Author Topic: N1k and other planes.  (Read 4976 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: N1k and other planes.
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2015, 06:37:42 PM »
I'll go after a P38 when flying a TU2.

TU2 get's one chance at landing 20mms and possibly one more fleeting moment before it's overwhelmed.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2015, 07:44:55 PM »
All I can say is that I found the P-38 to be one of the easiest planes to succeed in.  Right up there with the N1K2-J.  I did not feel picked on any more than I do in a Spit, 109 or 51 and its performance was good with great guns.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2015, 11:27:20 PM »
I very much disagree with that.
You need quite a good SA and grasp of ACM to succeed in the P-38. As it has no single quality that could be instantly (and instinctively) be exploited by a beginner or even average player. Speed, flat turning radius, climb rate, nothing of all that is any special on its own. You gotta be able to combine several aspects to succeed, instead of augering you locked up fighter.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2015, 11:43:46 AM »
It is easy.  Turns well, climbs well, good firepower on the centerline, no torque.

Has some down sides, but that is true of most fighters.

My experience in using it in AH was that it was very easy, one of the easiest fighters to succeed in.  Certainly easier than something like the Ki-84 or Bf109K-4.

You also probably flew the P-38L when you already had experience flying other planes, which made the P-38L flying easier for you.  Had you not already had the experience prior to flying the P-38L, you'd be singing a different tune.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2015, 11:46:48 AM »

There is a P-38 mafia on these forums that like to talk the P-38 up as being extremely challenging and drawing a crowd.  It just isn't so.  If you want to draw a crowd fly, in order of crowd drawing potential, an Me410 or something really rare or a Bf110 or a Mossie.

Flying the P-38 is challenging, try turn fighting planes like Spitfires, N1K2s, Zekes, etc.  If you strictly BnZ in the P-38, then yeah, it's really not a challenge to fly.  The only reason why I've stuck with the P-38 for so long is that is always provides me a challenge each time I fly it.  YMMV.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2015, 11:59:06 AM »
B-239 is the most awesome plane of AH.
Anyone disagreeing is wrong and must send me an apology and $10.  :old:
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »
IMO the only un-perked plane that should deserve a perk status would be the LA-7 with 3 guns.

Its should have 2-guns un-perked, a great majority of them used in WW2 ETO had 2 guns only.

Its like some have asked in wishlist to equip the A20 with Hispano's. Noone would fly anything else but the Hispano version, much like the 3-gun LA-7.

It catches most planes  up to 10k, have acceleration like few other, dive up to 550mph, turn ok but not good, have 50% more power than the 2-gun version of LA-7, can carry bombs.

Only a few other unperked planes have same k/d and have a  high usage (very understandably), only P51d are higher this TOD.

Range is the only snag I can find on it. If more experienced players flew it in MA it would already be perked.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:42:59 PM by save »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2015, 03:07:52 PM »
You also probably flew the P-38L when you already had experience flying other planes, which made the P-38L flying easier for you.  Had you not already had the experience prior to flying the P-38L, you'd be singing a different tune.

Flying the P-38 is challenging, try turn fighting planes like Spitfires, N1K2s, Zekes, etc.  If you strictly BnZ in the P-38, then yeah, it's really not a challenge to fly.  The only reason why I've stuck with the P-38 for so long is that is always provides me a challenge each time I fly it.  YMMV.
Yes, the L.  For a lot of the time that I spent in the P-38 only the L was available.  I agree the G is a challenge to the point where I was once doing some top cover for GVs in a Mossie VI when a P-38 dove in on me and I was mentally prepping for a hard fight that was going to be tough to win, then it got within 1000 yards and IDed it as a G and my thoughts changed to "Oh, easy kill" and I shot it down in about 10-15 seconds..

As to how I fought, aggressively in the vertical, same as in the Mossie.  38 is better at it though.  I'd mix it up more than in the Mossie.  I have to be a lot more disciplined in the Mossie than in the P-38, had a lot more confidence in the 38 when mixing it up with 109s and Las than I do in the Mossie.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2015, 03:45:53 AM »
I just love the 38 period
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015