Author Topic: Troubles with acheiving a coordinated turn  (Read 862 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Troubles with acheiving a coordinated turn
« on: December 29, 2014, 02:28:03 AM »
Hello,

I have always had troubles getting coordinated turn right - i.e. fly with no side-slip with correct coordination between rudder and ailerons.

I either overcompensate or under-compensate.

From what I understand in real-life with "butt-mater" can "feel" it much better than in front of virtual cockpit. Is it correct or I miss something?

How it is best to get things coordinated?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:51:23 AM by artik »
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: Troubles with acheiving a coordinated turn
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 03:48:57 AM »
You can see the adverse yaw as you bank, the nose will initially yaw away from direction of bank if not corrected.  What you are doing is countering the drag created by the down aileron.  Once established in the turn very little rudder is needed.

Practice is how you get better at it.  You will then by reflex add rudder when you use aileron.  Your butt does more to tell you if you did it right than tell you what to do, it's kind of a quality control check.

A drill you can do is point nose at a reference point then roll into alternating steep banks while using rudder to keep the nose on the ref point.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:53:21 AM by colmbo »
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 03:56:11 AM »
If you tend to over-do it, try scaling the rudder axis if you haven't already.

When you roll into a turn the rising wing has a higher AOA while it's rising against the airflow.
This creates more lift which results in more drag. This is why you need more yaw correction
when rolling into and out of the turn than you do while holding a steady turn.

Get in the habit of adding rudder as you roll. Right for right and left for left. Add and remove rudder along with the roll.

Depending on aircraft model and turn direction the steady state portion of the turn may need top rudder, no rudder or bottom rudder.  Top rudder means you push with your higher foot so in a left turn top rudder is right rudder.

A right turn would have you add right rudder as you roll right and pull back a little to maintain level flight. As you reach your bank angle the rudder should be near center again. Check the ball/slip indicator to see if the rudder needs adjustment. As you roll out of the turn you again add and remove rudder so it's centered with wings level.

Don't worry about the ball while you roll. Watch the nose against the background and you'll see when you're coordinated.
Regular short practice like a snap shot drill will make it a habit.  

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 09:13:15 AM »

From what I understand in real-life with "butt-mater" can "feel" it much better than in front of virtual cockpit. Is it correct or I miss something?

How it is best to get things coordinated?

this video is one of the best, originally posted by FLS in another thread:

Zeno's has posted a basic aerobatic training film showing the maneuver, ribbon diagram, and control positions.

http://youtu.be/4ciHwwRCeBw

and the "butt matter" is true for some, but not all, really depends on type of aircraft flown,  I always has to double check by looking at the ball.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 01:44:52 PM »
I always has to double check by looking at the ball.

Me, too.  But it becomes a subconscious scan after awhile.

- oldman

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »

When you roll into a turn the rising wing has a higher AOA while it's rising against the airflow.

Incorrect.  When rolling the down moving wing has the higher angle of attack.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 08:33:35 PM »
Incorrect.  When rolling the down moving wing has the higher angle of attack.

Doh! Let me rephrase.  :D.   The lowered aileron changes the shape of the wing, increasing lift and drag.  

Someone might wonder why the wing meeting the air with the lower AOA has more lift then the wing at a higher AOA when both have the same speed.  We know the rising wing has more lift, that's why it's going up. The explanation is that while the leading edge of the wings is meeting the air at a higher AOA for the descending wing than for the rising wing, the rising wing has more lift because the ailerons have changed the shape of both wings to different effect. The up aileron is reducing lift while the down aileron is increasing it. The rising wing has more lift because it's 0 lift AOA is now different from the descending wing's 0 lift AOA. This difference in 0 lift angle is enough to create more lift on the wing meeting the air at a lower AOA.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:16:50 PM by FLS »