Author Topic: LED tv as a monitor  (Read 419 times)

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
LED tv as a monitor
« on: January 30, 2015, 05:01:59 PM »
I know folks do it, and it just so happens I have a 32" Insignia sitting behind me doing nothing.

All the specs on it are here: http://www.insigniaproducts.com/cms/documents/imp_info/NS-32E320A13_12-0119_%20IMP_INFO_V2_ENG_Final_lr.pdf

I am sure it would probably work, but will it work fairly well?   What connection would I want to be using between the card in my comp and the tv?   The tv has VGA, HDMI, and USB sockets.  From what I can deduct, I want to probably use the VGA, would that be correct?

If so I can just pull the plug on my current monitor and plug into the tv?

I see the response time is over 8, thought I read that below 10 is not terrible, but maybe I am wrong

Appreciate any input anyone can give.

Thanks
 :salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: LED tv as a monitor
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 05:03:42 PM »
If your video card has it, use the HDMI. Digital input is better than VGA

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 05:20:15 PM »
Vid card is a 970, so I got it   :)

Thanks Fugi  :aok

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 05:32:21 PM »
I notice the TV also has a DVI connection as an alternative to HDMI. They are both digital for video.
As for sound, your PC graphics card may need an audio connection for the TV sound to work on a HDMI setting. The DVI connection will be video only

If you can set the TV input to gaming that may help as well (providing the TV has that option.)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:15:13 AM »
I presume that DVI would be a better choice over HDMI because the audio of the video card will interfere gaming. Actually it's something that is not recommended to be installed at all unless your main purpose is to watch online videos having the sound coming from the tv speakers.

Another thing to consider is the input lag. Search for your model here: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag and here http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:24:19 AM »
I use the HDMI cable/connections. I also have any sound disabled on the video card so I don't get any sound data through the HDMI cable. I have a separate sound card that I use to my headset and desktop speakers.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »
I'm currently using a 32" LED TV as a monitor with an HDMI connection, and I love it!

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 09:09:50 PM »
I use a 39inch Westinghouse with hdmi, its awesome, I love it

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 12:21:39 AM »
I can post the same stuff here I posted in another thread:

Remember to be very careful if you consider a TV as your monitor. Make sure that your tv has a decent input lag rating. Many LG tv:s have 100+ millisecond input lags where some new Sony models are as low as 20 milliseconds. The best monitors can get up to 1.5-4 milliseconds.

Input lag is very nasty for fast games. You can't see it while you play but if you would put a fast monitor alongside of your lagging screen you would see how your screen lags visibly behind the other screen. While your aim is spot on on the fast screen, your slower screen is still not showing your aim is spot on but somewhere else - and if the enemy moves and you have to correct, you're again mercilessly behind the curve. Basically what it means is that fast moving targets are nearly impossible to hit using a lag screen.

You're going to feel like you suck at fps if you have a lagging screen and the players with fast screens pop headshots after another as aiming is that much easier for them.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone