Author Topic: What in these fights...  (Read 504 times)

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
What in these fights...
« on: April 08, 2015, 09:14:10 PM »
Did I do right and wrong?

I've recently been trying hard to get better in the 109F.

After a great fight in the MA, I PMed Pluto and asked if he wanted to go to the MA for some more good fights. We conversated, and after a good fight with Frenchy, ( Great Fight Frenchy  :salute ), We headed over.

After a few fights I had to go, but they were good and lasted quite a bit. I was wondering, what in these fights did I do correctly, so I can practice doing them more, and what did I do wrong, so I can avoid and improve it? Thanks!  :joystick:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/do6et91gv54ub4b/DA_time_109s.ahf

Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: What in these fights...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 03:55:39 AM »
Only watched the first fight. Will watch the rest later today hopefully.

What I could tell is you seem to not know or not understand how to use the lift vector properly. I have a thread in here somewhere that goes over lift vector in details and will look for it to post here but basically look straight up in your cockpit, that it our lift vector. What you want to do with you lift vector is place it behind your opponents tail in order to gain their 6. During the rolling scissors part of the fight though you were placing it ahead of your opponent in order to try and line up a shot I guess? This placement can work if you have a better turning plane in order to 'cut the corner', but in a same plane match-up or where you don't have the better turning plane then placing your lift vector in front of them is almost always a death wish.

Here's an example from your fight. See how you are flying towards the airspace in front of him? Your gunsight is in front of his plane. This is placing your lift vector in front of him and is what caused you to overshoot and let him onto your tail.

Here's what you wanted to do. Get your lift vector behind him, pointing your gunsight to the airspace behind him. This will deny him shots (or at the very least make shots more difficult for him), and keep you from overshooting while hopefully forcing an overshoot to gain his 6.

It seems to me that your biggest weakness (from the 1 fight I watched so far) is working with the vertical. When the fight got to the deck and went into a flat scissors fight you did noticeably better keeping from overshooting, denying shots, and eventually forcing an overshoot by pulling a well timed lead turn. If you haven't already heard of 'The Egg' then read up on it. It will significantly help your vertical fighting.

Here's that thread on lift vectors I did a while back.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,359053.msg4761802.html#msg4761802
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:57:16 AM by Latrobe »

Offline Pluto

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 02:40:43 AM »
Thanks again for joining me  :aok. It was fun. I would like to do it again sometime. If there's something everyone can learn from the film it is that if I'm presented with a shot you don't have too much to worry about.  :D

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 03:04:51 AM »
 First Fight, your merge pretty much gave him your six...if he didn't stall you would have dead much faster. I would have done a flatter turn, when you dipped your nose low all he had to do was a small high yo yo then follow you down(then he stalled a bit).

Second Fight, Your merge was better, he actually did what you did the first merge but a little later on.....you had him dead to rights, then you gave away your E advantage going into rolling scissors....should have gone vert, hammer head back down and bled him dry....was his fault he had no E, not yours...make him force you to come back to co E(which Pluto can, seen him in the MA)....you ended up with the W, sorry I don't give rights...I think we learn more from our wrongs.

Third Fight...didn't watch because Spit 14 guy makes me mad just watching

Last Fight....your merge did the same thing but only worse....put trails on, at one put he was almost identical, good recovery. I believe your having trouble viewing your opponent because some of your rolls/turns are opposite of what you should have done, think it was 24 40 where you went the complete opposite way and it gave him time to reset. "Lose sight, lose fight"

DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"