Author Topic: Wiki "Under Repair"  (Read 2351 times)

Offline BLKBaron

• Zinc Member
Re: Wiki "Under Repair"
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 09:46:16 AM »
Skuzzy, it's my understanding you're probably the only one working on the wiki.

Instead of just asking when it will be up, it may be of some importance to hear that I have dabble a but with programming (C++, Java, HTML/CSS, Javascript) and I'd like to lend a hand if you'd allow it.

If you're interested, PM details or just reply on here. I'll keep an eye out.
No. 111 Black Arrows

"Ik bun Vulgaris Magistralis"

Striking laughter into the hearts of my enemies.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 07:03:36 PM »
I personally love to read the wiki. To bad it's down :(
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 08:14:34 AM »
On the links page several of the links are dead.  That page should be taken down till it is fixed.  Bad links makes a site look like the site is dying to new visitor.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 08:28:36 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:48:45 AM by Skuzzy »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 09:22:31 AM »
Here you go guys, knock yourselves out!

http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-Wiki

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 10:29:22 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:21:13 AM by Skuzzy »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 10:46:43 AM »
From what has been posted the wiki is so messed up that it looks like it would be easier to trash it and just start over.

Knowing that HTC looks to keep its company small it seems that they have hit that point where they can only get so much done. Rebuilding the wiki might now be a "wish list" item. Like so many of the things with this game the wiki was players administrated. Skuzzy set it up, and I think "Murdr" was the main administrator for it. The rest was player base input.... as that is what a wiki is anyway.

My other post was a bit of a tongue in cheek "joke" however making a new wiki may be a job for those that wish to have a wiki.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 03:35:36 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:19:08 AM by Skuzzy »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 06:24:55 AM »
It is this simple.  With all the errors in the Wiki, Google had stopped crawling our WEB site.  It killed any chance of finding us when you searched using Google.

Even if we can fix everything, there is nothing to prevent the Wiki from being corrupted again, unless we close it off to outside editing, which defeats the purpose of having a Wiki.

It will not be back any time soon.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 07:35:11 AM »
Anyway skuzz thanks for the reply and Atleast I understand =D :airplane:
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 07:51:49 AM »
Is it a big problem to delete any reference to wiki and the links page with broken links on the HTC website?  No information is better than broken pages.

It just looks so bad to new players.  There might even be a trust issue.  "Do I want to send money to a company that can't keep their website working?"

Not being critical here just offering what it looks like from the outside of HTC

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 09:52:51 AM »
Wiki's have given way to other methods of communication, I think.  Wikipedia being the exception.  It remains the new poor man's Britannica.

YouTubes are a better way to convey 'how to' information these days.  Especially for the folks coming up behind us old ones.  TechSmith has some very good products for creating how-to videos.

I would love to see a few updated ones created and sponsored by HiTech after AH3 is released: 

Film Editor
Basic Flight
Basic ACM
Terrain Editor
Mission Editor
The Art of Skinning
How an aircraft (the Beaufighter X for example) goes from concept to production  :devil

:salute

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline BLKBaron

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 10:39:05 AM »
Ok, true enough.

But the wiki was user-run. Why not release the information back to the user base and allow those capable and willing to rebuild in a better structure; instead of a wiki, why not link to a hosted Web page? Cost incurred for hosting would be minimal (paid hosting vs "free" ad-driven hosting) and anyone that would want the info available again could donate per annum until a sustainment solution is met. For the numbers-oriented, WordPress hosting plans are $99-$299 a year; GoDaddy is $72 a year for one of their packages. List is noninclusive.

On the Wiki subject, and I'm not being critical here, but aren't all changes on a Wiki subject to community or administrator approval, so someone can't just arbitrarily just change something and then post it? Never created or modified a Wiki before but I really use them. The encyclopedic layout of information is in a better format for, say, mobile users that are wanting to do some reading while out and about before doing some flying. Again, not being critical but I don't understand how users were able to mangle up the Wiki so badly, it has to be taken down. I'm only curious because if this is done again, mitigating measures need to be taken. It was very beneficial to me and other new players can greatly benefit from it too.

So, just my two cents on it.
No. 111 Black Arrows

"Ik bun Vulgaris Magistralis"

Striking laughter into the hearts of my enemies.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 11:31:10 AM »
There used to be plane info on the main page. It looks like that was replaced with the AH Wiki. If the old pages are stored somewhere maybe we'll see those again.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 11:45:42 AM »
Is it a big problem to delete any reference to wiki and the links page with broken links on the HTC website?  No information is better than broken pages.

It just looks so bad to new players.  There might even be a trust issue.  "Do I want to send money to a company that can't keep their website working?"

Not being critical here just offering what it looks like from the outside of HTC

I think you are talking about two different things.

The Wiki or our WEB site?  If broken links exist on the WEB site, please send them to me.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com