Author Topic: p51 zoom climb  (Read 3990 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: p51 zoom climb
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2015, 03:29:35 PM »
Please show me where I said that engine performance didn't matter, or that I mentioned the words "engine" or "throttle" prior to you bringing it up. I didn't.

WHAT? you still keeping to the line that climb performance does NOTHING to effect zoom, or are you just trying to change the subject?

HiTech

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
WHAT? you still keeping to the line that climb performance does NOTHING to effect zoom, or are you just trying to change the subject?

HiTech

Again, you misunderstood the original statement. My previously reply outlined it as clearly as I know how to.

Differences in climb performance between WWII fighters (as in the net climb performance of each aircraft compared to another) don't have any major effect on their zoom climb results. The results posted backed this up. If that statement was false, the results would not have confirmed it.

My statement was the equivalent of stating that a T/W ratio of .5 is virtually the same and therefore indistinguishable in results when compared against a T/W of .49 or .47 in a zoom climb. You're coming in and stating that if you arbitrarily drop T/W to 0.0, my statement doesn't hold up. Nowhere did I suggest that T/W didn't affect aircraft performance, and that's a red herring. We were (and are) talking about relative differences between different aircraft in the same configuation, not absolute differences between different configurations of the same aircraft. You seem to be focusing on the latter.

I never said thrust or engine performance didn't affect zoom climb. I said that "most planes will zoom climb the same" and that any apparent advantages one has over another in a zoom climb are not due to differences in climb performance.

When a D9 matches and/or beats a K4 in a zoom climb (which it can), it has virtually nothing to do with the measured climb performance of the D9, as it's actually less than the K4's and it has a lower T/W ratio.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:06:56 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2015, 04:47:57 PM »
Again, you misunderstood the original statement. My previously reply outlined it as clearly as I know how to.

Differences in climb performance between WWII fighters (as in the net climb performance of each aircraft compared to another) don't have any major effect on their zoom climb results. The results posted backed this up. If that statement was false, the results would not have confirmed it.

I understand perfectly that you are simply trying to save face by purposely trying to cloud the issue by changing the topic.

Why in the above statement did you change the word NOTHING (your original claim ) to "don't have any major effect"? Because those two words/phrases are not even remotely similar.

HiTech

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2015, 04:52:33 PM »
I understand perfectly that you are simply trying to save face by purposely trying to cloud the issue by changing the topic.

Why in the above statement did you change the word NOTHING (your original claim ) to "don't have any major effect"? Because those two words/phrases are not even remotely similar.

HiTech

I'm not trying to save face at all. The results posted by Poison showed my statement to be correct, ergo there's nothing for me to save. Even Canspec understood the context of my initial statement.

If I was wrong, then the planes with the highest T/W ratios would have the best zoom climbs. In many cases, the exact opposite is true. My statement is fully correct in terms of comparing zoom climb performance between two aircraft in similar configurations... which is precisely what the OP started this thread over.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:01:38 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2015, 05:00:02 PM »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2015, 05:09:37 PM »
I'm not trying to save face at all. The results posted by Poison showed my statement to be correct, ergo there's nothing for me to save. Even Canspec understood the context of my initial statement.

If I was wrong, then the planes with the highest T/W ratios would have the best zoom climbs. In many cases, the exact opposite is true. My statement is fully correct in terms of comparing zoom climb performance between two aircraft in similar configurations... which is precisely what the OP started this thread over.

word NOTHING (your original claim ) to "don't have any major effect"

So which of your statements (NOTHING or MAJOR) is correct and which one is wrong? Because the both can not be correct. I will not even begin to get into the problems in your above quoted reasoning. Because your simple statement of T/W ratio is completely meaningless with regards to prop driven planes because thrust varies with speed and hence with out other parameters T/W is meaningless .

HiTech

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2015, 05:35:42 PM »
So which of your statements (NOTHING or MAJOR) is correct and which one is wrong? Because the both can not be correct. I will not even begin to get into the problems in your above quoted reasoning. Because your simple statement of T/W ratio is completely meaningless with regards to prop driven planes because thrust varies with speed and hence with out other parameters T/W is meaningless .

HiTech

Here's my original statement:

Most planes will perform a zoom (ballistic) climb the same. There's virtually no difference. Any differences that are present have nothing to do with climb performance.

Climb performance, as I'm sure you're aware, is the sustained rate of climb (or RoC) that can be achieved for a given flight configuration. RoC, then, which is how we determine climb performance, and it is defined as the following:

"In aeronautics, the rate of climb (RoC) is an aircraft's vertical speed – the rate of change in altitude. In most ICAO member countries (even in otherwise metric countries), this is usually expressed in feet per minute (ft/min)."

Forgive me for quoting wikipedia, as my training materials are at home at the moment. However, the definition is correct.

Climb performance, then, can be summarized, or represented by RoC. My statement, logically, becomes:

Performance in a zoom climb has nothing to do with rate of climb.

This statement is correct.

You then brought up throttle settings, and I understand why - climb performance is chiefly dependent upon throttle setting, and adjusting the throttle setting would also affect zoom climb performance; however, climb performance is not synonymous with throttle setting. Otherwise, any plane at 100% throttle could be assumed to have the same climb performance as any other plane at 100% throttle. No, actual climb performance is based on multiple factors, such as throttle, flap settings, etc. I simply acknowledged where you were coming from, even though it's technically not the same subject nor are we discussing it.

The only reason I adjusted my wording is to account for outliers, as I mentioned in my second reply, such as the Me 163. Now, zoom climb might be dependent upon climb performance configuration settings, but yet again, this is not the same thing as the definition for "climb performance."

Again, the statement remains correct.

This was never about aerodynamic debates, it was about functional air combat rules. My initial reply still remains the same and unchanged: an aircraft's zoom climb performance has nothing to do with its sustained climb performance. The two are unrelated. This was understood apparently by the majority of the other posters here, and Poison and Canspec both readily understood the context of the statement. This is entirely what I meant from the beginning.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:05:35 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2015, 05:37:11 PM »

HiTech

Dale,

But, but, but....that's what Shaw said on page 313 of Fighter Combat!!!  It must be right!!!!!!   
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 05:43:59 PM »
Oh MAN things are going to be INterestig at the home office when Skuzzy has to lock THIS one...

That Clarkson pic was the first thing I pictured too with ray hangin his head out the cockpit lmao

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 06:03:48 PM »
Dale :ahand skyyr
 :rofl

UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Slamfire

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2015, 06:10:25 PM »
Most planes will perform a zoom (ballistic) climb the same. There's virtually no difference. Any differences that are present have nothing to do with climb performance.

Aye, this statement is true.

Provided said climb takes place in a vacuum, such as the one found in thine intracranial void.

Yours in excellence,

Gen. Slamfire
Air Chief Marshal, Elite Top Aces.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:31:37 PM by Slamfire »
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Chief Marshal, Elite Top Aces

Offline Slamfire

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2015, 06:13:04 PM »
We're talking in-game performance. Real life is a different story. In AH, there are many more factors, such as torque modeling, that affect functional climb rates. There's always outliers (e.g. Me 163), but you can hold this true as an overall rule of thumb.

For example, if we're trying to argue that X aircraft gains an overly-generous 800yds (2400ft) altitude difference in zoom climb over Y aircraft, most neglect that 800yds is still well within guns range and you're going to get shot by the guy you're trying to out-zoom climb. And that's an extreme example, most perform well within 1000ft of vertical climb distance of each other.

For all intents and purposes, it doesn't matter much when comparing two aircraft zoom-climbing at the same speed. That is the context of the original statement.

What matters most is low drag / higher aspect wing ratio. This equates to a decent amount of maneuverability, with much less induced drag. This allows the pilot to go from varying climb angles and avoid the opponent climbing to them, while retaining enough E advantage to continue zoom climbing.

Thou art punching far above thy weight.

Yours in excellence,

Gen. Slamfire
Air Chief Marshal, Elite Top Aces

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2015, 06:14:48 PM »
Thou art punching far above thy weight.

Yours in excellence,

Gen. Slamfire

I wasn't aware punching was taking place. I thought we were having a logical, educated discussion.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Zoney