Author Topic: Planes Become Invincible Off Map  (Read 679 times)

Offline aarque

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
Planes Become Invincible Off Map
« on: December 14, 2014, 08:05:28 AM »
I reported a clear and severe bug in another thread about disappearing dar bar that itself disappeared in a discussion about what comprises NOE conditions. This bug was discovered on the same map and exact same location as the disappearing dar bar; to me the two seem much more interrelated than a circumstance of NOE flying and an inappropriate report of it as a bug. I have tested for conditions of this bug on other maps and it is not present; whether just outside the "printed" area, or beyond the boundary of the outermost complete sector, this bug exists on some but not all maps. It exists on Compello and I recorded a series of no damage collisions, like this:

This image shows the Tu-2's flown by KRILLEN, my P-47N and also the cliff that defines the edge of the visible map and continent it truncates:

As we cross back into the map, a slight manipulation of the recording using the controls of the AH Film Viewer reveals the anomaly. At the transition, each plane briefly disappears and reappears; lead, drones and pursuit. This event is captured at the exact moment for all four planes in the same frame. The first image shows drones and pursuit, lead is invisible:

If you compare these two images, you will see that only the zoom control has been adjusted and only the lead plane is visible:

My assumption is the POV changes from one side of the transition to the other as the zoom control is adjusted. Therefore planes outside the map "do not exist" from inside the map and in a non existent state would likely not throw dar bar either.

My final pass, only one second later on the recording, clipped the outer wing of the lead bomber and in doing so removed my rudder, right elevator and stabilizer. I then withdrew lest the TU-2's still had ammo. I started recording after I exhausted my own:
Now say, "rk"

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
Re: Planes Become Invincible Off Map
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 01:17:12 PM »
What stinks is spending a couple hours flying recon to find a lost captured cv, then finally find it at the map edge.  Re-up and fight our way there in bombers searching for it and finally find it through the "wall" after watching an enemy jet come out of the cliff.  Make a good drop....boom, boom, boom, boom,boom...no damage.  :headscratch: :D

Hopefully some these map glitches are cleaned up with the new graphics.  Most of them aren't big issues in the big picture, just annoying.

AMAX  in game

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 03:01:14 PM »
Ive known about this for a while.  Didnt think it was a bug, just a quirk. Its on every map btw.
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline aarque

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 05:49:18 AM »
CV's will not navigate off the map and therefore it is impossible for them to enter "the twilight zone" and become invulnerable. To be more clear: I have thoroughly tested this glitch and continue to do so. It is not present on all maps and for tactical reasons I'll withhold anything beyond that. Games don't really have quirks, they have the game and they have bugs. Since nothing has appeared in my hidden achievements, we can rule out Easter Egg - and since traveling through a zone of invulnerability to and from target mimics nothing about WWII, it is clearly a bug.
Now say, "rk"

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 10:10:58 AM »
CV's will not navigate off the map and therefore it is impossible for them to enter "the twilight zone" and become invulnerable. To be more clear: I have thoroughly tested this glitch and continue to do so. It is not present on all maps and for tactical reasons I'll withhold anything beyond that. Games don't really have quirks, they have the game and they have bugs. Since nothing has appeared in my hidden achievements, we can rule out Easter Egg - and since traveling through a zone of invulnerability to and from target mimics nothing about WWII, it is clearly a bug.

I know of one spot they can navigate off the map and be indestructible.  Several of us were there and the CV defender was a map designer.
AMAX  in game

Offline aarque

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 08:14:55 PM »
I know of one spot they can navigate off the map and be indestructible.  Several of us were there and the CV defender was a map designer.
So, they make a game with special rules and privileges that only they are privy to and then they bill us to populate it - and you treat it like it's no big deal? Guy frikkin writes a map, we freaking pay him to write a map and he puts this little alley way leading outside the map so he can hide a carrier in the twilight zone and then he goes and hides the carrier in the twilight zone and we think it is all cool and even obscure the details? What is it they do, make sure the server stays on?
Now say, "rk"

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 12:17:30 PM »
No.  The map wasn't one he designed and I don't think anyone involved had special privileges.  I just added that to show that someone who knows how maps are built was there as well.  I think any player on that country could have moved the cv through the wall and don't know if he did it or not, although he knew we were coming and was waiting in a jet behind the wall until we popped on radar  :D 

I don't think it's ok that the map has a bug.  But, the twilight zone off the maps has maybe been an issue 2-3 times for me in years of playing so its not a big priority to me.

I don't know if players get compensated when they make and submit a map that goes into rotation.  Its a lot of work.
AMAX  in game