Author Topic: Attacking Bombers with a P-38?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: Attacking Bombers with a P-38?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 01:59:01 PM »
My favourite with the mossie is the uppercut attack - from low 12 into their chin. They are completely unready for this and the only way to fire at you is from the ball position rotated forward, and after you blow through, they have to jump to the rear or top position and quickly acquire you as you distance yourself with both your speeds combined. The 38 can pull this off as well when it still has the cannon. With just the 0.5s it lacks the punch to make this a sure-fire kill.

Latrobe make a good point about the maneuverings bombers. If the drones get drawn away from the lead - go for the drones. Most players just go after the one with the icon even when it makes no sense. The time to hit the lead is when he is busy shooting at someone else.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 02:16:09 PM »
ME410 has like 10 different ways of ruining bombers.
See Rule #4

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 02:16:26 PM »
My favourite with the mossie is the uppercut attack - from low 12 into their chin.

I have tried this several times trying to perfect this shot.  The problem, for me anyway, is getting an all too often pilot wound when pulling up from below.  I think HTC models the lack of thick, bullet proof glass on the P-38 canopy top.  Maybe the mossie has better top protection.

On a B26 this should be the perfect shot but that gunner position or F3 flying can pull the bombers away that shot without much trouble.  I got killed once 1K dead below a B26 setting up for this attack.

I too shoot the drones first but I have seen them snap back into position like a warp.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 02:31:48 PM »
Randy, I have had no luck attacking buffs from below.  As you are pulling up you are decelerating.  If you are diving down you are accelerating so you are in their guns too long from below.  Every one of my attacks are from 3.0 Icon range or more before I turn to attack and always always always from their 1:00, 12:00 or 11:00.  I attack the lead first, and then try to get a few pings on their left or right AI as I fly past.  I attack the lead first because if I only oil his engine, my next attack will always be on the AI's until they are dead.  I do not attack the lead on the second and third pass when I have oiled his engine because in just a little while, he will lose that engine and his entire formation will slow because of it.  This will make a huge difference if he is at altitude because he will slow down dramatically or have to start descending, making it easier on subsequent attacks.

If at any time you would like to ride along, please PM me and ask and I will be more than happy to have you ride along.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
I like to attack the Lead because he doesn't usually warp into me.
See Rule #4

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 03:03:44 PM »
FLS would argue with a skunk on a stump.  :)

I wasn't arguing with Wiley. I was pointing out our agreement. 

Remember my advice about looking for errors?   :D

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 03:07:39 PM »
I like to attack the Lead because he doesn't usually warp into me.

Given my druthers, I attack them in the order Right-Left-Lead.  This will minimize warping, although if he's maneuvering hard all bets are off and I just make it a point not to get too close to the formation when that's happening.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 03:59:25 PM »
Given my druthers, I attack them in the order Right-Left-Lead.  This will minimize warping, although if he's maneuvering hard all bets are off and I just make it a point not to get too close to the formation when that's happening.

Wiley.

This is actually the best order of attack. You have to consider that crossing over the top of the lead in order to get the drone may give the lead an easier shot over the top as well as underneath.

If the drones become seperated from the lead during a sharp turn, then consider attacking the drones. 

Most "great" bomber pilots attempt to keep you on their 6 by making slight turning adjustments while also pushing nose down so it is hard to get ahead and over top of them.

If you attack under the nose from the 12 oclock position be prepared to nose down and and dive slightly to get away from the back gunners, turn to the left or right to throw off their aim.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 04:11:37 PM »

If at any time you would like to ride along, please PM me and ask and I will be more than happy to have you ride along.

Good offer Zoney.  Thanks.

I really appreciate all the help.  I have a pretty good game plane in mind by incorporating all the replies.

Bozon I need to spend sometime in the Mossie.  Interesting plane.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 05:21:25 PM »
This is actually the best order of attack. You have to consider that crossing over the top of the lead in order to get the drone may give the lead an easier shot over the top as well as underneath.

I agree this is the best (safest) attack profile.  The reason I choose to hit the lead and one AI on each attack run, (again, unless I oil the lead's engine), is because I'm going for the "Twofer".  I love a "Twofer".  Only thing better is the "Threefer", and someday I'd like to get a "Sixfer" like icepac did.

I attempt these "Twofers" because Wiley is my Wingy, and with him, you got to get the kills fast or he steals them.  He's like that, then he calls me names.
Wag more, bark less.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 09:17:46 PM »
I agree this is the best (safest) attack profile.  The reason I choose to hit the lead and one AI on each attack run, (again, unless I oil the lead's engine), is because I'm going for the "Twofer".  I love a "Twofer".  Only thing better is the "Threefer", and someday I'd like to get a "Sixfer" like icepac did.

I attempt these "Twofers" because Wiley is my Wingy, and with him, you got to get the kills fast or he steals them.  He's like that, then he calls me names.

I have a great film of everything we are talking about that I took a few nights ago. Wish I could post the .ahf file on the boards. Icepac got me a FIVEFER insta proxies by HOing the massive group with rockets, it was hilarious. My other 3 kills were incorperating the metheds I have been discribing. It its a perfect example of some of the things we have described.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 06:30:42 AM »
Spent some time in offline practice trying to get my attack angle right as y'all suggested.  Coming in high, and from in front from the 3 O'clock position gave me the best guns on time with the most damage.  Collided several times in trying to get the pass right.  Good practice on those drones bombers.

Offline shake307

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 02:07:51 PM »
Just wanted to thank everyone for the good advice.  Tried Latrobe's tactics last night and with a K4 against B17s.  It worked well until I ran out of ammo.  Thanks.
Respect is granted, not demanded.

Let's get drunk and fly!

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 03:42:22 PM »
I fly bombers 90% of the time. My one weakness is when an interceptor drops down on my buffs. The closer to the 3 or 9 o clock position while dropping in can be damn near impossible to defend against if they have a lot of speed. I have found in this situation the only way to defend against this is to set auto climb to 110, engage it, and turn into the plane attacking while spray and praying. I'd say against really good players who attack from this position I've got a 25% chance of not loosing all my buffs if I use this counter move.

Latrobe is right simply turning away is suicide for buffs. Attacking any other way against me in buffs and it doesn't end well for the other guy. This is why I have no problem climbing to 20k for wf/base shutdown runs and +30k on strat runs cause I virtually take away this attack. Player has to be in position already and if he is he deserves the kills! Hope this helps.
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 04:04:24 PM »
I wanted to add simply slashing from the side of a buff at any speed will end badly if the player is good with the guns. It's easier to get a firing solution on an interceptor if he slashes from the side from my experience. Simply have to guess a good lead and allow the target to come into the line of fire. Very easy to pilot wound or smoke em when the slash from the side. Practice dropping in at angles of 45-90 degrees starting about 2-3k above the target.
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO