Author Topic: Engine Ressurection(s)?  (Read 803 times)

Offline Phoenix3107

• Copper Member
Engine Ressurection(s)?
« on: January 09, 2015, 09:11:43 PM »
Has there been any pilot, WW1 or after, that got their engines shot out or heavily damaged during combat, and somehow managed to bring their engines cling to life once again to get their driver(s) back home? Sounds a bit crazy, but also seems possible if they know what they're in for.
GameID:Phoenix

Also can be found under my DA name
"Lonewolf32097" at www.deviantart.com.

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
Re: Engine Ressurection(s)?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 12:08:25 PM »
As far as combat damage, not that I know.  But running out of fuel on certain fuel tanks happened quite a bit.  As well as not clearing the plugs of fouling during long range P-38 missions in the ETO.  Both of these situations were reversible. 
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 05:13:54 PM »
I've heard stories of P-47's having cylinders shot off and still making it back home.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 02:54:23 PM »
I'd say that once the damage causes the engine to shut down it won't start again. I've only read of instances that once the engine was damaged, by reducing the load the pilot has managed to bring the aircraft home or over the front line for a safe ditch.

E.g. When the oil cooler is hit in 109 it is possible to fly the plane for some time before it grinds to a halt and the pilots usually flew with light load since the seizure in full engine load could cause a catastrophic explosion.

If this is a way to suggest that AH could have a more advanced damage model I definitely agree.  :D

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."