Author Topic: Suggestions for new PC  (Read 972 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Suggestions for new PC
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 02:29:07 PM »
I know little to nothing about computers really but sure glad to see you back you dweeb
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 02:53:06 PM »
Same here. I've been wondering when many former players would start trickling back in, I think in the next few months we'll be seeing a lot of old friends and familiar faces returning.  Good times ahead.

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 03:42:56 PM »
I can attest to the MB..CPU..Vid card..memory as that is what I currently have in my system now. only difference is I have mine water cooled,vid card and CPU.

It works great in the game and other things I do so i can't say its too bad.

LAwnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 05:42:45 PM »
Win7 home has a max ram addressing of 16 gigs!

Now I'm not sure if this includes vidram in there but if you use home version you will have this limit. Win7 pro,while more expensive doesnt have this issue,as for win8 and beyond I havent found out about this problem as of yet.

Yucca,looking at your proposed build you would have a total of 20 gigs of ram. I would either go with 8 gigs of ram or I would consider another OS. You could get a nice sized storage drive for the price of the extra 8 gigs of ram,this is likely what I would do.

YMMV.

:salute

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 01:16:41 PM »
Okay so I talked to him this morning.  He said they used to give exact models and makes previously.  However, he had been burned over it.  Having people call him spec it out then they'd go build their own based off the information he provided to them.  He did however tell me the hardware is the same stuff he uses.  He mentioned it's all corsair and asus.  He did say that once I got it he would take it back at no charge if I didn't like it at no charge.  He also said he would do a 24 hour burn in test (I think that's what he called it) with a benchmark program he uses.  He did say that the win7 home 16 g addressing doesn't have anything to do with the video cards ram.  He said that was separate and he said that he really didn't think that I would get close to that 16 gig mark unless I was doing some video rendering or CAD programs.  However, I have done some video editing in the past so he kicked it up to Win7 pro for another $35.  So I think i'll go with him.  I mean I can't beat the fact that if im not happy he'll take it back at no charge.

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »
Oh and Batfink it's been a long time.  Glad to see you're still around, I'll see you in the air. (probably on my 6) lol

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 02:25:02 PM »
It's understandable that he doesn't want to make other people's homework for free, and the promise to take it back sounds like a good sign especially if you get it written in the receipt. In any case supporting a local guy is a good thing, both for you and for him. He'll get a job and some income, you'll get a close contact to a support person. The support person in big companies may change at every post in an e-mail chain, each one suggesting the most obvious fix no matter how many times you'd tell them you'd already done that a million times. A local guy will know what he has built and concentrate on your possible problems every time you pop into his shop. :aok
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 02:34:37 PM »
Yeah I try to support the local guys for just about everything I do.  I run a small company and I understand how difficult it is these days.  With information being so accessible you have people price checking materials etc.  A lot of people can look it up and don't feel like you should make a buck.  Big chains get great deals on bulk materials and will mark it up probably the same as the local guy.  Sadly the local guy probably gets the same price an individual can online these days.  So I'm always willing to spend a little more on a local business.  And like you said the support is almost always better.