Author Topic: What is Going on these days?  (Read 7169 times)

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
Re: What is Going on these days?
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 04:41:34 PM »
This same argument happened in the FA forums. Involving the same antagonist.....he is totally unchanged after all these years. His opinion won't change, and most people will get bored flying his style. If they don't, they'll eventually leave, because the rest of us are "too easy".
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 04:43:38 PM »
If it sounds like heaven then why aren't you still playing at Warbirds or FA where there are only a few guys BnZin each left?

Again, your point of view is the only one that matters. Latrobe who has been here for years couldn't possibly know what he is talking about, nor could Junky. Who are these clowns? So obviously the OP couldn't know what he's talking about as you can't find him on the score page.

I believe you have completely missed the point of the posts. What was posted, that in this big old sand box it no longer lends it self to turning and burn/knife fights like we had years ago, and that were for the most part the norm. We, well I'm not complaining, just stating a fact.

A few years ago it was hordes. Those have been easing up but I think that is more due to the general numbers being lower. The "new thing" is these guys who think being at the top of the score board is cool. What ever, this too shall pass. The point is that while everyone says "the game hasn't changed!" explain why we can't hit 300 players on a good night any more instead of the 1000 players we were poking at a few years ago? Something has changed.

Good old knock down drag out fights are pretty much history in this game where it use to be an all night affair. We use to log back in the next day only to find half the guys we were flying with the night before were still at it .... and only a little bit more drunk. Not any more. You log off for some dinner and when you come back it's whole new crew. There is a lot less combat in this game which is sad as it is suppose to be a combat game.

Sitting up on your perch, diving down and picking guy after guy isn't fighting, it's picking. It takes little skill and a half decent aim. Taking bases with 30-40 players isn't fighting, it takes very little skill and just a wiliness to die a lot. I'm not telling anyone how to play the game, and never have, I'm just pointing out how much of the game they are missing. It's like playing poker where all the cards are dealt face-up on the board. No skill, no challenge.

The OP has some points, whether you agree with them or not doesn't really matter. He felt he needed to get it off his chest. He remembers the game a bit differently, as many do....or so it seems. The point is the game has to change. Many see it it on the edge of extinction, not only here, but you hear it in the game as well. Numbers continue to drop. New players are chased away by loudmouths on 200 or on their own country channel and yes even directly on private channels. Something has got to be done, if not what we have WILL continue in the slide it IS in. If everything was "OK" the numbers wouldn't be dropping, they would at least stay stable.

You seem to correlate a energy fighting flight style with a lack of skill. I need not remind you our last several encounters where you attacked me from a disadvantage, one time even 1v3 on the deck. How did that end again? ;)

The point here is that energy fighting is not a lack of skill, rather it readily makes apparent the deficiencies in other pilots' lack of skills. You, on the other hand, seem to make some sort of Freudian connection with gameplay tactics vs. overall player satisfaction in a world-wide sense.

My opinion isn't the only one that matters, but I can also count on one hand the number of players I've encountered in the 12 months I've been here that actually understand air combat tactics outside of Aces High (I'm sure there's more that are here, but the low number I've seen is indicative of a general lack of awareness overall). When the average player here is too busy whining and posting about a front-quarter shot, that speaks volumes to the experience said player has in the genre of WWII air combat games. Go to any other sim and see what tactics are in use. You'll find, to a "T", the majority of experienced players will use the tactics I outlined above. That is where my opinion comes from, and it is readily validated by ACM and the genre as a whole.

"Sitting up on your perch and picking someone," to quote you, is killing them. You decry gaming tactics, yet you fail to realize your entire classification of the term "pick" is purely a gaming aspect. In air combat, it doesn't matter where you were shot or what tactic your opponent used - you were simply shot down. The same applies here - being shot down is being shot down. Any other attempt to call it anything else is this: an excuse to validate your playstyle.

"Good old knock down, drag out fights" - this is a term for two pilots who are screwing up, each trying to screw up less than the other. You highlight this as if it's the epitome of air combat, when in reality it's the very thing that ACM was invented to prevent. The goal of offensive ACM is to shoot down your opponent as quickly as possible. If you cannot shoot down your opponent as quickly as possible, then you're doing something wrong when it comes to ACM. And that's fine, you might enjoy that; however, to decry others who don't do things wrong is, yet again, an excuse.

I'd be more than happy to take you to the DA and show you first hand that it wouldn't matter if I had alt on you or not - the fights would proceed the same way. This is because energy fighting doesn't require altitude, and it can handle turnfighting 1v1 just fine. If you were interested in learning the truth, you'd accept; however, I doubt you will (and I doubt most would) because it's easier to believe in a romantic notion of what works than in your actual performance. Just ask Lazer.

I've played several flight sims, and all of them go the same way. This one is no different.

-=S=-
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:59:56 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2015, 04:47:19 PM »
This same argument happened in the FA forums. Involving the same antagonist.....he is totally unchanged after all these years.

And what was my dueling record in FA? 382 - 6. Somewhere along the way, you'd think people would realize that there's some truth to what's being said. Either way, I'm content to simply continue with shooting you down (great fights the other night ;)).

-=S=-
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2015, 04:58:07 PM »
Do any of you guys remember this old AH trailer? Think it was on the History Channel or something.....its from "Back in the day"   :aok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emF-m9qnF5o
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2015, 04:59:54 PM »
Do any of you guys remember this old AH trailer? Think it was on the History Channel or something.....its from "Back in the day"   :aok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emF-m9qnF5o

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2015, 05:03:38 PM »
If I am fighting someone because I hate them, why would I bother doing anything else than killing them as quickly as possible? If I hate them, I want them shot down. They aren't worth spending any additional time on. It's not that hard of a concept; it's completely intuitive.

This says a lot, Skyyr.

I actually *like* people by default, and *hope* they enjoy fighting me.

I don't want to try to psychoanalyze you, but military thinking shouldn't translate to real life, unless you're in an actual war.

Simon

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2015, 05:05:48 PM »
This says a lot, Skyyr.

I actually *like* people by default, and *hope* they enjoy fighting me.

I don't want to try to psychoanalyze you, but military thinking shouldn't translate to real life, unless you're in an actual war.

Simon

I didn't say I hated them, Copprhed did. He used the example that he "hated" someone. I simply pointed out that, if he indeed hated someone, why would you do anything other than kill them as quickly as possible?
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2015, 05:11:03 PM »
If I am fighting someone because I hate them (to quote you and your words, in your example), why would I bother doing anything else than killing them as quickly as possible? If I hate them, I want them shot down. They aren't worth spending any additional time on. It's not that hard of a concept; it's completely intuitive.

What's not intuitive is your concept of trying to make a challenge where there's not one. If my opponent does not offer me a challenge, that's not my fault, nor am I going to try to make the fight challenging. I'm there to beat him, not have fun with him. If he's not a challenge, it only means he's a poor opponent. My goal is to beat him as quickly as possible according to the rules that are in place at the time of the fight.

Dude, What is wrong with you?  You should ask your doctor for zoloft or prozac
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2015, 05:16:12 PM »
Dude, What is wrong with you?  You should ask your doctor for zoloft or prozac

I wasn't the one that said it - you may want to re-read. Perhaps you should prescribe that to Copprhed.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2015, 05:16:27 PM »
Yes, and by your own definition you fly in a hateful way.

For most in this game, and much like life, it's not where you end up, but how you got there.

Your attitude is great for the military, or perhaps professional sports, but not in a video game IMO.

Simon

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2015, 05:19:13 PM »
Yes, and by your own definition you fly in a hateful way.

Not true. Shooting someone down efficiently is not mutually exclusive to hating them. I might shoot someone down as quickly as possible because there's another enemy 6k out heading my way. Just because I shot them down using the same methodology doesn't mean I "hate" them at all.

Your attitude is great for the military

Yeah, it served me well there.

-=S=-
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
Not true. Shooting someone down efficiently is not mutually exclusive to hating them. I might shoot someone down as quickly as possible because there's another enemy 6k out heading my way. Just because I shot them down using the same methodology doesn't mean I "hate" them at all.

Yeah, it served me well there.

-=S=-

Skyyr, I think you're missing my point.

You conduct yourself in the exact same way as if you despise everyone that's "red". Whether you actually do or not isn't relevant, because it affects others the same way.

Try not to forget that one day you're going to need to adjust to becoming a civi again... lol.

<S>

Simon

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2015, 05:36:20 PM »
Try not to forget that one day you're going to need to adjust to becoming a civi again... lol.

lol - well played.

I think you highlighted a good point, however.

You conduct yourself in the exact same way as if you despise everyone that's "red". Whether you actually do or not isn't relevant, because it affects others the same way.

This is entirely true with what I've observed... and the foundation for most of the hypocrisy we've encountered. People are somehow inevitably "insulted" when we e-fight them, rope them, shoot them in front-quarter, etc., just as you pointed out. For us, we're simply killing them in the way that's most efficient, because that's what fun to us. People then get offended and write tirades and criticisms about how we fly... and then accuse us of needing some sort of psychological help (see the last 10 replies to this thread as evidence). We then point out, objectively, that they're dead and we are not. And thus starts the whining that is present in this very thread. Who then, is the actual aggressor? Certainly not us, nor energy fighters in general.

We don't require that people adapt to our flight style, nor are we offended when we get shot down. Sure, we might tease or poke fun, but we readily accept we got ourselves shot down.

Yet again, this is the hypocrisy that's so prevalent in this game.... as seen from post #1. Everyone wants people to fly their way, with no accountability to the fact they're responsible for their own outcomes.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:37:55 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2015, 05:50:25 PM »

This is entirely true with what I've observed... and the foundation for most of the hypocrisy we've encountered. People are somehow inevitably "insulted" when we e-fight them, rope them, shoot them in front-quarter, etc., just as you pointed out. For us, we're simply killing them in the way that's most efficient, because that's what fun to us. People then get offended and write tirades and criticisms about how we fly... and then accuse us of needing some sort of psychological help (see the last 10 replies to this thread as evidence). We then point out, objectively, that they're dead and we are not. And thus starts the whining that is present in this very thread. Who then, is the actual aggressor? Certainly not us, nor energy fighters in general.

We don't require that people adapt to our flight style, nor are we offended when we get shot down. Sure, we might tease or poke fun, but we readily accept we got ourselves shot down.

Yet again, this is the hypocrisy that's so prevalent in this game.... as seen from post #1. Everyone wants people to fly their way, with no accountability to the fact they're responsible for their own outcomes.
Nope, it's just because you're a dick.

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2015, 06:07:45 PM »
lol - well played.

I think you highlighted a good point, however.

You've just boiled it down to the fact that you like to play your way, not matter how if affects others.

When you fly for "outcome", you are in direct conflict with the people that fly for everything leading up to the outcome. Since your play affects them, but not vice-versa, the implication is that it is you who should change. To refuse to adapt seems unreasonable to me, whether you think your system is better, or objective more valid, or not.

I fully respect your $14.95 and entitlement to play this game however you'd like. However I hope you understand that when you impact other people's enjoyment in order to reach your personal objectives, you are doing a disservice to the game and should expect criticism.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:57:17 PM by Simon »