Author Topic: Positive thoughts on Aces High  (Read 1971 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Positive thoughts on Aces High
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 01:42:48 PM »
But it is probably cheaper to buy it by the case and drink it at home...

A case a night is not cheaper than one at the local bar... Just sayin... :D

You know when finns speak on vox and people complain that they can't understand the cryptic finnish... They're actually just so drunk that their english sounds like that!
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 01:12:52 PM »
Positives IMO in point form

- Extremely solid foundation dating back over 15 years now.

- Exceptionally positive phone customer service (somewhat of a paradox compared to some of the occasional  hostility/frustration on the bbs at times, but that said, easily among the best or the very best of any gaming company I've ever had telecoms with).

- Staying power.  Again, that whole 15 years thing.

- Despite all of the things that many think could improve the game not being implemented or even entertained, I always have fun every single time I play.  Still.  I can't think of anything that truly drives me to frustration when playing vis a vis the game itself.

- A singular experience.  This goes back to point number 1.  Having created the genre post AW (I'm talking about WB), HT and his crew made 2 large evolutionary jumps froward in the genre of MMO gaming, having really invented it in many ways.  The first IMO was the jump from WB to AH, and the 2nd was from AH1 to AH2 or whatever you want to call what we play now.  Hopefully the long, long wait for jump 3 (it's been over a decade in coming IMO) will be as positive and entertaining as the first 2 leaps forward were.

- The community.  I've played a lot of online games, like many here, and I've never seen a place like this before, with acquaintances that have stayed in touch for what will be closing in on 2 decades in just a few short years.  Guys you like, love, dislike, and even hate - it all makes it worth sticking around IMO.  I've never seen another game where such respect is shown for fallen members, in the form of both forum threads as well as in game memorial flights and the like.

- The cost.  When the game first went live with subscription, it was 29.95$ USD, and back then, due to the strength of the US dollar to the Canadian one, the cost was anywhere from 49$ to 52$ depending on the bank charts, which resulted in large amounts of wife ack, considering early cable and dsl service was around 55$ back then, resulting in a 100$ a month cost just to play.  Arguments that WB and AW had cost 300$ in past years just didn't act as a strong argument as I thought it would, trying to suppress the wife ack with a SEAD mission of comparison to past higher prices.  Then came the "test", which brought about one of the first really nasty forum battles, but turned out to be the best thing for every customer, as the 14.95$ price decrease was the end result.  It was, and still is, an extremely good deal, even considering it's been the exact same game really for the last 4 years or so - I'm happy to pay 15$ for the same deal, as are many others.  

- Hope for the future.  One of the major reasons I've stuck around is that some new stuff is on the horizon.  I know many others have a similar outlook in this regard.  I'm very hopeful that some game adjustments and improvements coming in the new version/beta/etc will help HTC with the as stated need for new players to flow in, and hopefully many of these "new" players will be old ones as well, coming out of the woodwork.  It should be quite the reunion.  Some 500 and 600 player nights with a new update will be just the ticket to quash any of the current misgivings that pop up here on the forum.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:15:29 PM by Gman »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 12:13:55 PM »
positive is I dont really care if I fight or not.  there's always someobody that will say hi to me no matter what.  it's about making friends, some of whom I have had for years, some others are gone but they still live with us.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 01:52:33 AM »
Between the 25 ENY in late war and skuzzy assuring me that this guy is "just a foreignor" it's best not to ask this question in front of me for a while.

67 hours of flight in 7 days in bombers alone, yet damage kills and every other thing is ZERO.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:07:36 AM by Rob52240 »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 03:57:02 AM »
We are not allowed to bring up the obvious, debate the unpublished, or question the never explained.
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 04:17:23 AM »
Between the 25 ENY in late war and skuzzy assuring me that this guy is "just a foreignor" it's best not to ask this question in front of me for a while.

67 hours of flight in 7 days in bombers alone, yet damage kills and every other thing is ZERO.

(Image removed from quote.)

8 hours per bomber sortie... that's some fuel economy  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 10:15:31 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Once again Rob, I thank you for your positive thoughts.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »
8 hours per bomber sortie... that's some fuel economy  :old:

Drive an m3 within icon distance of this friendly and you're dead.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 01:09:14 AM »
so he just lies there and does nothing.  sounds like my last gf.

semp

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 05:02:57 AM »
so he just lies there and does nothing.  sounds like my last gf.

semp

Huh? I married your girlfriend?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »
Huh? I married your girlfriend?

look on the bright side, she's with you now and not with me :).

semp

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 07:34:09 PM »
Positives IMO in point form

- Extremely solid foundation dating back over 15 years now.

- Exceptionally positive phone customer service (somewhat of a paradox compared to some of the occasional  hostility/frustration on the bbs at times, but that said, easily among the best or the very best of any gaming company I've ever had telecoms with).

- Staying power.  Again, that whole 15 years thing.

- Despite all of the things that many think could improve the game not being implemented or even entertained, I always have fun every single time I play.  Still.  I can't think of anything that truly drives me to frustration when playing vis a vis the game itself.

- A singular experience.  This goes back to point number 1.  Having created the genre post AW (I'm talking about WB), HT and his crew made 2 large evolutionary jumps froward in the genre of MMO gaming, having really invented it in many ways.  The first IMO was the jump from WB to AH, and the 2nd was from AH1 to AH2 or whatever you want to call what we play now.  Hopefully the long, long wait for jump 3 (it's been over a decade in coming IMO) will be as positive and entertaining as the first 2 leaps forward were.

- The community.  I've played a lot of online games, like many here, and I've never seen a place like this before, with acquaintances that have stayed in touch for what will be closing in on 2 decades in just a few short years.  Guys you like, love, dislike, and even hate - it all makes it worth sticking around IMO.  I've never seen another game where such respect is shown for fallen members, in the form of both forum threads as well as in game memorial flights and the like.

- The cost.  When the game first went live with subscription, it was 29.95$ USD, and back then, due to the strength of the US dollar to the Canadian one, the cost was anywhere from 49$ to 52$ depending on the bank charts, which resulted in large amounts of wife ack, considering early cable and dsl service was around 55$ back then, resulting in a 100$ a month cost just to play.  Arguments that WB and AW had cost 300$ in past years just didn't act as a strong argument as I thought it would, trying to suppress the wife ack with a SEAD mission of comparison to past higher prices.  Then came the "test", which brought about one of the first really nasty forum battles, but turned out to be the best thing for every customer, as the 14.95$ price decrease was the end result.  It was, and still is, an extremely good deal, even considering it's been the exact same game really for the last 4 years or so - I'm happy to pay 15$ for the same deal, as are many others.  

- Hope for the future.  One of the major reasons I've stuck around is that some new stuff is on the horizon.  I know many others have a similar outlook in this regard.  I'm very hopeful that some game adjustments and improvements coming in the new version/beta/etc will help HTC with the as stated need for new players to flow in, and hopefully many of these "new" players will be old ones as well, coming out of the woodwork.  It should be quite the reunion.  Some 500 and 600 player nights with a new update will be just the ticket to quash any of the current misgivings that pop up here on the forum.

well put, Gman  :aok

LtngRydr
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:35:47 PM by Lab Rat 3947 »
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 12:20:32 AM »
You want a positive thought about AH? OK. Being disabled and not able to get out of my house much, with more problems that I care to mention. AH is about the only thing that keeps me from ending it. I don't fly well, but I do my share in AvA. This is without question the most fun I have ever had in an online game. I just love the game ! That's all.
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.