Author Topic: R4M Rockets on Me262  (Read 5231 times)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: R4M Rockets on Me262
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 02:18:55 PM »
From Wiki:

"The R4Ms were usually fired in four salvos of six missiles at intervals of 70 milliseconds from a range of 600 m..."[i/]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R4M

Is the 70millisecond interval between salvos, or individual missiles?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 03:52:02 PM »
I believe that's per missile. :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 06:50:45 PM »
Me 163 with R4M rockets on the underwing.

R4Ms (showing the wooden under wing launcher) on a Me 262.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 07:00:09 PM »
...and the Dora:

Close-up views of a R4M rocket-toting Fw 190 Dora-9 filmed by a US 101 Div. cameraman in the winter of 1945-6 at Schongau. Still extracts from this footage were previously exploited in Vol II of the Eagle Editions Fw 190 Dora volume, although were first described in the David Wadman/Brown Experten Decals No.3 book published way back in 1995.

The film was shot on 02 May 1945 according to Crandall. The machine is identified in that publication as Fieseler-built Dora-9 'white 52', possibly 'chevron white 52' of 1./JG 101 and it is suggested that this unit/field served possibly as a satellite field/unit for the aircraft of the Verbandsführerschule General der Jagdflieger based 30 miles away at Bad Wörishofen.. The camouflage and markings infer an aircraft from the 600601-600680 Werknummer series. Note the lower cowling is painted in yellow. There are 13 white-tipped rockets on each wooden underwing rack.

The R4M was the only air-to-air rocket to see service with the Luftwaffe and its effectiveness was successfully demonstrated by the Me 262. Its warhead contained a high-explosive charge weighing some 440 grams  (R=Rakete, 4= kg weight, M=Minenkopf). During February 1945 an entire Staffel of Dora-9s had been assigned to test unit JGr. 10 at Parchim to trial the R4M rockets under operational conditions and when this unit was disbanded during April 1945 the surviving aircraft went to at least two other units, JG 26 and possibly JG 301 - although Crandall quotes Cescotti, TO of JG 301, who asserts that no such transfer to JG 301 was realised. Luftwaffe fighters arriving in Norway at the end of the war included a number of Doras belonging to II./JG 26 mounting R4M rockets.

Note too the "52" in small black figures (partly covered by snow) on the wing leading edge. Similar leading-edge markings were seen on aircraft serving with the Verbandsführerschule General der Jagdflieger. The pilots seat is on the ground behind the wing. The aircraft featured a blown canopy - the plexiglas is shattered here..note the absence of a spinner spiral, another feature of Verbandsführerschule aircraft.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 12:32:04 AM »
+1 !  :aok

" Army Of Wolves "

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 05:40:20 AM »
That "Me 163" does not look real, strange form of the bow with the prop (for generator AFAIR) missing. Mock-up installation in one of the Me 163 glider prototypes?
Also did they continue to use the Me 163 until the end? I thought they were removed from service as ineffective and too dangerous (not enough bang for the buck).

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 05:44:43 AM »
That "Me 163" does not look real, strange form of the bow with the prop (for generator AFAIR) missing. Mock-up installation in one of the Me 163 glider prototypes?
Also did they continue to use the Me 163 until the end? I thought they were removed from service as ineffective and too dangerous (not enough bang for the buck).
The 163 is a glider... With a rocket engine built in, it was meant to attack as a glider. But yes, this was the full glider model with no engine installed, the undercarriage and the lack of an engine are clear giveaways  :D

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »
Stampf,

Any documentation of the Dora using R4M against bombers from the 8th AAF. Like the verified kills of bombers from 262 using R4M. How much do those mountings effect the Dora's speed on WEP? I bet you have some ideas about the unintended consequences in the MA. Even the lowly CHog had it's rein of terror years ago.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
Stampf,

Any documentation of the Dora using R4M against bombers from the 8th AAF. Like the verified kills of bombers from 262 using R4M. How much do those mountings effect the Dora's speed on WEP? I bet you have some ideas about the unintended consequences in the MA. Even the lowly CHog had it's rein of terror years ago.

I'm not really adding to the wish for these rockets bro, just adding to the history part.  They would be devastating, too devastating in game I think.

A lot of folks I've found had no idea these were used on the D-9 as well.  And no not off hand - as far as actual combat results - or even performance of the testing under combat.  They only had 3 months to try em, seeing as the original 16 Dora's we're equipped in Feb, '45.  But I'll look for you.  Likely as was the case very often in the last months, these kids flying them were shot down and killed long before even getting to the bombers.  I'll look for some data.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 01:56:27 PM »

It's a picture of the Me 163 flown by Adolf Niemeyer.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 03:04:07 PM »
Anything with these rockets would turn onto a fun de-acking machine
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 08:21:14 PM »
Anything with these rockets would turn onto a fun de-acking machine

Many of the RM4 with anti tank head were also used (Even by 262s! ). I read a combat report from a 262 squad leader i think from jg7 saying something along the lines of: the speed of the 262 at flying low enabled us to surprise formations of tanks and r4m anti-tank rockets were extremely effective at destroying even the heaviest of russian tanks.

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 03:20:38 PM »
Here is the report

30 April
Almost all fighter-bomber Staffeln had moved to Prague/Ruzyne by April 30th . JG 7 had found this base well stocked with vast amounts of fuel and R4M rockets. This allowed the unit to continue in the ground attack role, strafing Russian armour moving along the Guben-Cottbus road en route for Berlin. Oberfeldtwebel Otto Pritzl well remembered the low-level sorties against the heavily armoured T-34 tanks. The jet pilots found that their R4Ms were deadly; the attacks, delivered at low level and high speed, meant that results could not immediately be seen, but on subsequent sorties the awesome results were apparent. He recalled, “We saw the total effect of our rocket attacks was massive””

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 06:40:13 PM »
...and the Dora

Adding rockets to Dora would be really excellent.

" Army Of Wolves "

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 08:38:10 PM »
Adding rockets to Dora would be really excellent.

(Image removed from quote.)

ewwwwww I think it would be best to leave them to the 262. I feel like having them on a dora would make them see many unintended uses.
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech