Author Topic: Unable to Download Skins  (Read 457 times)

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
Unable to Download Skins
« on: December 21, 2014, 08:11:19 AM »
I am unable to download any plane or vehicle skins. The Downloads > Skins page on the main website just gives me a "page cannot be displayed" message. Auto-download in the MA has been stuck on a B17G skin since my last active period back in the summer. I'll get periodic messages in the MA stating something like "resuming download of B17G
  • skin" as if it keeps getting blocked or disconnected.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
Re: Unable to Download Skins
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
Finally got the website download page to work using Google Chrome; it wouldn't work using Internet Explorer (yes, it was up to date).
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:23:06 AM »
Finally got the website download page to work using Google Chrome; it wouldn't work using Internet Explorer (yes, it was up to date).
That may have been the main culprit, although sometimes resetting IE works, too.

Here's a simplified explanation for those who might be interested in "why": IE has been an elementary part of Windows since W98 which made it the most common browser. Although there's a standard for coding websites, Microsoft wanted things to be done their way. So coders had to make two kinds of code and put a sniffer in their code for choosing the right version between IE and other browsers. Now every IE version after 6.5 has come a little closer to the standard, but since there's three supported versions of IE on the market, websites can't necessarily figure out whether to use the standard or IE version.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:33:11 AM »
WRT your stuck downloads, bear in mind that a lot of the heavy bomber skins are now in 2048 rather than 1024 res. This means they tend to be a lot larger and take far longer to download than other skins, particularly if they have specularity and bump maps included with them.

The skins page on the HTC site has not been updated in over a year now. So once you've downloaded everything off of there you still have to get the remaining ones through the game.