Author Topic: Track IR-5: the six o'clock view!  (Read 3152 times)

Offline JUDAS

• Zinc Member
Re: Track IR-5: the six o'clock view!
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2014, 08:45:14 AM »
If you lower your head and recenter TIR then you'll be looking above the sight when you sit normally.

IDK why people don't do this more often!!!!!   You would be surprised how often you kill when you're not looking "through" the gunsights!
Only when im lining up to strafe ACk I "Look INTO" my gunsight!  or dead 6 shots

As for the View.  you're gonna have to fiddle with profile settings. I don't recommend disabling any of the axis because that defeats the purpose of TrackIR.   I don't have to "LEAN" I just turn my neck and that 1" of offset will lean my pilot around the seat.  GOOD LUCK, you will find the perfect setting!  Just keep tweaking.

..just remembered something!   I think the most important axis to deal with in this situation is the Z axis  turn it up a lil.  because if you look left+ lean forward toward your moniter with the right sensitivity on the Z axis your(pilots) face should be touching the glass..if you keep looking harder left  you should be able to see the back left elevator!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:59:13 AM by JUDAS »

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2014, 09:39:06 AM »
I think the approach Bustr wrote about is the fastest path to usability.  I'm thankful for it.  How many people have bought the TrackIR and then quietly put it in a drawer a few weeks later?

I appreciate what has been written here, great knowledge.  Because of that, I'll "keep on tweaking" one AH aircraft so I can master the TIR programming interface.  I got a 'C' in high school Trig.

Great discussion.

:salute
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:41:27 AM by Ratsy »
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 05:04:34 PM »
BREAKTHROUGH!!!

Gentlemen, I have made a HUGE breakthrough with TrackIR.

I'm using TrackIR 5 with the proclip. I've used the scaling suggested by others, and still couldn't get a six view. I tried bustr's way, but couldn't look around the bars in the Bf-109 cockpit the way I wanted to. Well, on a hunch, I tried something out today. Bustr's mention of Trueview was the key. I had trueview turned on, and in the TrackIR profiler, a six view was easy and the head moved the way I thought it would, but ingame, it just wasn't "right". I turned OFF trueview, left X,Y, and Z on, as well as pitch and yaw, and jumped back into the game, and it was like the clouds opened up, and everything worked perfectly! It seems the AH view system is completely backward when it comes to TrackIR.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 08:26:02 PM »
Wow. Track ir looks complicated. Was thinking of getting one but this thread has me thinking otherwise...

How long did you guys have to mess with it until it was usable?

Game handle: HellBuck

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2014, 08:46:08 PM »
Wow. Track ir looks complicated. Was thinking of getting one but this thread has me thinking otherwise...

It is usable right out of the box. The trick is learning how to use it.  :devil

It is different than the hat views and so you have to retrain yourself, much like switching from a twisty stick to rudder pedals.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 01:47:34 AM »
   Sorry, but this is just crazy talk and defeats the whole purpose of TRACK IR. Learn to set up a good profile, tweak it, and you can disregard your hat switches for good.
:)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 01:50:33 AM »
All i have on my stick is Pause and centre?.

I can look at my 6 with little movement?

All those figures?.

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 09:49:55 AM »

It's not complicated.  The trick is finding a profile or tweaking one to suit you.  Once you find something that feels like it works, it's just fine tuning from there. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 09:52:54 AM »
    Serenity, if you notice on the profile text I posted, True view is disabled also. it was one of the first thing I noticed when I started using TIR.
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:49 AM »
I started with the bunch Fugi had posted long ago, picked one of those that was close to something that worked for me and then tweaked it to what I liked. I've been tweaking it ever since. That's kind of an ongoing thing with TIR in my experience! I did NOT have Trueview checked for the longest time but eventually found it counter-intuitive to look back and lean the opposite way. Leaning right to look over my left shoulder wasn't getting it. I now have it checked and that works better for me.

The old saying YMMV pretty much fits perfectly with TIR! What works for me might not work for you or the next ten guys. It's all about personal preference but the good news is the program is hyper-configurable. You can decide what axii to use--or not. You can tweak each of those to your heart's content in tiny increments.

It DOES take a while to get used to. Once you've gotten used to it you won't really go back. I'm glad Vudu finally got one. Watching his epic videos was driving me nuts twisting my head trying to get the views to change with him using his hat switch hehe.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »

Took me all of fifteen minutes to conclude that my old TrackIR 3 was indispensable.  Replaced it with a 5 and the LED ProClip and I'm still flying with "my head on a swivel."

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 05:22:19 PM »
I'm glad Vudu finally got one. Watching his epic videos was driving me nuts twisting my head trying to get the views to change with him using his hat switch hehe.

LOL glad im not the only one who does that ! every video I watch.. I find myself turning my head to look around, becomes so natural, my daughter laughs her bellybutton off at me !
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 08:17:52 AM »
BREAKTHROUGH!!!

Gentlemen, I have made a HUGE breakthrough with TrackIR.

I'm using TrackIR 5 with the proclip. I've used the scaling suggested by others, and still couldn't get a six view. I tried bustr's way, but couldn't look around the bars in the Bf-109 cockpit the way I wanted to. Well, on a hunch, I tried something out today. Bustr's mention of Trueview was the key. I had trueview turned on, and in the TrackIR profiler, a six view was easy and the head moved the way I thought it would, but ingame, it just wasn't "right". I turned OFF trueview, left X,Y, and Z on, as well as pitch and yaw, and jumped back into the game, and it was like the clouds opened up, and everything worked perfectly! It seems the AH view system is completely backward when it comes to TrackIR.

This is almost right. The Game has a toggle switch for a similar function in the view options. One flips the game, one flips the TrackIR. So you have to set them so they are not cancelling each other.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 11:54:57 AM »
Pelota,

Stick with it, I have had mine for over a month or so now and like it, at first was very frustrating I still auger way more than when I was using just the hat switches but they are getting fewer and fewer, ask Fugitive for the TrkIR profiles he has collected I ran through them all and eventually just tweaked one to my liking, like Randy said it is very flexible and one could probably spend a lot of time tweaking everything but like you said there is a point were you just want to play the game.

I do not use any hat switches at this time, and Bruv you can just look at your target then use the zoom button like normal for the long shots.

Side note: Wife put up a Christmas Tree behind were I play and the lights were playing havoc with the IR sensor so be mindful of any lighting that could act as an IR source in your area.

Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 05:40:27 PM »
I collect profiles. 8 on vacation but will post a link Sunday when I get.