he chose while viewing on his monitor if he used the same sources you do? What do the players in the game downloading then see from theirs?

Are there any common conversion pallets that will score color response across monitors to return a probability scale that a color is roughly the same. Or is everyone changing colors on their end to show up on an individual critics monitor a certain way that may not show up that way anywhere else? But, then the critic has trusted authority, versus anyone else's genetic eye color perception proclivities or their monitor's proclivities?

I noticed that my gunsights look one way from my monitor, but very different across many other players screen captures, or when they would send me their modifications to one of my gunsights. And as a test pulling them up on my wife's PC, the colors are not quite the same.

So how do you gentlemen resolve this?   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Color: How far off from Monitor to Monitor?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 04:29:34 PM »
When I use a color I try to match it to a specific RGB color, this ensures that no mater what it looks like on the other end it will always be consistent.

Newer monitors are more consistent in their color variations but graphics cards also come into play when it comes to color. The biggest difference in colors could probably be seen between a new $200 LED monitor and a 20 year old CRT monitor.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 05:06:24 PM »
I have my PC linked to two monitors; a 120 hz gaming monitor with a fast TN type screen and a Dell with an IPS screen. The latter does a much better job of colour reproduction and I use it for skinning. My skins look a little different viewed on the gaming monitor but I have realised there is not much point obsessing about this. Even if I got my monitor's colour balance tuned perfectly there is no way I could allow for all the differences in other AH players' eyesight and monitors.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 06:27:06 PM »
So especially with RLM colors, when you make judgments about other players color's being off with all the available pallets online. Are they really off, or your monitor is resolving the color differently?

Does Skuzzy in his requirements for authenticity have standards which disqualify skins over color discrepancies?

Some of this comes from running into an old stash of my gunsights I created on a different monitor and video card from years ago. I couldn't believe I used the colors I did as rendered by my current card and monitor. But, the art program was the same I use today with the same Gaussian blur routine.

Kind of like some skins render pinkish brown on my monitor but, the player next to me from his monitor sees light brown when we compare what we see.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 07:35:31 PM »
So especially with RLM colors, when you make judgments about other players color's being off with all the available pallets online. Are they really off, or your monitor is resolving the color differently?

Does Skuzzy in his requirements for authenticity have standards which disqualify skins over color discrepancies?

Some of this comes from running into an old stash of my gunsights I created on a different monitor and video card from years ago. I couldn't believe I used the colors I did as rendered by my current card and monitor. But, the art program was the same I use today with the same Gaussian blur routine.

Kind of like some skins render pinkish brown on my monitor but, the player next to me from his monitor sees light brown when we compare what we see.

As long as you only ever use the same monitor, the colors will always look the same whether from references or other peoples works. The color will always be the same color no matter where it's coming from (color depth on the other hand may be lost between monitors).

The only way HTC would reject a skin based on colors is if it was not even close to the proper color. If you use a dark olive drab thinking it's a light olive drab, it's probably not going to be rejected.

Offline Hetzer7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 12:39:57 PM »
Everyone percieves colors a little differently, the ladies have an advantage of sorts in that a large percentage of men (but very few women) suffer color blindness to some degree. The most important factor for consistant color across different monitors and color printers is a neutral grey balance. Heres a good basic calibration procedure for windows:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/calibrate-your-display

color printers should also have a similar procedure, though they all differ slightly.

Good Luck! <S> Hetzer

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 12:43:46 PM »
As long as you only ever use the same monitor, the colors will always look the same whether from references or other peoples works. The color will always be the same color no matter where it's coming from (color depth on the other hand may be lost between monitors).

The only way HTC would reject a skin based on colors is if it was not even close to the proper color. If you use a dark olive drab thinking it's a light olive drab, it's probably not going to be rejected.

That's one reason why I like the Simmers Paint Shop; it gives the RGB values for colors in addition to the FS, ANA, RLM, etc. numbers, so even if the color is slightly off on your monitor, you can generally assume it's correct.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 03:27:38 PM »
TN based monitors, out of the box, are quite horrible at accurate color reproduction.  The faster the monitor, the worse they are.  You cannot get into a LCD type of panel with good color reproduction until you get away from TN based technology.  Currently, about the best you can get, in color reproduction, is the AH-IPS technology.

If you want to know how bad your monitor is, here is a simple way to look at it; http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_gradient.htm

Keeping in mind, that is you have any type of color deficiency in your eyesight, then you may not be able to see much of anything wrong.

Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com