Author Topic: What happened to this P-40E skin?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
What happened to this P-40E skin?
« on: March 06, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
Is it a materials file problem?   It looks like it is made of chrome:

Can this be fixed?

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: What happened to this P-40E skin?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 07:05:43 PM »
It's an issue with one of the material files. This one looks like it's missing it's bumpmat, or specmap files. Sometimes the older skins that haven't been updated to use bumpmaping will have this issue.

The only real thing you can do is find the skin files for all the P-40s and delete them all. Let the game download them again and see if it works right. If not, there's nothing you can really do until the skinner updates the skin.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 08:42:56 PM »
Is everybody else seeing this?   I think its related to environment bmp map setting - I'm going to try to confirm that...

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 09:16:14 PM »
Is it a materials file problem?   It looks like it is made of chrome:

(Image removed from quote.)

Can this be fixed?

Damn, that's some REALLY high-gloss paint right there.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 09:43:01 PM »
Is everybody else seeing this?   I think its related to environment bmp map setting - I'm going to try to confirm that...

I think it is, which skin is it?

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 03:00:01 AM »
23FG/76S, by ftJR.

Yeah, dunno what went wrong.. the only way to fix it in game is turn off the environmental updates, which fixes it for you, but not for others.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 07:06:31 AM »
That's too bad, FT.   I can see how this could happen if a skinner's PC has the Environment setting set to off.  They would never know anything is off - the skin would alway look Ok to them.   I stopped skinning before these bump and spec map files came into use, so I don't understand how to use them or check for problems.   Seems to me this kind of thing would only reveal itself on a different PC than the skinner has.  Perhaps skins need to be looked at on several different configurations?

I have seen this effect on some P-51 skins too.  It makes them look like Nevada air racers, not warplanes.   

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 09:57:24 AM »
That's too bad, FT.   I can see how this could happen if a skinner's PC has the Environment setting set to off.  They would never know anything is off - the skin would alway look Ok to them.   I stopped skinning before these bump and spec map files came into use, so I don't understand how to use them or check for problems.   Seems to me this kind of thing would only reveal itself on a different PC than the skinner has.  Perhaps skins need to be looked at on several different configurations?

I have seen this effect on some P-51 skins too.  It makes them look like Nevada air racers, not warplanes.

I've also seen it on some of my P-47 skins. I emailed Skuzzy about it a while ago and he said it was a bug that had been fixed. I haven't uploaded any new skins lately to test it however.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 10:59:48 AM »
My game install and skins downoad are all brand new within the last 3 weeks or so.   Was it longer ago than mid-February that Skuzzy said it was fixed?

Or is it a bug that is fixed for future skins while current skins will remain buggy?   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:18:38 PM by oboe »

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »
My game install and skins downoad are all brand new within the last 3 weeks or so.   Was it longer ago than mid-February the Skuzzy said it was fixed?

Or is it a bug that is fixed for future skins while current skins will remain buggy?

I was told it was a bug relating to the submission process. I don't remember all the details and I don't have the emails anymore to look back to. I do remember that we were discussing this issue around the November/December time frame.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 11:14:10 AM »
I have the same issue with one of the French P47 D25 I did long time ago before you had to include the extra files.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:18:28 AM by SFRT - Frenchy »
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 11:41:46 AM »
That's why they're messed up, the game doesn't know how to render the spec map so it just makes the whole plane look like a mirror.

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 04:06:53 PM »
I got that bug with one of the JagdPanther skins last week. Disabling Bump map my plane solved the issue.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas