Author Topic: CV - Call Home  (Read 987 times)

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
CV - Call Home
« on: October 30, 2014, 12:25:55 PM »
One of the aspects of the game that I really like is the dynamic nature of the game that CVs bring to it.  A map can turn, even if you are on a "hammered" side, when just a couple of guys level a far off town, fly in and kill a last gun or two, while someone ups an LVT for a mad dash.  Fun stuff.  And again, even if your side is out numbered (or out classed!) you have something fun to do.

CV battles are fun too!  Getting a call "CV battle at xx" usually gets me (and others) to bail to get on a gun or to try to get an elusive Trop hit from a TBM.

With large maps, however, a stolen and hidden CV all but puts an end or dampens a side's ability to do this.  Right now we are on Day 1, 14 hours and 49 min on TAGMA.  And guess what, a Bish CV has been missing for over 24 hours.  And given the map and the time, that CV could be 15 to 18 sectors away from a Bish base.  Chances are that that CV is out of play for the rest of the map cycle.   The usually way a stolen CV is spotted is through a logging player who changes sides and PMs back someone its location, or, a shade account holder.   I think that it is fair to say that either tactic is not generally applauded. 

And BTW, the BISH do it too.  Right now the Bish have stolen and are hiding a NIT CV.  In fact, I have seen maps were the BISH have had 4 CVs hidden on a large map.

Put CVs back into play.

Here is one idea.  If a CV is orphaned from its port, have it broadcast its sector location (not with keypad info) once an hour IF it is more than 5 sectors away from its port.  I think that what that will do is either encourage a side that is hiding a CV to keep the CV within 5 sectors (and thus giving the other side a fair chance of spotting it) or, it will provide location information for someone to up say Lances for a long range NOE to target sortie.

You could also do things like only do this for ports/CVs that you originally owned (although it could bring about a interesting tactic by doing it for all ports/CVs; go capture a far off behind the line port, find out matching CV location by waiting an hour, sink CV, wait for re-spawn and open second front in rear.)  (Whatever).

Maybe others have other ideas to accomplish the same goal.

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
Re: CV - Call Home
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
This is not a good idea, what if the cv ends up being used and it's target is more than 5 sectors away?

This could be taken advantage of easily.

Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 01:30:27 PM »
I can expand on this...

IF we get some kind of sea scout plane (PBY), then why not, if a player flies over an enemy CV, a radar tracks it for say, 10 minutes. This can ONLY be done if a player hits puffy ack.

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 02:49:58 PM »
Your heart is in the right place towards the community with this one.

I'm not sure this is very important in the over all scheme of things if you look at spying being ignored. And any player really concerned can jump country for the night. Sucks with the 12hr restriction but, you do have a mechanism to find lost fleets. Then again, maps just as often are flipped in 24 hours. One thing, each country could also have a non capture able fleet or 2-3 that can be sunk. Then re-spawns in home country controlled territory as an offset to gamey CV hiding to game the map reset. Always wondered why countries didn't have a fleet headquarters home port strat for several fleets like this.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 04:07:39 PM »
I suggested this before in another thread.. when HQ is down, that country's CV's should be visible on the map
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 02:48:04 PM »
I suggested this before in another thread.. when HQ is down, that country's CV's should be visible on the map

The more I think about it, the more I like this solution.   Not only does it solve the problem of finding hidden CVs, but also it provides another reason to attack (and to defend) HQs.   

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 08:31:50 AM »
Today, 11/24/14 we are on day 4 of TAGMA and the Bish are missing most (OK 50%) of their CVs.  :frown:

On a large map that impacts game play.  :mad:

I see this as an issue and wish there was someway (not just my suggestion) to address this.    :joystick:

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »
Today, 11/24/14 we are on day 4 of TAGMA and the Bish are missing most (OK 50%) of their CVs.  :frown:

On a large map that impacts game play.  :mad:

I see this as an issue and wish there was someway (not just my suggestion) to address this.    :joystick:

:devil :devil

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 06:06:16 PM »
:devil :devil

I would be  :furious  or  :mad:  if I was not so  :(
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 06:44:58 PM »
Think I read a post that the Rooks are hiding 5 of them at the moment...... I'd start looking in the corners of the map in Rookland...... Seems to be where countries take CVs out of play for <laugh> tactical reasons  :rolleyes:
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 07:46:53 PM »
I thought about this earlier today,, my idea was, if rooks owned the port and Knights owned the cv,, as ships got sunk, they would return to port and not respawn to the Cv group,  just an idea,, it seemed stupid to think an enemy port would rebuild and send out a support toejam to a cv group!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 06:56:43 AM »
I thought about this earlier today,, my idea was, if rooks owned the port and Knights owned the cv,, as ships got sunk, they would return to port and not respawn to the Cv group,  just an idea,, it seemed stupid to think an enemy port would rebuild and send out a support toejam to a cv group!

For a straight port, (no town attached), the CV is the prize.  I'm OK with that aspect of the whole thing.  It is just that if you capture and sink a CV say in the late evening, you have enough time to go send it 20 sectors away.

If you capture a CV your side should be made to manage it smartly or risk having it lost.

Right now the Capture and Hide tactic is mindless.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:02:14 AM by SysError »
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 02:25:19 PM »
For past three (maybe four) days BISH have been hiding two NIT CVs on COMPELLO.   This is not just a TAGMA issue as someone said.

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 06:47:47 AM »
We are now 1 day and 20 hours into a new TAGMA and Bish have already "lost" 2 CVs for over 24 hours. 

Maybe HTC could indicate which map is current on the home page so that I don't have log into to check to see if we are off this map.

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »
One thing, each country could also have a non capture able fleet or 2-3 that can be sunk. Then re-spawns in home country controlled territory as an offset to gamey CV hiding to game the map reset. Always wondered why countries didn't have a fleet headquarters home port strat for several fleets like this.

THIS.......

:aok

:pray :pray :pray :pray
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)