Author Topic: With the new update, what else can we expect?  (Read 5854 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: With the new update, what else can we expect?
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2015, 08:43:32 AM »
Nope.  Not an opinion during low number times.  I wish it was!!!

1. See action on map\dar - up a plane.
2. Get to location only to find no one there.
3. Repeat.

Better to engage a drone than nothing at for of many us.

...which makes it an opinion.  I'd rather do something else than kill AI fighters.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2015, 08:52:11 AM »
...which makes it an opinion.  I'd rather do something else than kill AI fighters.

Context is EVERYTHING.

That there are times when the are very low numbers and you cannot find action IS A FACT at this time.  :old:
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2015, 08:54:21 AM »
Context is EVERYTHING.

That there are times when the are very low numbers and you cannot find action IS A FACT at this time.  :old:

Yep.  And what I'm saying is, drone fighters are not a solution for everybody.  For some they're actually a problem.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
I will go play War Thunder for free..........

Before I Pay to fight AI.

The number One problem in AH right now is low player numbers. But do we see any commercials on TV, ads on the internet. How about a write up in PC Pilot Magazine? They talk about the IL-2 series, Rise of Flight and other combat flight sims all the time.......... but never AH.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2015, 10:18:35 AM »
I will go play War Thunder for free..........

Before I Pay to fight AI.

The number One problem in AH right now is low player numbers. But do we see any commercials on TV, ads on the internet. How about a write up in PC Pilot Magazine? They talk about the IL-2 series, Rise of Flight and other combat flight sims all the time.......... but never AH.

I have been mystified by this myself.  Aces High seems to be too often snubbed or go unnoticed by simming media.  I don't know why a flight sim that could at one time get 500+ all in one arena on a night would not be considered worthy of a lot of press and reviews, articles, etc.  Or take fan sites, like Simmers Paint Shop - they have a dedicated forum for Targetware, but nothing for AH!?   AH is an active flight sim that allows skinning contributions by the community - that has got to be right in Simmers Paint Shop's wheelhouse, and yet they have nothing related specifically to the AH community.  I don't get it.

Having said that, I think now is not the time for a media blitz to increase player numbers.  Might be better to wait until the new version is out and stable before spending resources trying to get a bunch of new subscribers.   I really hope the new terrains will be comparable to the best, most realistic terrains in War Thunder (some of WT's terrains are just fantasy world-like, IMO).    And I think its critical to get the AH1 models updated or out of the game until they can be brought up to the current standard.  I do not think the F4F cockpit, for example, makes a good impression of the AH at all - not for people who have seem DCS cockpits, War Thunder, etc.   But the newer plane models' cockpit art, like the Hurricane, absolutely look top-notch and compare favorably to the other, newer sims.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:02:25 AM by oboe »

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2015, 10:21:35 AM »
Nope.  Not an opinion during low number times.  I wish it was!!!

1. See action on map\dar - up a plane.
2. Get to location only to find no one there.
3. Repeat.

Better to engage a drone than nothing at for of many us.

January 12, 2015, 02:42:23 PM »

There is a place for AI in AH's future, but this place is not in the MA.

HiTech

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one Slade.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2015, 10:42:54 AM »
Those who hate on the prospect of AI in the game need to know that it's a lot more than just bot planes. Massive formations, structure, mission briefings radio chatter, sound effects, etc, etc to make it super immersive.

It's not meant for the any plane from any country at any time LW arena, but it can be a really cool experience when you can't find enough action in the MA.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2015, 11:13:08 AM »
Those who hate on the prospect of AI in the game need to know that it's a lot more than just bot planes. Massive formations, structure, mission briefings radio chatter, sound effects, etc, etc to make it super immersive.

It's not meant for the any plane from any country at any time LW arena, but it can be a really cool experience when you can't find enough action in the MA.

Jimson,

I know AI was used in the AvA arena - are you saying there was radio chatter and large formations, etc like that already?  Or is that what you envision AI to be in the future? The radio chatter and sound effects sound pretty cool to me.   

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2015, 11:14:47 AM »
regular missions with a purpose other than "overwhelm" could get me excited.  so much so, not much else matters.

that said many people are turned off by lack of success.  Success getting a field, success defending a map, success getting a kill, success getting a thrill, success living the dream.

I hope CT helps me get excited to play. I also hope we can get more people so everyone is happy.

:airplane:

ps except the knigits, they are a silly group who smells of elderberrys.  :old:

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2015, 11:47:35 AM »
Jimson,

I know AI was used in the AvA arena - are you saying there was radio chatter and large formations, etc like that already?  Or is that what you envision AI to be in the future? The radio chatter and sound effects sound pretty cool to me.    

We created some missions with these things. It's a capability that already exists.  I'm not certain these missions still work offline but here is one you could try to get an idea of some of the things that can be done. It has instructions so you can get the most out of it.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,364001.0.html
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:52:11 AM by jimson »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2015, 02:08:10 PM »
I have been mystified by this myself.  Aces High seems to be too often snubbed or go unnoticed by simming media.  I don't know why a flight sim that could at one time get 500+ all in one arena on a night would not be considered worthy of a lot of press and reviews, articles, etc.  Or take fan sites, like Simmers Paint Shop - they have a dedicated forum for Targetware, but nothing for AH!?   AH is an active flight sim that allows skinning contributions by the community - that has got to be right in Simmers Paint Shop's wheelhouse, and yet they have nothing related specifically to the AH community.  I don't get it.

Having said that, I think now is not the time for a media blitz to increase player numbers.  Might be better to wait until the new version is out and stable before spending resources trying to get a bunch of new subscribers.   I really hope the new terrains will be comparable to the best, most realistic terrains in War Thunder (some of WT's terrains are just fantasy world-like, IMO).    And I think its critical to get the AH1 models updated or out of the game until they can be brought up to the current standard.  I do not think the F4F cockpit, for example, makes a good impression of the AH at all - not for people who have seem DCS cockpits, War Thunder, etc.   But the newer plane models' cockpit art, like the Hurricane, absolutely look top-notch and compare favorably to the other, newer sims.

I may be WAY off base here. But I might guess those other games have deeper pockets with which to contribute to those publications for those write ups.

Only saying because my experiences have been that anything that can be corrupted. Usually gets corrupted. And its the only way I can think of to explain such positive reviews and write ups on products I know to be junk.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2015, 03:48:42 PM »
I may be WAY off base here. But I might guess those other games have deeper pockets with which to contribute to those publications for those write ups.

Only saying because my experiences have been that anything that can be corrupted. Usually gets corrupted. And its the only way I can think of to explain such positive reviews and write ups on products I know to be junk.

Too many. Periods.

Other than that I tend to agree.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2015, 06:41:25 AM »
Zoney, Wiley,

Help me understand something.  I think you guys obviously know something I dont and I stand to learn a lot from you.

Assuming that my employer will not change my hours...

If you are not into score, dont do milk runs and the like, i.e. play this game for flight combat: what do you do when 90% of the time that you have to play are low number times and you cannot find a fight?

EDIT: This was not always the case in this game.  Only more recently have the numbers during these times fallen as they have.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:02:33 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2015, 12:33:48 PM »
My position on AI vehicles: I'd rather fly around looking for a fight with a live person than wonder if my opponent is AI. The day I'm not sure if I'm fighting AI is the day I start looking for another game.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2015, 01:16:02 PM »

Yeah if my days of writing for outdoors publications are to be remembered Aces High isnt giving them enough free chit.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"