Author Topic: Just how much of an advantage does Track IR bring?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Re: Just how much of an advantage does Track IR bring?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 02:04:19 PM »
I do have both the "pause" and "re-center" functions mapped to buttons on my controllers, and use them often, especially when making long-range shots.

YMMV

In AH mapping you can re-centre, but I have not found any mapping for "pause" which I can see would be very handy! The only way to do it in AH mapping seems to be to use two buttons, one for "off" and another for "pan" I wonder if this is an area where the AH mapping could be updated also having a trackir map for "snap" seems to defeat the purpose unless this is to work with other applications.

Edit:
As an afterthought could the mapping be changed from "off" to an "on/off" toggle which would be same as pause?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:17:26 PM by Blagard »

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »
trackIR gives no advantages at all beside freeing your thumb for other functions. What it does give is configuration headaches.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 04:56:16 PM »
In AH mapping you can re-centre, but I have not found any mapping for "pause" which I can see would be very handy! The only way to do it in AH mapping seems to be to use two buttons, one for "off" and another for "pan" I wonder if this is an area where the AH mapping could be updated also having a trackir map for "snap" seems to defeat the purpose unless this is to work with other applications.

Edit:
As an afterthought could the mapping be changed from "off" to an "on/off" toggle which would be same as pause?

In the trackIR software there are "hotkeys". you can use them to set the pause, center, and percision settings to a key on your stick/throttle/keyboard.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 05:10:33 PM »
In the trackIR software there are "hotkeys". you can use them to set the pause, center, and percision settings to a key on your stick/throttle/keyboard.

Ah! - Thanks, that's much better. I removed the assigned buttons in AH and set the "pause" in Trackir All good again! I did not realise that Trackir would let me do that for a stick button.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 05:38:21 PM »
What it does give is configuration headaches.

What headaches - I have not found any yet. Any initial issues I found have been overcome easily as I learn how to use it.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 10:58:11 PM »
Keep your hat views for now. You'll use them in combat by habit for a while. Also notice that with the hat view active TIR just moves your head position.

Set a little more deadband than you think you need so you can move your head a bit and still be centered. 

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2015, 08:15:11 AM »
Keep your hat views for now. You'll use them in combat by habit for a while.

I disagree with this.  Keeping hat views is just a crutch.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:35:13 AM by Randy1 »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 10:42:37 AM »
I disagree with this.  Keeping hat views is just a crutch.

That may be your experience but mine is different.

Keeping views mapped to the hat did not interfere with getting used to TIR, it made an easier transition.

Remapping the hat and hitting it out of habit when you need a rear view in combat could be a problem depending on the new mapping.
One might prefer to establish a new view habit prior to remapping.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2015, 02:56:44 PM »
I had my first outing with Trackir yesterday. I ended up going off line to disable my old hat views as I too frequently allowed my reactions to move the hat! With the hat now disabled I find I can focus more on getting the Trackir to work to my best advantage. Setting a dead band is a good idea and I will do that next. Also I have now set a button for precision as this has a similar effect of reducing the pan speed when you get excited near a kill!

All in all not an easy transition after so many years of using a Hat switch, I never knew how much the rest of me moved around until wearing the Trackir proclip. None the less ended the night on about evens of kills to deaths!

It is without doubt a great way to do the views, so I just need to co-ordinate better before I can really make the best of it.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2015, 06:53:40 PM »
Blagard, the only view I have deadband set up on the when looking forward - as it helps "snap" back to center for easier shooting. If you want a copy of my profile (or anyone else for that matter), ping me an email addy and I'll get it sent to ya.

Wont fly without my TIR - one of the best things I've bought for flight simming (I dont play any other games lol)

Wurz
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2015, 07:09:43 PM »
I have just been trying some tweaks and find that setting some dead band makes a huge difference in particular the Trackir X axis which is the sideways movement of your head. It is a natural movement I was making that moved my sights off to one side. Deadband on the pitch and yaw also helps and finally the precision setting dampens down the movement around the centre position. As I settle into using Trackir I can see myself gradually reducing the deadband. All in all I am very pleased with the amount you can tweak the configuration.

One downside for buff pilots is the external view does not work with Trackir (unless I am missing something) so either a hat or keypad needs to be used there as before.

Fortunately I also have an old Belkin Nostromo N50 that I can set up just for buff views and controls.

FLS /Randy1 Thanks for the tips

Edit:
gpwurzel, I agree and it is only the three axis I mentioned that I have any deadband on as they are the only ones that seem to affect my aiming at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:21:04 PM by Blagard »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2015, 08:15:11 PM »
If you want access to your hat views but you want them off while learning new habits you can copy mode 1 to mode 3, as an example,  and have hat views in one mode and nothing mapped to the hat in the other. Set a button to switch modes and use the hat when you need it. This will also help if you find yourself flying with TIR not working.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2015, 07:12:33 AM »
Go ahead and save your profile and copy it with a new name or a revision number so that you can experiment with setting with a backup if you go in the wrong direction.  Revision numbers give you a history link.

Experiment with steeper slopes on the curves and the speed slider as well. 

Watch the 3D heads on the Trackir display for good feedback.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2015, 10:14:58 AM »
I still use my views.  cant really use trakir in a tank for example.  and sometimes it's faster to for example quickly check your six while keeping trak of the con in front of you.

also trakir is not really usable while flying medium or heavy bombers or while gunning.  I mean you can use it but now while in f3 mode.

but it's in middle of furball that trakir really gives you the advantage.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2015, 08:40:27 PM »
Well, with the tweaks so far I would say the advantage is minor, however the enjoyment of the game is something else! - I am having great fun looking around in a near virtual reality way.

My forward dead bands and the precision setting definitely help. They keep the forward view nice and stable when aiming. If I have a problem it is that I use a button to re-centre that I used to use for "up" views with the hat stick. - end result is that I sometimes press it out of habit then have to quickly re-centre my view again! At least I am very much aware of it.

Of course it does not improve my aim, that will continue to suck!

I can see the idea of using a copy map and mode switch might work but I think it may be better to simply press on with what I have  set and tweak it now and then. i.e. use TIR all the time so it becomes a natural reaction with head and buttons, and not give myself excuses to use a hat switch. All in all, I have no regrets in getting it to date for the simple reason it adds pleasure in playing, You know, simply fun! Leaning over to one side and looking behind to check six may even be giving me some sort of a workout! Just moving your head a bit to see around the cockpit framing is great.