Author Topic: Weird Multiple Screens o Death  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Weird Multiple Screens o Death
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 08:37:48 AM »
You do not have the native sound card drivers installed.  That is going to cause problems.  The default Microsoft supplied sound driver is not very good for use in DirectX (DirectSound).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 09:03:25 AM »
I am using "standard" devices as best I know.  I haven't done anything with them.  The only changes that I think would happen is when I go through and do the update drivers options.  I go through monthly and click on "update drivers" on everything I can find.  Nothing special.

Thanks! 
Now that sounds like we've found the main culprit. If I understand you correctly, you have the default Microsoft drivers all over (including the sound card drivers) and only go through Device Manager to update them. If that's the situation, it's a miracle you have managed this far!

By the DxDiag report I assume your computer is a self built one - either by yourself or someone else instead of a <brand> pc. In that case you should have got a CD with your motherboard, including the essential drivers for each component on the mobo. Plus a truckload of less important stuff. In case your computer is a <brand> pc with a clean reinstall of Windows, the model specific drivers can be found in the manufacturer's support site.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 09:39:53 AM »
What I understand from what you both indicate is to:

Locate the correct sound driver and install it.

Locate the correct motherboard driver at their site and install.

For now, we have established that I should NOT install the new power supply as I risk burning something out in the mid to long term...

Gents, I truly appreciate all of your input.  Thank you very much!

DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 04:50:11 PM »
You do not have the native sound card drivers installed.  That is going to cause problems.  The default Microsoft supplied sound driver is not very good for use in DirectX (DirectSound).

I am not quite sure what driver to look for regarding "native sound card drivers" vs. "Microsoft supplied sound driver".  But I do believe this is most likely the culprit.

Any information is appreciated.  I am afraid I will attempt to download the wrong driver and make things worse...

There COULD be a bottle of something for your troubles...    :cheers:

DCS:
SlipKnoT

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »
 If you are using onboard sound the drivers should be included with the MB drivers.
   Be sure to disable the sound on the vidcard!

If you have an actual sound card,go to the manufacturer's site to get the drivers.

hope that helps.

:salute

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 09:09:55 AM »
Like morfiend said.  There is no way for us to know what sound device your system has without knowing the exact model number of the motherboard, assuming it is an onboard sound chip.

If you know the make and model of the motherboard, then visit the manufacturers WEB site and download the drivers from there.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »
Get something like PC Wizard. Its free. It will tell you everything about your system. Then you can target the drivers at the manufacturer's web site. Also, when you find the drivers read the release notes. You may see your problem talked about.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 05:46:57 PM »
For now, we have established that I should NOT install the new power supply as I risk burning something out in the mid to long term...

Under-powering your pc is far worse then over-powering (is over-powering even a thing?)

You should install it as soon as you can.
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 10:18:58 AM »
Under-powering your pc is far worse then over-powering (is over-powering even a thing?)

You should install it as soon as you can.
Poison, you apparently haven't read all of this thread. The new power supply is of a brand that hasn't been mentioned in any manufacturer list. The only information you can find about it is on sites that sell it and some bulletin boards where people ask if they dared to buy one. And get advised not to.

Of course a brand new power supply has a warranty, but it doesn't cover any damage caused to other components.

And yes, over-powering is a thing. It can cause issues.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »
Poison, you apparently haven't read all of this thread. The new power supply is of a brand that hasn't been mentioned in any manufacturer list. The only information you can find about it is on sites that sell it and some bulletin boards where people ask if they dared to buy one. And get advised not to.

Of course a brand new power supply has a warranty, but it doesn't cover any damage caused to other components.

And yes, over-powering is a thing. It can cause issues.

Whoops must have missed that. Also why would you buy that OP :headscratch:
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »
Switching power supplies supply the cleanest power when they run between 70 and 80% load.  On either side of that number, the power can get noise in it causing premature failure of mechanical components (ever see how hot a DC motor gets when you introduce a .5% ripple?  Not pretty).

Too big of a power supply is actually worse than too small.  Too small, and the power supply will simply not supply any power.  Too large and the power supply will surge power at regular intervals until some capacitors on the device it is powering simply pop.

The worst is the power supply which is right at the edge of being large enough to drive everything.  It will take out every component attached to it as it crowbars over and over again (thousands of times a second).  Nasty.

Linear power supplies are another story.  You can attach any load you want to them.  They just go.  Unfortunately, they weigh a ton and are huge, which is mostly why they are not used.  They are horribly inefficient as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 01:24:22 PM »
Still having my computer freeze.  It isn't a black or blue screen of death.  It is actually diagonal white and gray lines.

Mostly happens in game.  Sometime it happens when running other programs with sound.

It is a sound card issue. 

I deactivated one and run on the other.  I have tried both with the other shut down.  Still happening from time to time.  I'm real sceerd to lift perk rides as a result.  i blow my points well enough on my own thank you very much.  Don't need the computer crashing to help me lose them faster...

I never installed the new power supply.  And I won't.  I may save it for a new build I am considering doing.  My son is claiming my current computer and wants an AH account when I get my new system....  he will be a new squeaker one day soon!

For now.  I am still having issues and am lost trying to find what I need when it comes to drivers.  When I find the list of drivers, I can't tell which one I need and there are too many listed...

Is there any trick I need to know about on how to select the correct driver?  It scares me to click on something before I know the result.  For now, I have one card deactivated in the control panel. 

Someone I work with mentioned I could be having a heat sync issue and maybe entertain getting a new fan or something to the effect.  All of my fans run.  I have 2 in the back, one in the side door, one on my processor, and 2 on my card. Don't know how to trouble shoot heat sync issues... 

I apologize that I don't understand the language.  Just reaching for anything I can still look at.  I have access to 3 19" monitors I am considering hooking up to do the 3 screen thing.  Going to need to resolve this issue I am having before I do anything though. 

Sound card issue...  Drivers appear to be updated.  One deactivated and should only be running on one card right now. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks again! 
DCS:
SlipKnoT

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 02:06:15 PM »
You can always run DXDIAG to tell what DirectX is seeing in the computer, as far as multiple sound cards go.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese