Author Topic: Any of you skinners wanna show the Yak-9T some love? A request...  (Read 884 times)

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
All the Rooskie tater-chunkers in game look so gray and... blah.

We have a gorgeous white Yak-7, and since Mother Russia is covered in snow so much of the year, we ought to have some winter dress for the other Yaks...

How about:

Forgive a link to a War Blunder skin, but this was well done

Don't think this is accurate, but
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Any of you skinners wanna show the Yak-9T some love? A request...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 09:18:23 PM »
All the Rooskie tater-chunkers in game look so gray and... blah.

We have a gorgeous white Yak-7, and since Mother Russia is covered in snow so much of the year, we ought to have some winter dress for the other Yaks...

How about:

(Image removed from quote.)

Forgive a link to a War Blunder skin, but this was well done

Don't think this is accurate, but

Questionable profile no known photo that I recall of this aircraft.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 05:46:17 AM »
I won't base a skin on just a profile, skin or model, particularly a Soviet one. A lot of skins in other games are based on out of date info or are just made up. AH skins have to have to be accurate and must be backed with decent source material, usually RL photos.

Profiles of Soviet aircraft are frequently inaccurate or are sometimes even total figments of the artist's imagination. During the Cold War it was hard for Western book authors to get good source material on Soviet WW2 stuff so sometimes artists just guessed WRT colours etc. Since the 80s though a lot more has become know about the subject in the West.

The Yak-9T entered service just before the VVS changed from their green/black scheme to their grey/grey one. During the early war years in winter the green and black aircraft were often whitewashed, but in the later years grey aircraft rarely were, if ever. Partly this was because there was a lot less chance of LW attacks on Soviet airfields during the later years of the war. Also the grey scheme worked well in the air during winter.

I've looked at a lot of photos of VVS aircraft and the only ones of the AH planeset I have seen in the winter scheme are the Yak-7, Il-2, I-16 and a few western types used by the Soviets. There is also a photo of an La-5FN in white, but it is a test example and not a front line aircraft.

If you can find a WW2 photo of a Yak-9T in white, I'd be glad to skin it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:21:45 AM by Greebo »

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 02:22:11 PM »
Questionable profile no known photo that I recall of this aircraft.

Yeh, that's what I was afraid of. I've looked and looked, but can't find photos.

I've seen tons of Yak-1'a, Mig3's, Lagg-3's, etc in winter dress (and various stages of undress as that white paint flaked/washed off.... but no Yak-9T.

I was hoping that one of you guys with a much more vast library of resources than my own would have some more info....

oh well.... back to being gray and plain. :)
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey