Author Topic: Beating a dead horse ?  (Read 13171 times)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: Beating a dead horse ?
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2015, 08:39:20 AM »
Why hasn't HTC bothered to pop into the arena settings and change the variable next to the HQ's toughness to a higher number?  Is it because of the system they have setup that has the maps reset and cycle that prevents them from making this change?
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2015, 10:03:22 AM »
  Reinforcing HQ would be more gamey;   imo bombing precision in AH is designed for WW3, gbu laser, gps guided ;
Any noob can hit a small tgt like  HQ bldg.,from 30k ,running max speed, fully loaded  if  can read the instructions from F6 bombing mode,  ;
Bombing precision  should exponentially  decrease with speed and alt;  shouldn't be able to open bomb bay door and bomb max speed from 300+mph;   I understand the box formations used to carpet bomb @ 150 mph;  Most  bombers fully loaded are untouchable  running max speed over 25k,, with max load; I doubt this was possible;
 same vs CVs, 99% are sunk by level bombing in game?  how many were sunk in WW2 by level bombing? why did they use dive bombers and torpedo bombers ?
this photo comes in my mind,Arnsberg viaduct , shows the precision of WW2 bombing;  1000s of bombs wasted before the grand slam was used;

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:16:06 AM by ghi »

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2015, 10:55:45 AM »
It's not so much the ease of destroying the HQ, but the effect that is the problem.  Why should one person yield the power to destroy the single most important target in the game?  The damage threshold should be increased, so that it takes 3 loaded sets of Lancs (or equivalent) to get the job done.

But then, the main problem still persists - darbars.  It seems like the only benefit to destroying an enemy HQ is that the opposing players either log off or have to spend their valuable game time resupplying and not in combat with other players (the whole purpose of the game).

The HQ getting destroyed should result in a significant benefit to the attacking force, but not one just to piss the other side off.

Suggestion for an alternative to the current loss of darbars:

HQ destruction results in all auto-acks (fields, towns, strats, CVs) disabled until HQ repaired.

This is my favorite option because it encourages the enemy to attack even more targets.  Everything will be more vulnerable and this gives a big incentive to spread out, not just pile onto a single base.  More fields under attack gives defenders a better chance at smaller fights, rather than fighting the steamroller. 

Stagnating maps can be given a good nudge out the door but the small maps could get rolled too fast, requiring the implementation of the "24 hour minimum map rule".  This means any map reset within 24 hours gets reset to the same map, so that everyone gets a chance to play on the maps they like.

The moral of the story: nobody would need to fly goons to resupply, just so they can find out where the action is.  HQ going down wouldn't discourage interaction with the enemy, quite the opposite in fact.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:00:01 AM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2015, 11:17:29 AM »
 Bombing HQ is part of the game,stop crying and play.

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2015, 11:21:10 AM »
^^^

Cobia is an HQ bomber no one listen to him!
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »

. . . Resupply trips may only take 15 minutes but if I have to run 4 trips and 2 or 3 other guys run a number of trips, which team is wasting more time?

Two trips is the most I have ever made and that is rare.  Usually one trip is all I can get in to HQ before it is resupplied.  The point is encourage more to resupply and make the time spent to down HQ not worth it.  When M3 are involved, it goes real quick.

Maybe that is a possible answer.  More M3 spawns.  Not sure in the world of map making if that is a big deal or not.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2015, 12:49:33 PM »
snip
HQ destruction results in all auto-acks (fields, towns, strats, CVs) disabled until HQ repaired.

This is my favorite option because it encourages the enemy to attack even more targets.  Everything will be more vulnerable and this gives a big incentive to spread out, not just pile onto a single base.  More fields under attack gives defenders a better chance at smaller fights, rather than fighting the steamroller.  

snip

Form an attacker point of view, this only mean you will have a large part of the force interdicting re-suppliers of enemies HQ's, so you can grab a number of
fields and kill all CV's without worry about Ack.
increased ENY, or ordnance depletion of all fields is a better option IMO
Remember - one bomber set can do all this today.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2015, 01:07:41 PM »
A couple of times I announced on 200 of my NOE HQ raid...

Sure I left out which country I was heading to "where's the fun otherwise", but not the point not many up to defend it in the first place.
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2015, 04:42:50 PM »
Two trips is the most I have ever made and that is rare.  Usually one trip is all I can get in to HQ before it is resupplied.  The point is encourage more to resupply and make the time spent to down HQ not worth it.  When M3 are involved, it goes real quick.

Maybe that is a possible answer.  More M3 spawns.  Not sure in the world of map making if that is a big deal or not.

Well you must get to the party late because I've run many trips while being part of a formation of a number of goons. The same goes for M3, we look like a veterans day parade!

Again, I see the reason FOR HQ raids..... tho it is very rare that they are used for anything other than griefing the other team. If it wasn't griefing after a massive resupply operation to get it up as quickly as possible you would thing you'd see all those "attacks" that were launched knowing the dar was down and they could sneak in quick. Funny thing is you rarely see any change in the attacks.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2015, 07:58:28 AM »
If city is full up its no big deal to get HQ up again, u cam have it up in 10-15 min. But if city is hit and u get 2 hour downtime on hq its a different thing.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2015, 08:09:00 AM »
Linking the HQ's DT to the City wasn't a bad idea.  The problem is that the hardness of the HQ wasn't increased to compensate for it.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2015, 02:11:41 PM »
Bombing HQ is part of the game,stop crying and play.

And it's a part of the game that needs to be changed based on what we are reading in this thread.  But of course, you can have your opinion.  I know how much you like to take HQ down.  You will drive 4-5 sectors with a group of other tanks just to shoot it down with GV's.  Personally, I ain't got time for dat...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline 428CJ

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2015, 08:34:53 PM »
Well, I just get out of the game and find something else to do when HQ goes down.     No dar = No fun.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2015, 08:03:53 AM »
Our Squad log-out last night after HQ went down for the second time.

This is gamers gaming the game like abusing F3 in bombers.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2015, 09:01:15 AM »
How about taking your squad Into the AvA instead of logging off. The bases are closer together and dar dots appear on the map at all times. All you need is about 3-5 guys on each side and you got yourself some good fighting action. There are no Icons so you can work on your SA skills, setting up attacks, and practicing maneuvers, and communicating as a squad. I simply just do not understand why more people or squads do not take advantage of the most realistic aspect to AH...
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion