Author Topic: throttle management in stall fight  (Read 1859 times)

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
throttle management in stall fight
« on: January 18, 2015, 05:15:47 AM »
Hello.

Could someone knowledgeable explain throttle management in stall fight. What is the time to reduce it and when to WEP?
Looking at http://youtu.be/x58LKF23ftw by skyyr it seems counter-intuitive for me to reduce throttle when flying low with full flaps down. You already at low speed and flaps inducing huge drag slowing plane down even more...
AH: impulse9

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: throttle management in stall fight
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 06:19:06 AM »
Generally in a stall fight you reduce throttle to manage torque.  This helps you control where your nose is pointing as you stall and lose stability.
You can also reduce it to help you slow down.

WEP increases thrust so you use it to improve turning, climbing, and accelerating. You can also use it to increase torque.
Since you run out of WEP you should turn it off when you don't need it.

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 04:40:22 PM »
Thanks!

So basically the pattern is: if I just turning with opponent it is best to WEP and reduce throttle when doing scissors, forcing/preventing overshoots etc. Right?

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 05:01:25 PM »
Thanks!

So basically the pattern is: if I just turning with opponent it is best to WEP and reduce throttle when doing scissors, forcing/preventing overshoots etc. Right?

Hit me up ingame and I'll show you, or just PM me. I'll work on it with you.

-=S=-
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 05:10:05 PM »
Hit me up ingame and I'll show you, or just PM me. I'll work on it with you.

-=S=-

Thank you very much. It would be great. But I afraid we're in very different time zones. Mine is GMT+4.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:30:23 AM »
The idea is to maintain within a speed range that will maximize your maneuverability. Get too fast and your turn rate will decrease and your turn radius will increase. This isn't good when fighting someone better managing their speed. The short of it is you have to factor in gravity when flying WW2 planes. They won't accelerate going up but they certainly do going down! You want to retard throttle and/or add flaps or skid a little going downhill and bump throttle and clean up flaps going up. There is no set amount of flaps or speed as each plane flies differently, but that method will hold across them all. Not a very detailed answer but that's the general idea.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »
Thanks!

Don't reduce throttle unless you gain something by it. If you're going to lose energy it's best to trade it for turn rate or altitude if you have the choice.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:36:20 AM »
Don't reduce throttle unless you gain something by it. If you're going to lose energy it's best to trade it for turn rate or altitude if you have the choice.
I am glad i saw this post!! I too had confusion about throttle and torque! Well more of a how do you get them to work for you?
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 01:49:29 PM »
The reason you don't necessarily want the throttle firewalled near stall speed is because it can cause you to lose control.  While I'm sure there's all kinds of aeronautical terms for the forces at work, the way I look at it is simple- When you're close to stalling, there comes a point where the torque of the engine gets closer and closer to overpowering the lifting forces of the wings, causing the plane to flip over in a snap roll.  Turning a 190 at low speed will show you this really quickly.

The reason I roll back a bit on the throttle when it gets close to that point is to stop the snap roll while not cutting throttle completely.  The rough idea is to throttle back juuuuust enough so it doesn't snap roll.  I still maintain control of the aircraft and still am gaining speed, once it gets going a little faster I can firewall the throttle again.  It's a matter of familiarity with the plane you're flying, but once you see it it opens up a lot of possibilities for refinement of maneuvers.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 02:16:32 PM »
I don't think the torque overcomes the roll stability until the wings stall. If one wing stalls first that will also roll you.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:46:51 PM by FLS »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 02:44:33 PM »
I don't think the torque overcomes the roll stability until the wings stall. If one wing stalls first that will also roll you.

There might be another aerodynamic explanation for it, but that's what it 'feels' like to me.  Turning, close to stall speed, that left wing starts to dip.  If all I do is reduce throttle, the plane stays under control as I come around.  If I don't change anything, snap roll.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 02:47:10 PM »
When you turn you are limited by drag which is opposed by thrust. Reducing thrust near the stall in a slow speed turn reduces turn performance.
I think you're better off with WEP and staying on the edge of stall buffet.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:49:00 PM by FLS »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 03:44:51 PM »
I think you're better off with WEP and staying on the edge of stall buffet.

Ah.  I see where the difference comes in.  I was looking at it in terms of things having gone wrong, and you've gotten too slow.  Ideally, I agree wholeheartedly with this advice.

A slight slacking off on the throttle can allow you to 'catch' yourself before you go out of control, is all I was saying.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 04:20:46 PM »
Keep in mind you stall at the critical angle of attack. You control AOA with pitch. The best way to catch yourself is to ease your pull.

Throttle control for yaw and roll control is generally post stall.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:30:21 PM by FLS »

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 04:36:44 PM »
AH! That makes sense! I usually flop over to the left in 190s at slow speed when trying to keep a left hard turn,WING stall! I assume its the right wing that stalls? So rolling back to the right slightly at slightest buffet would be correct? If I push more throttle at this same time though , does the torque keep me in a hard turn without stalling right wing? Or just enough throttle to maintain close too same turn angle but not too much as to over turn right wing? I know what I am trying to say,just not sure of proper terms :rolleyes: Now what will rudder do to help in this situation? none, slight left with turn or right to keep left wing from dipping as much. Maybe flaps? But that's where I am unsure, flaps usually just make the stall quicker thus more throttle and in tower real fast :bhead
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain