Author Topic: N1k and other planes.  (Read 4858 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: N1k and other planes.
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2015, 09:17:26 AM »
I'd still say that the Quad-Hizookas are still all around more effective than the Quad-mk108s. Sure the 30mm is very dangerous once someone become proficient with them, But the Hispano is dangerous without a good gunner behing the stick. the 30mms biggest weakness is its terrible muzzle velocity. The round is Slow and it drops off alot. This means you need to pull that much more lead on target which in turns makes you more vulnerable to overshoots and gives him more room to get out of your guns.

True, but Very tough to trade that off with the ability to kill 3 B-17 on a single high speed pass. And have enough ammo to do that 3 times. 
Who is John Galt?

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2015, 05:20:10 PM »
We should perk all these planes:

All Spitfire because they are Uber.
Mustang cuz it is a noob plane.
Brewster and Zero cuz they turn good.
All P-38s cuz they have 2 engines.
109 K4 cuz it can climb.
FW-190 cuz it can roll.
37mm P-39 cuz 37mm.

Actually, perk all the aircraft and ground vehicles except C-47 and Jeep.  All the noobs and dweebs should only get to fly the C-47. 
This should alienate anybody who dares play in way I don't agree with.   :noid

perk jeep too. it has a gun.

:aok

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline shake307

• Zinc Member
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2015, 10:47:22 PM »
perk jeep too. it has a gun.

:aok

Perk the guy in the chute, he also has a gun. :pray
Respect is granted, not demanded.

Let's get drunk and fly!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2015, 11:24:13 PM »
I always thought that the 20's on the KI were some of the fastest firing guns in game...(which makes up for their lack of punch but like you say, you gotta conserve....)..

strange though trying to find info on the  quad 20 ki... I found a few write ups from WT....their KI84 has very slow firing 20's. (at least that is what players are saying)
Then WT has them wrong, at least the wing mounted guns.  Synchronized Brownings, and Browning derived guns like the Japanese 12.7mm Ho-103 (Ki-43, Ki-61 and Ki-84 in AH) and 20mm Ho-5 (Ki-61 and Ki-84 in AH) suffered a 40-60% loss of RoF.  In AH such guns only lose 10% of their RoF.  That said, the wing mounted guns on the Ki-84 are not synchronized and would have their full rate of fire.

Per Anthony Williams and Emmanuel Gustin in Flying Guns of WWII, the AH 20mm cannons fall out like so when unsynchronized:

Ho-5: 750-850rpm
B-20: 800rpm
ShVAK: 800rpm
Hispano Mk V: 750rpm
MG151/20: 700rpm
Hispano Mk II: 600rpm
MG/FF: 530rpm
Type 99 Model I: 520rpm
Type 99 Model II: 490rpm

Larger guns, just for kicks:

MK108 30mm: 600-650rpm
VYa 23mm: 550rpm
MK103 30mm: 360-420rpm
NS-37 37mm: 250rpm
BK37 37mm: 160rpm
M4 37mm: 140-150rpm
Class S 40mm: 100rpm
BK5 50mm: 45rpm
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2015, 09:08:56 AM »
Spit 16 is ranked #32 in top speed @ sea level.

Post the full list please :)

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2015, 10:17:12 AM »
I flew KI-84 for many years. The guns do fire quickly and you do need to conserve your Ammo as INK Stated. N1k has great guns once you get use to them. Most of you don't understand the capabilities that N1k has in the right hands.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Avanti

• Copper Member
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2015, 07:14:44 AM »
Sorry to bump an old thread here but there is a valid point here to be made

N1k should be perked because of the nature of aces high fights, 90% of all fights are below 10k where the n1k can dominate

Sure, it's not that great above 10k

But every plane has its weakness, 262's aren't great when slow, tempest's can't turn n burn very well, in fact I chased 2 down today in a spit 8 which isnt perked and the torque in those things in phenomenal... You need to know how to fly it right before you can get kills in it....

The n1k on the other hand, can be flown from any skill level, its guns can shoot down aircraft from up to 1k no problem, it can turn better than most planes including the f4u 1c and that's a perked plane! But the n1k isn't?

Now I don't get shot down by these very often, but every time I fly against one I think it should be perked, or other planes should be unperked such as the f4u1c because they are essentially the same thing, a corsairs flat acceleration sucks where a n1k does quite well, and don't even get me started on how well n1k's zoom climb or even just climb up to targets!

So to conclude my rant, the f4u1c is perked.... But not the n1k and I would argue it's a better plane

Cheers
Mitch

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2015, 07:37:21 AM »

N1k should be perked because of the nature of aces high fights, 90% of all fights are below 10k where the n1k can dominate

But every plane has its weakness, 262's aren't great when slow, tempest's can't turn n burn very well, in fact I chased 2 down today in a spit 8 which isnt perked and the torque in those things in phenomenal... You need to know how to fly it right before you can get kills in it....

The n1k on the other hand, can be flown from any skill level, its guns can shoot down aircraft from up to 1k no problem, it can turn better than most planes including the f4u 1c and that's a perked plane! But the n1k isn't?

Now I don't get shot down by these very often, but every time I fly against one I think it should be perked, or other planes should be unperked such as the f4u1c because they are essentially the same thing, a corsairs flat acceleration sucks where a n1k does quite well, and don't even get me started on how well n1k's zoom climb or even just climb up to targets!

So to conclude my rant, the f4u1c is perked.... But not the n1k and I would argue it's a better plane

Cheers
Mitch

I agree that it is a great trainer plane as well as easier to fly than the Chog. It has an amazing vert zoom climb so beating it in the merge with a rope is very difficult.

I disagree though because actually the Chog outperforms the nik in almost every category. And the Chog actually turns better than the Nik. The Chog dives better, is faster overall, has better 20mm, can climb almost just as good as the nik in the zoom climb, can roll off a CV, and has lots of ord.

The two planes are similar, but actually the Chog has the better all around performance and would win in a 1v1 duel.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:40:11 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2015, 11:58:06 AM »

Cheers
Mitch
The N1K2-J is also very slow, barely breaking 320mph on the deck and topping out at below 370mph.  In a game increasingly dominated by fast, maneuverable fighters perking aircraft like the N1K2-J or Spitfire Mk XVI that give new players a chance to be marginally effective before being killed by a coordinated gang of BnZ runners is a very good thing.  The game already has an excessively steep learning curve that costs a lot of potential subscriptions.  Making that learning curve steeper would be counter productive to the health of the game.

If you want to kill the N1K in a maneuver fight then you'll just have to step out of your speed demon and use something slower, but more maneuverable such as the Spit IX or Bf109F-4.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
. . .

If you so strongly believe this, then fly an N1K and DA someone competent in the aircraft you listed (Spit, F4U-1c, etc.). Your N1K will get stomped.

The N1K's only advantage is it's guns. Turn performance is decent, but it's outmaneuvered by LA's, Spit 8/16's, and it's combined climb+turn performance is worse than a Spit 9, Yak 3/9's. It's slower than Typhoons, P-51's, D9's and 152's, 109G14/K4. Its only advantage is how much hitting power it can bring. It's an aircraft suited for very aggressive players that typically come into fights with extra altitude/airspeed. Co-alt at cruise speed, it's fairly average, and its performance only gets worse as you climb above 12k (performance drops off significantly there).

It is very much the Japanese version of the Typhoon, with all of the performance it implies. With alt and E on the opponent, they seem great. Take that away and force a co-alt fight, and you'll quickly find how poorly they perform in general.

Watch someone like 2cmex who flies it, and you'll notice from the moment he engages, his overall flight path is almost entirely downhill. It doesn't have the energy on its own to be a threat. Meet one co-alt and you'll find they're hardly the monster you make them out to be.

In this situation, it seems your real problem isn't the N1K, it's a lack of SA combined with N1K's who are taking advantage of you being low and slow.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:21:35 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Avanti

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2015, 03:48:25 PM »
I'm not saying I struggle to fly against them, in just saying that as a low alt fighter, they are brilliant, they can up off the deck and be brilliant from the get go, and yes they aren't fast but they get to their top speed very fast, c hog can't do that unless in a dive, sure a c hog could turn better, but only with flaps from which a n1k can't just extend for a bit and converter the fight back and dispatch them using energy

Also skyyr I'm more talking about the MA, no plane is perked in the DA

Saying this in Japan's 'typhoon' is comparing apples to oranges, the planes are nothing alike

I'm also more focusing on it's below 10k performance
You need to know how to fly every plane and majority of all MA engagements are below 10k

For instance, you most likely wouldn't up a c hog or a tempest to engage a iminent base attack, you would get downed very quickly. But you would up a n1k because it can survive those situations, it also can engage ground vehicles and doesn't need ord to do it either

Though I do agree it could maybe damage the game for the newer players

Offline Avanti

• Copper Member
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2015, 03:53:04 PM »
And also an important thing I forgot to add

Yes the c hog is a marginally better plane

BUT in a co alt merge, the n1k has the potential to finish the fight before the c hog has the opportunity to (this is not including any ho'ing tactics)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2015, 03:58:43 PM »
There was a time when both planes were unperked... and the F4U-C ended up being the perked one (the first and for a long time the only one) for a reason...

Theoretical "duel" performance is one thing, actual MA environment and the practical usage & impact is another one. The perk system was created to adjust arena imbalances.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Avanti

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2015, 04:25:24 PM »
MA and DA sure are two very different places, but I'm mainly talking about MA performance

Even if it was a light perkng on the n1k, this is just what I think on the matter, it was the best that Japan had to offer and it shows

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2015, 04:41:21 PM »
MA and DA sure are two very different places, but I'm mainly talking about MA performance

Even if it was a light perkng on the n1k, this is just what I think on the matter, it was the best that Japan had to offer and it shows
The Ki-84 is, in both reality and AH, significantly superior to the N1K2-J.

You did not acknowledge or address my statement about needing newbie friendly aircraft in the game.  Newbies will not stick around to become experienced players if they are just forced to be cannonfodder.  Having some easier planes like the Spitfires, N1K2-J and P-38L helps new players have fun, which makes them much more likely to stick around and become paying customers who learn and are then able to move on to more challenging aircraft.

The N1K2-J is also not at all dominating the charts.

The game is more and more favoring fast, unmanueverable fighters that can run away when danger rears its ugly head.  Perking one of the few semi-capable turn fighters in such an environment would be a mistake.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-