Author Topic: Headsets. Good, reliable headsets.  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Headsets. Good, reliable headsets.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »
I like my Logitech 930s, and it allows me to set it up in AH so that vox comes in through the headset and game sounds through my regular speakers.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 05:24:58 PM »
Okay, what would be a good mic to use if I get a headset without one.  And where would it be mounted, on the LCD screen top, or someplace else?  How well will it pick up voice for gaming purposes and such, and where is the best place for it.  Something that isn't Firewire, just USB or able to use the regular mic jack.

I found a bunch of info, mics like the Blue Yeti and others in that 150$ or less range, I just want to know if they pic up voice from the desk stands that come with them, ie from a foot or two away.  I found the "modmic" as well, which many attach to audiophile/soundstage headsets to give them a boom mic.  Just want to know what the best option is.

I use a boom, but you can also get a stand. The mic I have used in the past has a 'sweetspot' pickup pattern about the size of a basketball in front of the element (it is directional). So, while you do not have to strain to get into a talking position it does make a difference. My experience is limited to the powered mics, and I would stay away from strictly USB mics in favor of something that uses a USB or Firewire interface. Either method will provide for ASIO streams that do not need to be processed either through the CPU or sound card. If you have used USB mics before and without issue then the Yeti is a great mic with quite a few options.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 11:03:33 AM »
I just replaced my Turtle Beach headset with a HyperX Cloud headset from Kingston.  I found the headset to be very good value for the money.  It is more comfortable, does not require a USB connection, and has good mic quality.

Might want to check it out.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 12:59:11 PM »
Plastic: bad. Steel: good.

Just my experience.

Razer will never get so much as a penny from me, after what I had to go through.   The two companies are light years apart and ROCCAT actually cares about their customers.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 01:28:07 PM »
Sennheiser G4ME Zero or PC363D are probably one of the best. Sennheiser is a very highly regarded head-fi brand. I've owned Beyerdynamic DT660s in the past and they were good. I don't like headphones too much though, I'm a planar speaker guy.

I like the Sennheiser's myself......got the old granddaddy gaming PC 350 headset currently. Had them since 11-28-2010 & they have performed flawlessly.

The only caveat I will say concerning Sennheiser gaming equipment (outside of the PC363D headset & of course the cost.....) is that they typically do not provide any sound enhancement capabilities to the signal that comes from your sound equipment.....meaning that at a minimum IMHO you should run these off a good quality discrete sound card that has an onboard amp to drive them or you may be disappointed w/ the output from them. Onboard sound just doesn't do Sennheisers any justice......

YMMV

I'm going to upgrade mine to the Sennheiser G4ME Zero headset due to the placement of the headset controls (on the headset itself) vs the PC 350's that I currently have (on the headset cable) & the Zero is a closed cup design vs the PC 350's being an open cup design, like the PC363D's......................

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 07:29:19 PM »
Roccat Kave 5.1 
Metal hinges were the selling point for me.
Most everything in my price range reminded me of Turtle Beach Z6A, which I would suggest only suggest to my worst enemies. I had a Z6A break while just wearing it while flying.

Very happy with the Roccat got them in July this year for around $87.00 at Amazon.

LtngRydr
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 07:57:13 PM »
Roccat Kave 5.1 
Metal hinges were the selling point for me.

Very happy with the Roccat got them in July this year for around $87.00 at Amazon.

LtngRydr

You just reaffirmed my decision.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 10:39:05 PM »
Wait, metal hinges? Time to take a closer look at that thing...
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 10:48:49 PM »
Wait, metal hinges? Time to take a closer look at that thing...

ROCCAT builds things to last.   Don't sell them short.

Aluminum hinges.   http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Sound/ROCCAT-Kave-5-1/#crb_2
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:51:07 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 09:12:41 AM »
forgot to mention, my TrackIR Pro Clip fits perfectly to my Roccat  :aok
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 04:41:21 PM »
I have kave 5.1 its awesome and so is track ir

I am even more awesome than I was last week and I was really awesome last
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 04:44:21 PM »
I can't even read this thread due to being blinded by zack's awesomeness!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »
Zack forgot the obligatory :old: :old: to every ZackPost.

IMO his awesomeness slipped slightly with this quite disappointing commission.  

I may give the Roccat 5.1 a whirl, still debating if I want to go back the the Sennheisers which I've really liked in the past.  Thing is with most of them you need a headphone amp, which means adding a soundcard, and with the SLI in my main gaming box, I don't know if I can squash it in.  Nice hearing the Roccat are easy to use with TrackIR, you can never tell from the pics if it's thin enough in the area it needs to be with any headset, for that flimsy crappy trackclip to work.  As great as TrackIR is, they really fell on their face designing the apparatus that attaches it to your noggin IMO.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:52:11 PM by Gman »

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
I've went through 3 turtle beach sets in the 2 years ive used them, they are junk.

And i bought another one two weeks ago.  I will be trying these suggestions when this one breaks in three months.

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 12:03:43 AM »
Ok,

Edge, Lab Rat, Lazerr, expect a knock on your door within a couple days...

Gman, you initialed it, so I expect you to chop off your ring finger and mail it to me within a week...

And of course...

Zack rules. :old:
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old: