Author Topic: Need help making Videos  (Read 740 times)

Offline Chief

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Fighter Group
Need help making Videos
« on: December 01, 2014, 10:54:35 AM »
I know its not much material out there on this subject from what I could find from personal research, but for those who do make videos, any tips on what I can use...tried fraps it was very disappointing...i have nvidia shadowplay but it only records while Im in game which is cool, but I want to record the parts I edited in Film viewer ...
Squad: TAs AeroFighters Inc. (active) | 332nd Fighter Group (2014/2015)
Pilot: Greaser

The Battle Over The Winter Line

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Need help making Videos
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 11:51:47 AM »
I know its not much material out there on this subject from what I could find from personal research, but for those who do make videos, any tips on what I can use...tried fraps it was very disappointing...i have nvidia shadowplay but it only records while Im in game which is cool, but I want to record the parts I edited in Film viewer ...

You can export the parts you edit in film viewer to an AVI which you can edit further in almost any modern editing software. You will need to pick a codec for the conversion and there are quite a few that don't work very well. A list of what works and what doesn't can be found here: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,346137.0.html

Offline Chief

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Fighter Group
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »
Ok, I'll give it a try

Offline Chief

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Fighter Group
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 02:50:34 PM »
This is hard...makes no sense why you would make software for the game and it doesn't work...tried converting and I dislike every option

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 03:57:52 PM »
Don't bother with the film viewer, unless you're trying for static or Matrix-style effects. It's much easier to use Fraps or Open Broadcaster (free) to record as you're playing the game, and there's no need to go back and record after the fact - it records what you see as you play it.

You can also modify the settings to have it record from the film viewer as well. It records in native H264, so file sizes are much smaller than Fraps or the film viewer itself (both of which produce AVI output).

If you do record from the film viewer, make sure to record it at full screen size so you get a 1:1 resolution. This goes regardless of what program you're recording with. Otherwise, your film viewer film will actually have a lower resolution than what appears in-game, making it look disproportionate and pixelated compared to what you see in the game.

Here's an example of what Open Broadcaster looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQhN7LUJfPU

https://obsproject.com/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 04:05:42 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 04:31:40 PM »
If you want to use the film viewer shots, then save them as uncompressed AVI's, and then use a video editor, such as Sony Vegas, to put the pieces together.

There are pros and cons to every approach.  The film viewer allows you custom camera positions and paths in the output, but it does not record audio to the output.  The film viewer will also create perfectly fluid videos, regardless of the graphic stutters you might have in the original recording.

External recorders do record the video.  As they grab the rendered frame, they also benefit from any anti-alias setting.  The film viewer does not.  However, you can work around this.  By creating all the video in 1920x1080 (or higher), then sampling down to 1280x720p in the output, it will soften the edges.

All the videos we have on our Youtube channel were done with a combination of Sony Vegas Pro, Aces High Film Viewer, Fraps, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Audition, and some other programs.

There is no single "best" method for video work.  It really starts with what you want to accomplish.  The tools will usually reveal themselves when you decide on that.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:54:25 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chief

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Fighter Group
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 06:14:57 PM »
So with Open Broadcaster, I can record what I made in AHFV, and piece it together with Adobe Premiere ??
Don't bother with the film viewer, unless you're trying for static or Matrix-style effects. It's much easier to use Fraps or Open Broadcaster (free)

You can also modify the settings to have it record from the film viewer as well. It records in native H264, so file sizes are much smaller than Fraps or the film viewer itself (both of which produce AVI output).

Here's an example of what Open Broadcaster looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQhN7LUJfPU

https://obsproject.com/
What if I have Adobe Premiere...can this be the problem Im having?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5D5vXAsGTA

If you want to use the film viewer shots, then save them as uncompressed AVI's, and then use a video editor, such as Sony Vegas, to put the pieces together.

There are pros and cons to every approach.  The film viewer allows you custom camera positions and paths in the output, but it does not record audio to the output.

All the videos we have on our Youtube channel were done with a combination of Sony Vegas Pro, Fraps, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Audition, and some other programs.

There is no single "best" method for video work.  It really starts with what you want to accomplish.  The tools will usually reveal themselves when you decide on that.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:20:35 PM by Chief »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 06:19:47 PM »
Start by describing your first problem.

Offline Chief

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Fighter Group
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 06:25:40 PM »
The problem I am having is, exporting the shots I made in Aces High Film Viewer...converting the shots and then putting them into an editing software...like windows movie maker...or sony vegas...or adobe premiere...you know I'll find an example and post it because Ive seen some nice videos..like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh9FOD463cg

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 10:15:29 PM »
Can you play the recorded shot the way you want to see it in the film viewer or do you need help with the viewer controls?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 09:56:37 AM »
If you want to save the shots, using the film viewer, so you can edit them in Adobe Premier, then save them as AVI, and use the "uncompressed" method.  This allows the best quality for the editor as it is a loss less format.

Now, that will lose the sound track.  However, if your sound card has the option to "record what you hear", you can record the audio into a separate file and apply it using Adobe Premier.  Simply set the record input in the Windows sound control panel, then start the recorder, and run the film in the viewer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Chief

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Fighter Group
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 11:21:45 AM »
Thank you Skuzzy, but why I do that ...the avi files are showing up as a black screen in adobe

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 11:47:52 AM »
Make sure you select the option, in the film viewer, to split the files.  If the file size gets over 2GB, then they will be corrupt.

With that option, the film viewer will create a folder, named by the film name, and then place all the pieces in it.  You can then load each piece and put it together in Adobe Premier.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Chief

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Fighter Group
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 12:05:14 PM »
Ok I'll give it a try....keep you posted

Offline Chief

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Fighter Group
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 03:10:28 PM »
I figured it out...I will try my best to keep quality...

Video will be coming soon...little short one...

Thank you for the help...super excited...happy holidays