Author Topic: Time for a break  (Read 1802 times)

Offline JohnnyHeelz

• Zinc Member
Re: Time for a break
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 04:17:42 PM »
Thoughts, prayers.

Offline 1MADDOG1

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 05:55:20 PM »
UPDATE: Had surgery yesterday on the left wrist. Was suffering from what was called "Keinbocks Disease" and have been for many years but didn't know it and had been dealing with a compression fracture for nearly two years but didn't know exactly what was wrong. Some dead & broken bone removed, wrist fused then wrapped in a splint for 2 weeks then, going into a cast for 8 - 12 weeks. Soon to also be dealt with, herniated discs in the lower back L4, L5 & S1 with a rupture that they call an annular tear. It appears that the tear is worsening. Previous Radio Frequency Ablation of the Left S.I. joint (left hip, sciatic nerves) worked for a few months but wore off in November and new attention has to be given to that as well. Both knees that had been previously replaced and revised, replaced, revised, torn quads and revisions....lol, will also need work again soon. Will probably end up requiring a motorized wheelchair for assisted mobility. Wow, enough right? But wait. All of these afflictions as well as a few personal issues had also weighed heavily on my already diagnosed depression and PTSD (from my prior military service 1980 -1991) which created some severe personality changes which I tried to work out on my own.....unsuccessfully of course in the long run which lead to what would be considered a nervous breakdown. Decided to finally man up and ask for the appropriate help to get the head back on track. I believe due to such, within the game, I have created some distance, even hatred between previous friends which I am very regretful of. Asking for forgiveness from those former squadmates of Wings of Terror. Not asking to rejoin the squad, just your forgiveness and understanding as well as from those in the community that I may have rubbed wrong I.E. Pigs on the Wing with PorkyPig. In the middle of all of this, the personal life has suffered a great deal and am taking the time to see if it can be repaired.

This gents and ladies is what has been going on and I hope that this explanation clears up a few things with some of you. For those fellow Military Veterans in here and reading this, I hope that those who may be suffering from some of the same issues, depression and PTSD, can learn from my experiences. Don't be so damned proud as to not reach out to the many services and resources out there for help. It begins with you and may help exponentially with your loved ones, family and friends. Believe me, I know it takes a lot for an individual to admit they have problems and ask for help. Put the pride away and just do it. Save your life and those around you that care for and love you.

Salute Aces High! Thank you everyone for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. I hope that me, myself and I ( :rofl ) can be back up in the unfriendly skies sometime by May.

Respectfully,
1MADDOG1
 :cheers: :old: :bolt:
:old: SM1/E-6 USN 1980-1991 (100% Disabled Vet) Served on FFG-11, FFG-13, FF-1047, LHD-1, HC-16, NAS Pensacola (Navy Police)
Multi AHXARL Season & Finale Champion, Having Fun Since Tour #76
I'm also PorkyPig, DickWeed, 1CASPER1 & Calypso

Online 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2015, 12:36:04 PM »
Great news MD.   Heal up and we'll see you when you return.

1i
"One-Eye"

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2015, 04:53:04 PM »
UPDATE: Had surgery yesterday on the left wrist. Was suffering from what was called "Keinbocks Disease" and have been for many years but didn't know it and had been dealing with a compression fracture for nearly two years but didn't know exactly what was wrong. Some dead & broken bone removed, wrist fused then wrapped in a splint for 2 weeks then, going into a cast for 8 - 12 weeks. Soon to also be dealt with, herniated discs in the lower back L4, L5 & S1 with a rupture that they call an annular tear. It appears that the tear is worsening. Previous Radio Frequency Ablation of the Left S.I. joint (left hip, sciatic nerves) worked for a few months but wore off in November and new attention has to be given to that as well. Both knees that had been previously replaced and revised, replaced, revised, torn quads and revisions....lol, will also need work again soon. Will probably end up requiring a motorized wheelchair for assisted mobility. Wow, enough right? But wait. All of these afflictions as well as a few personal issues had also weighed heavily on my already diagnosed depression and PTSD (from my prior military service 1980 -1991) which created some severe personality changes which I tried to work out on my own.....unsuccessfully of course in the long run which lead to what would be considered a nervous breakdown. Decided to finally man up and ask for the appropriate help to get the head back on track. I believe due to such, within the game, I have created some distance, even hatred between previous friends which I am very regretful of. Asking for forgiveness from those former squadmates of Wings of Terror. Not asking to rejoin the squad, just your forgiveness and understanding as well as from those in the community that I may have rubbed wrong I.E. Pigs on the Wing with PorkyPig. In the middle of all of this, the personal life has suffered a great deal and am taking the time to see if it can be repaired.

This gents and ladies is what has been going on and I hope that this explanation clears up a few things with some of you. For those fellow Military Veterans in here and reading this, I hope that those who may be suffering from some of the same issues, depression and PTSD, can learn from my experiences. Don't be so damned proud as to not reach out to the many services and resources out there for help. It begins with you and may help exponentially with your loved ones, family and friends. Believe me, I know it takes a lot for an individual to admit they have problems and ask for help. Put the pride away and just do it. Save your life and those around you that care for and love you.

Salute Aces High! Thank you everyone for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. I hope that me, myself and I ( :rofl ) can be back up in the unfriendly skies sometime by May.

Respectfully,
1MADDOG1
 :cheers: :old: :bolt:

:salute
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 11:34:22 AM »
Sorry I didn't see this sooner Dog.. thoughts and prayers your way. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 09:33:29 PM »
Maddog if you are still reading the board I wish you a speedy recovery. As you know I have known about a lot of your MD problems from back in the day we were JG-3 Udet, those were good days.

I too have stepped back from the game for a while just because it was ceasing to be fun anymore, all the bickering and egos were getting out of hand. I get tired of all the my dick is bigger than your dick coming from a lot of the younger players in this game.
I've been dealing some with the VA and it is like watching snails crawl to get anything taken care of.
I am still involved with the testing of AH3 and find it fun because everyone has the same goal to make the game better.

Hang in there old JG3 squadmate we will be back in the cartoon skies soon I am sure.  :old:
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline 1MADDOG1

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2015, 03:04:42 PM »
This is what it looked like two weeks after initial surgery.

No, it's not Niki Orange, it's Cleveland Orange! Picked the color because of my friend playing for the Browns. Gotta get a green one next week because he ended up signing a one year contract with Seattle back on the 18th. Looks like a possible road trip from Pensacola to Seattle in September or October if I can get tickets again.

April 2nd starts the look at the back for future work on it. Beginning to miss the unfriendly skies. :salute
:old: SM1/E-6 USN 1980-1991 (100% Disabled Vet) Served on FFG-11, FFG-13, FF-1047, LHD-1, HC-16, NAS Pensacola (Navy Police)

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 03:47:05 PM »
This is what it looked like two weeks after initial surgery.
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

No, it's not Niki Orange, it's Cleveland Orange! Picked the color because of my friend playing for the Browns. Gotta get a green one next week because he ended up signing a one year contract with Seattle back on the 18th. Looks like a possible road trip from Pensacola to Seattle in September or October if I can get tickets again.

April 2nd starts the look at the back for future work on it. Beginning to miss the unfriendly skies. :salute

Jesus... Did they go to home depot for those freaking staples?...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 03:51:07 PM »
Mad I wish only good things for you. We'll be here when you feel better.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline 1MADDOG1

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2015, 02:32:56 AM »
Tried to play a couple of times but, tough to get around in the cast.

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2015, 07:50:13 AM »
 :salute, Maddog

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2015, 11:13:45 PM »
Sad news about your friend, but I do think the cast is cool. 

Glad you are on the mend, hope to see ya again in a couple months.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline 1MADDOG1

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »
Finally out of the casts and into a long brace. Next, work on the herniated & ruptured disc's in the lower back.

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2015, 10:38:28 AM »
MadDog, my best wishes for ur health to be back on Top ASAP !  :salute

" Army Of Wolves "

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2015, 10:51:33 AM »
Glad you're sharing on your recovery Maddog...

You had mentioned that you had to man-up to your internal issues - was it that old-man thinking 'man-up' is what got a lot of us Veterans in trouble in the first place? Does maning-up and take the pain! sound familiar? Does Man-up - men don't complain or cry or need help...cause other issues? Does the phrase - Man-up and be a man - suck it up - ring a bell? It does to me.

For a lot of us veterans, the military way of internalizing a lot of the pain we experienced amplifies PTSD just because we were suppose to be 'strong - and man-up!

Maddog - I am very happy to see you admit that men do experience pain both externally and internally.  Proud of you bro.  And that is makes you even stronger than 'maning up.'   It makes you human. :salute

Ed "Fork" Reddy
Vet.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:56:14 AM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech