Author Topic: throttle management in stall fight  (Read 2024 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: throttle management in stall fight
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 05:36:42 PM »
AH! That makes sense! I usually flop over to the left in 190s at slow speed when trying to keep a left hard turn,WING stall! I assume its the right wing that stalls? So rolling back to the right slightly at slightest buffet would be correct? If I push more throttle at this same time though , does the torque keep me in a hard turn without stalling right wing? Or just enough throttle to maintain close too same turn angle but not too much as to over turn right wing? I know what I am trying to say,just not sure of proper terms :rolleyes: Now what will rudder do to help in this situation? none, slight left with turn or right to keep left wing from dipping as much. Maybe flaps? But that's where I am unsure, flaps usually just make the stall quicker thus more throttle and in tower real fast :bhead

You roll left when the left wing loses lift. The wing loses lift from angle of attack, the angle the wing meets the air, not from the angle of bank. To avoid stalling reduce your angle of attack by easing the stick forward.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »
OK so i was wrong with my thinking? In a left bank the stalling wing is the left wing? So its not torque of engine too the left but left wing stall. Push forward to decrease AOA,OK no problem,but that does reduce the turn also correct? I assume this is why you don't pull into a turn as much with flaps deployed as it causes wing stall due to increased AOA with the flaps?
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 04:09:05 PM »
If the left wing drops it's because there's no longer enough lift from the left wing to balance the lift from the right wing.

Easing up on the turn to avoid the stall will reduce the turn rate and radius but not as much as stalling will.

Flaps allow a higher AOA but you still stall at a critical AOA so you can pull to your max coefficient of lift in either case.

Your attitude is different with flaps out. Your nose is lower for a given AOA so it may seem that you stall sooner.

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 08:00:25 AM »
If you can, get some time in the Training Arena with a Trainer like Morfiend, it will help you a lot with understanding and developing your piloting skills. Lots of great advice for you in this post so far :airplane:
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 07:44:46 PM »
Yes lots of good stuff! Thanks to every body, it is very much appreciated.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain