Author Topic: 88mm Gun Bug Causing Base Damage  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: 88mm Gun Bug Causing Base Damage
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »
icepac the one question you are not answering is whether you are the shooter, or just an observer. From the position of observer there are too many unknowns. If you are the shooter and you are seeing puffy explosions far (FAR) above the guns and they still explode, then that's different.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 08:45:18 PM »
[
icepac the one question you are not answering is whether you are the shooter, or just an observer. From the position of observer there are too many unknowns. If you are the shooter and you are seeing puffy explosions far (FAR) above the guns and they still explode, then that's different.

Have seen 88:s destroying one of our V-bases (guns and hangers) but the terrain makes it impossible for direct or indirect fire from the 88 to cause that damage. Was also AA rounds that exploded way above and off the field.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 11:25:05 PM »
Again. I do not believe that you can make that assumption as an observer. If you can do that with an 88mm, then that's different.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 11:38:09 PM »
Again. i do not belive that anyone can land a hit (and absolutley not take down an entire base) in an 88 on a target they cant see.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 02:26:19 PM »
Then you are not paying attention. I can absolutely do it. I prefer the M4 because it has a faster firing rate. With the 88mm by the time you finish the base has already rebuilt even with two guns working together. With the M4 I can close the base in 3 minutes, kill everything on the base in 12 minutes, which leaves three minutes for a capture. 88s are just too slow.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 04:33:54 PM »
I just tried this again to make sure nothing has changed in arena settings, or something. I hit the neighboring radar 100 times with puffy AA making sure the puffy was directly above the radar tower. No damage. Three direct hits kill it immediately.

In about two hours I will repeat the test with indirect and direct observers to see if what they see agrees with my viewpoint.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 06:55:51 PM »
I watched it live, on the film, and changed sides and walked around in a chute to see the gun that was doing it's inclination.

You don't have to believe it so you can pretend it doesn't happen..........but it does.

I have also duplicated it by shooting down enemy base assets and likely have already posted films of it only for the same denial response.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 07:50:52 PM »
I tested with someone that saw the same thing you did icepac. While I fired something like 1,000 rounds and only killed 1 gun (that I actually hit), my helper was able to hit something like 6 guns. We are not able to repeat it on a dependable basis though. There seems to be a very narrow window in which you can score a hit, but it involves hitting an area above and beyond your actual target. In other words, it is a difficult thing to do reliably.

Still trying to repeat it.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 07:59:03 AM »
Cool.........good to see someone is working on it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »
Even using the same method that I use for the M4 this is hard to reproduce reliably, however I think I have discovered what the issue is. If you have the gun set to a point where AP would ordinarily hit the target you are aiming for, but instead you use the AA (puffy) round, then the same number of hits that AP would take will take it down with AA. It is acting as if the game is doing both calculations simultaneously. It would be interesting to see if it would take out both an airplane and a tank at the same time with one shot, but it is difficult to setup.

Bear in mind that this is just a guess and not a sure thing.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 06:37:40 PM »
Again. i do not belive that anyone can land a hit (and absolutley not take down an entire base) in an 88 on a target they cant see.

I can assure you being a squad mate of Chalange & waiting in the M3 to drive on base for the capture. He can take down an entire V-base without being able to see it.
Some place on the BBS I think he posted film of this using a M4/75.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »
completely different issue.

This issue is a 88mm firing way over a base and any object that is directly below where the shell as it goes over........takes a hit.

The shell continues on and blows up with a black puff long after it passed over and struck whatever was directly below it.

An analogy using ILS is that the shell only has to intercept the "localizer" and that it's glideslope doesn't matter as long as the shell flies past the object.

I guess I will have to post the films (again) but the current viewer doesn't seem to play them well.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:24:44 PM by icepac »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 07:18:52 PM »
I think you need to try it before you will know for sure. For instance, you cannot tell how far above the base a puffy ack is. It seems like far above when it is past the base, but the AP shell using the same aim point lands on target.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:28:19 PM by Chalenge »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 07:26:31 PM »
I know this...........and that's why this thread is about the 88mm glitch and not anything else.

I switched sides to see who was lobbing shells over the field and causing things he did not hit explode and he was in the 88.

The 88 is the only ground based gun that has "puffy" ack explosions.

The 88 is what we are talking about.

You know, the 88.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 07:29:43 PM »
Read what I posted just before Lyrics' post. What I said there is in full agreement with you.