Author Topic: Terrain Editor  (Read 24400 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Terrain Editor
« Reply #360 on: January 15, 2016, 12:12:17 PM »
Just tried three things.

1. - Deleted the HQ. Painted the square with trre\clutter, placed the HQ object down. Turned on show trees and trees showed up where they shouldn't be.

2. - Deleted the HQ. Painted the square "sand", placed the HQ object down. Turned on show trees and trees showed up where they shouldn't be.

3. - Deleted the HQ. Painted the square sand and one default brush width outside of the grid square so no trees would be touching the edge of the HQ object tile. Turned on show trees and trees showed up where they shouldn't be.

The pattern the trees follow is always the same no matter which kind of trees are nearest to the HQ object tile.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #361 on: January 15, 2016, 01:57:06 PM »
The problem I was having with the game dropping to the desktop or crashing when the overcast layer loaded seems to have gone away without me doing anything. It did it without fail this morning, but I did not try rebooting the PC then. I'll let you know if it reoccurs.

I had a look at the HQ both in the game and the TE and like Bustr says the tree layout does not match the rest of the object. It looks like a set of trees from another object has been applied by mistake.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #362 on: January 15, 2016, 03:00:27 PM »
Greebo, Easycor,

Do you gentlemen have some simple cloud file I can test on my terrain and learn from it how to work with clouds? I'm currently trying to see how I can effect FPS and see what is eating it and how to modify what I'm painting to gain back FPS while keeping a realistic look.

Bare rock eats FPS as does compact areas of tall trees on elevations versus flats. Clouds could possibly make me cry, or not.

Thank you in advance.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #363 on: January 15, 2016, 03:28:36 PM »
I haven't worked with the new Cloud Editor yet. Still stuck documenting terrain tile types atm.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #364 on: January 15, 2016, 05:44:43 PM »
Greebo, Easycor,

Do you gentlemen have some simple cloud file I can test on my terrain and learn from it how to work with clouds? I'm currently trying to see how I can effect FPS and see what is eating it and how to modify what I'm painting to gain back FPS while keeping a realistic look.

Thank you in advance.

I have attached a fairly simple weather file for you to play with. Rename it to match the name of your terrain and with an "awa" suffix then put it in your terrain's folder in the chconfig folder. (i.e. craterma.awa in chconfig/craterma).

It has a number of approximately 100-cloud sized formations moving across the map in various directions and a thin overcast layer. I kept the formations fairly small and spread out to try and avoid FPS issues for marginal PCs.

I posted some cloud editor tips in post 351 of this thread. A couple of other tips:

If you are putting both an overcast layer and cloud formations into a terrain then make the overcast layer very high, say 40K or so. This is because there is an issue where clouds disappear when looked at through an overcast layer.

Don't use the "Lock" feature in the cloud editor, it is broken.

It is often easier to copy and paste cloud formations into the awa file using Notepad and then edit or move these using the cloud editor. However don't save the file with the cloud editor and then leave it running in the background while you edit the text. Once you reopen your newly modified weather file with it, the editor can do odd things to the file. Instead save the file, shut the cloud editor down and then restart it when you have finished editing the text.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:51:53 PM by Greebo »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #365 on: January 15, 2016, 05:52:18 PM »
Opened the cloud editor and targeted my custom terrain. Set the 4 white line frame parameters V,A,W,D. Picked min and max cloud types. Set a negative number -0.02 as the start time. 1 hour duration. Kept the min\max alts and other default numbers. Ran the animation fine. Saved as an awa file, same name as my terrain.

When I startup my terrain offline, no gigantic cloud front coming in from the south. Even set time to 12 0 5000 to speed things up.

These files should be in the ah3terr folder with the following naming format?

gunnery.res
gunnery.awa

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #366 on: January 15, 2016, 06:01:52 PM »
Greebo tried your file with both my terrain and NDilses offline. No clouds showed up on either. Some time ago you posted an awa file for AH2. I renamed it to ndisles and it ran offline when I placed it in the same directory with the ndisles.res. I'm probably doing something wrong to get it to work.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #367 on: January 15, 2016, 06:03:55 PM »
The file gunnery.awa should be in the chconfig/gunnery folder for it to work offline. You can also put other awa files into this folder and access them in-game with the command ".sweath". So typing ".sweath test" into the radio bar would run the weather file "test.awa" in the chconfig/gunnery folder.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #368 on: January 15, 2016, 06:31:54 PM »
DuH!!!!

Kept thinking that but accepted the editor as the last word on the correct folder.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #369 on: January 16, 2016, 05:10:44 PM »
Greebo what terrset is that image?

HiTech

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #370 on: January 17, 2016, 12:37:10 AM »
That is the Euro Summer terrset. So far it's not a problem in Med or Pac.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #371 on: January 17, 2016, 06:32:26 AM »
Yes its the Euro summer set.

Bustr has mentioned that he adjusted the diameter of his SPs in his terrain. How is this done and is it permitted to do so for an MA terrain?

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #372 on: January 17, 2016, 06:39:12 AM »
It's VehicleSpawnRadius under Ranges in the Arena settings. We can't set it in the TE.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #373 on: January 17, 2016, 07:46:41 AM »
Thanks Easyscor, I've never had to use that feature as I have only made MA terrains.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #374 on: January 17, 2016, 01:56:16 PM »
Sorry, I set it to 0 in my var file so when spawning to the top of the wirbel nest, the gunnery ranges, or onto the roads in TT, it would be the same spot each time. That is why I'm trying to see if one of the free zip programs will package the files as a self extractor and place the res, var and awa files in the correct folders. Including writing a new folder chconfig\Gunnery.

Most players have no patience for reading and following written instructions much anymore...... :huh
bustr - POTW 1st Wing