Author Topic: Will this...  (Read 614 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Will this...
« on: February 24, 2015, 05:04:04 PM »
Dell XPS 8700 X8700-1125BLK

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-X8700-1125BLK-Desktop-Windows-Professional/dp/B00NJNEN1W/ref=pd_sim_pc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ESYV7WDYQAMKTK78JTR#productDetails

...have pci e slots that are compatible with my MSI 660TI vid card? I've looked over all the specs and don't see anywhere that it mentions the older slots.

I can't do anything about it as I've learned this computer is coming to me as a gift, so IF not, I guess I'll have to upgrade the 660 TI.

I looked at the tower measurements and it looks like I'll have plenty of room to put my 850w psu in it.

My baby HP Pavillion took a carp, I'm sad to see it go and I don't have a great respect for Dell based on the past  :bhead

I hope, dearly so, that this time with Dell will be different.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
Re: Will this...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 06:53:34 PM »
The 8700 appears to have a single PCI-E x16 slot, so it should should be able to handle your video card without a problem, though you wouldn't be able to add a second card and SLI.  The included 460 w power supply is probably good enough for your card, presuming that it has the appropriate output cables for your card.  Otherwise, an 850w supply is more than enough (Dell used to use proprietary motherboards and power supply connectors - I believe they are now industry-standard).

Mike

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 11:32:29 PM »
Thank you.

Yes, nail on head, my problem in the past has been proprietary carp with Dell.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 01:07:30 AM »
The 8700 appears to have a single PCI-E x16 slot, so it should should be able to handle your video card without a problem, though you wouldn't be able to add a second card and SLI.  The included 460 w power supply is probably good enough for your card, presuming that it has the appropriate output cables for your card.  Otherwise, an 850w supply is more than enough (Dell used to use proprietary motherboards and power supply connectors - I believe they are now industry-standard).

Mike

Even worse, Dell used to have the standard ATX power connector but they switched the cable order. If someone tried to replace the PSU with a regular one or the motherboard with original PSU, the components fried.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 03:23:18 PM »
I have received the new rig.

Should I insert the aftermarket psu and vid card from my old rig before I boot the new comp? Or is there a reason I should walk through initial setup type stuff before installing aftermarket products?

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 05:10:16 PM »
To be on the safe side fire it up as is to make certain everything works before adding your additional hardware.
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 11:41:17 PM »
To be on the safe side fire it up as is to make certain everything works before adding your additional hardware.

Good point sir. Thanks.